Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Replacing brakes at 33k miles on a 2013 CPO RX350, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 01:08 PM
Cheleboo6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing brakes at 33k miles on a 2013 CPO RX350, is this normal?

Hi All. I purchased a Lexus CPO-2013 Lexus RX 350 in May 2016. The SUV had about 23K miles on it. I took it in for factory maintenance today and was told that I need front BRAKES at 33K miles. I understand I didn't buy it New but as a CPO, I should not have to replace front brakes so soon. Am I wrong? I asked to talk to the service manager who states it just part of normal wear and tear. Warranty will not cover it. Smh. Please advise.
Old 01-27-17, 01:13 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Certified typically means it has at least 50% life remaining.
Old 01-27-17, 01:23 PM
Cheleboo6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX_330
Certified typically means it has at least 50% life remaining.
thanks! After 8 months...thats not even 50%.
Old 01-27-17, 01:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

CPO means the brake pads should have had a minimum of 6mm remaining (average new is ~10mm I believe). So you should ask how many mm are they measuring the pads at now to be recommending replacement. They should also have on the CPO report what it was at when you bought it.

http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...t-brochure.pdf
Old 01-27-17, 01:58 PM
Cheleboo6
Driver School Candidate

They claim it was 7mm when I purchased it and now it's measuring 3 mm. This is my second Lexus. The previous Lexus was a 2011 ES 350 and I drove the hell out of it. My driving styles hasn't changed actually it has....i'm not as rough on my SUV as I was on my car. From what the dealer is telling me, I'll be replacing brake pads every year. I don't think so. Last Lexus I will ever own!!!! The dealer is always trying to rip you off.
Old 01-27-17, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheleboo6
. My driving styles hasn't changed..
You said you are hard on your cars, so I guess you have answered the reason as to why your brakes are not lasting that long.
Old 01-27-17, 04:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
CPO means the brake pads should have had a minimum of 6mm remaining (average new is ~10mm I believe). So you should ask how many mm are they measuring the pads at now to be recommending replacement. They should also have on the CPO report what it was at when you bought it.

http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...t-brochure.pdf
Precisely

They claim it was 7mm when I purchased it and now it's measuring 3 mm. This is my second Lexus. The previous Lexus was a 2011 ES 350 and I drove the hell out of it. My driving styles hasn't changed actually it has....i'm not as rough on my SUV as I was on my car. From what the dealer is telling me, I'll be replacing brake pads every year. I don't think so. Last Lexus I will ever own!!!! The dealer is always trying to rip you off.
After 8 months of hard driving it's very possible for you to wear the brake pads down by 4mm. Also if you were comparing a new ES to your old 2011 ES then you might have a legitimate argument. But you're trying to compare a 3600lb vehicle against a 4400lb vehicle. Apples and pineapples.
Old 01-27-17, 04:34 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You could always find an independent shop to replace pads, or learn how to replace yourself if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. How long did brake pads last you on your ES? The RX is a bigger/heavier machine to keep hauling down from speed.
Old 01-27-17, 05:12 PM
Cheleboo6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You said you are hard on your cars, so I guess you have answered the reason as to why your brakes are not lasting that long.
I also said my cars not this truck. I could see if I commuted in heavy traffic to work...idk. I have another mechanic that I will be taking it too . I've had enough.
Old 01-27-17, 05:14 PM
Cheleboo6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Precisely

After 8 months of hard driving it's very possible for you to wear the brake pads down by 4mm. Also if you were comparing a new ES to your old 2011 ES then you might have a legitimate argument. But you're trying to compare a 3600lb vehicle against a 4400lb vehicle. Apples and pineapples.
You may be right. I'll figure it out. Thanks.
Old 01-27-17, 05:22 PM
Cheleboo6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pbm317
You could always find an independent shop to replace pads, or learn how to replace yourself if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. How long did brake pads last you on your ES? The RX is a bigger/heavier machine to keep hauling down from speed.
Oh, I know and will. The point I'm trying to make is after having this vehicle for only 8 months it needs a major repair like brakes. I have had several cars and suvs and never had to replace brake pads so soon with less than 35k miles on it. I owned a GMC Acadia way bigger than the Rx and never had this type of issue. I purchAsed that used as well.
Old 01-27-17, 05:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

snip... Last Lexus I will ever own!!!! snip...
That's a bit dramatic now...

Oh, I know and will. The point I'm trying to make is after having this vehicle for only 8 months it needs a major repair like brakes. I have had several cars and suvs and never had to replace brake pads so soon with less than 35k miles on it. I owned a GMC Acadia way bigger than the Rx and never had this type of issue. I purchAsed that used as well.
I'm sorry, since when are brakes a major repair...You must not have owned a domestic vehicle for long.
Old 01-28-17, 02:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi All. I purchased a Lexus CPO-2013 Lexus RX 350 in May 2016. The SUV had about 23K miles on it. I took it in for factory maintenance today and was told that I need front BRAKES at 33K miles. I understand I didn't buy it New but as a CPO, I should not have to replace front brakes so soon. Am I wrong? I asked to talk to the service manager who states it just part of normal wear and tear. Warranty will not cover it. Smh. Please advise.
Unless you demanded, or they told you, that they replaced the brakes before your purchase, you purchased a car with 23K miles on the brakes, and yes, it is normal wear and tear. It's a used car, not a new car, and you take the good with the bad.

You keep saying "8 months" but that's not relevant. The car is 4 years old, not 8 months old. The CPO warranty covers whatever it says it covers, and that's it. If, as people above noted, they sold you a car with brake pads below the CPO requirements, that's your only claim. But, good luck proving the level of the brake pads as of 8 moths ago...
Old 01-28-17, 03:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as everyone said, The car was bought 8 months ago, and brakes are wear and tear item.

even if you drove little miles, the dealership will not honor the replacement since it's been war too

long. And brake pads replacement is not a major work at all. If you think the dealer price is too high,

just find a mechanic to work on it. Even if you buy a factory pads and pay the labor, it shouldn't be over

200 bucks without have the discs turned.
Old 01-28-17, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

The point I'm trying to make is after having this vehicle for only 8 months it needs a major repair like brakes.
but it was 3+ yrs old when you bought it so the 8mos is irrelevant. also, if it had 23k in 3yrs, that's pretty low miles so it may have had a lot of stop and go driving, less highway, i.e., hard on the brakes.

Originally Posted by hypervish
You must not have owned a domestic vehicle for long.
my ford explorer ran over 100k before i sold it and i never had any brake parts replaced.

Quick Reply: Replacing brakes at 33k miles on a 2013 CPO RX350, is this normal?