Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 10:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride;9760887[b
]Lexus has a full and relatively fresh sedan portfolio[/b]. I wouldn't say they are "moving away" from sedans, but like all automakers they know that R&D should be biased more toward future SUVs.

I'd say the GS and ES are getting long in the tooth, but it's not like they are easily outclassed by the competition. They still hold their own pretty well and offer an excellent value proposition. The current LS is like a 5 year old stale loaf of bread; but from what I've seen of the next gen LS, it does appear that Lexus is committed to pushing the buck forward and making some solid sedans.
I'd argue against the bold. No compact sedan, no 4-door coupes, a dearth of full-on "F" models. They could definitely stand to cover more bases.
Old 02-05-17, 10:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'd argue against the bold. No compact sedan, no 4-door coupes, a dearth of full-on "F" models. They could definitely stand to cover more bases.
I don't think the full on F models are very successful for Lexus. But looking at the LC500, that is one outstanding effort. I was not sure about the LC but opinion has certainly changed about it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-05-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
No SUV on the planet will handle as nicely as an M3.
Have you sampled a Grand Cherokee SRT-8? It may not quite equal an M3, but it's arguably the best-handling SUV in the business.
Old 02-05-17, 04:47 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, what Lexus offers is basically a bunch of reworked Toyotas. They have no answer for tier 1 premium SUVs from BMW, Audi, MB, RR, Porsche - and even Acura MDX and Infiniti QX60 are far superior 7 seaters to the GX.
Depends on your criteria. MDX is a nice car and has advantages on the GX but it's fit and finish doesn't match the GX. As for infinity, just no. Neither feel as premium to me. I was surprised to learn Lexus still sells 2500 gx per month given all the bad press they get as being dinosaurs. I love mine and it seems a lot of people agree.
Old 02-05-17, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you sampled a Grand Cherokee SRT-8? It may not quite equal an M3, but it's arguably the best-handling SUV in the business.
Have you driven one? I wouldn't call it a great handling SUV at all. It's a brute force machine, not so much a good handler.

Many SUVs I'd say handle better.
Old 02-05-17, 05:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clerkp
Depends on your criteria. MDX is a nice car and has advantages on the GX but it's fit and finish doesn't match the GX. As for infinity, just no. Neither feel as premium to me. I was surprised to learn Lexus still sells 2500 gx per month given all the bad press they get as being dinosaurs. I love mine and it seems a lot of people agree.
The GX doesn't feel premium at all, the MDX has far superior fit and finish. The GX reeks of Toyota on the interior, with cheap dash, cheap fake wood trim, and antiquated infotainment system that is slow as molasses and doesn't even have remote touch. And don't even get me started on the rear door. And its driving manners are probably the worst of any passenger vehicle on the road today. It does sell in pretty high numbers, and I can only guess that people that buy it only care about having a large SUV with a premium badge and it probably sells/leases cheaper than competition.
Old 02-05-17, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Have you driven one? I wouldn't call it a great handling SUV at all. It's a brute force machine, not so much a good handler.

Many SUVs I'd say handle better.
The SRT sits lower than a standard JGC for a lower center of gravity, has extra bracing in the structure to resist flexing, and has different suspension/tires. I won't say that it can quite handle with an M3, though (I've sampled both).

And, the last M3 I sampled (from the last-generation version), I wasn't that impressed with on the street....the ultra-stiff suspension, more or less comparable to a Mitsubishi Evo, seemed set up for more a glass-smooth race-track than for street use. The 335i and its in-line 6 actually had more torque, though less HP, than the M3's V8. I thought that the 335i was a far better machine for everyday street use...it had close to what I thought was an absolutely perfect combination of ride and handling, even with the Sport Package and 35-series tires. I considered buying an X-Drive AWD version, except that the poor reliability record (especially with fuel pumps), snooty dealerships, and reputation for expensive maintenance when the warranty was up turned me off.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-05-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The question is have you driven one? Specifically an SRT8. I have, it's nothing even remotely close to something like a Porsche Cayenne or even a sport packaged X5. Many, many better handling SUVs.

I wouldn't even put it in the top 15.
Old 02-05-17, 05:36 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The GX doesn't feel premium at all.
It does to me. The MDX felt cheap. Closer to a Honda and than a luxury car. GX premium costs about the same as an MDX advanced after discounts. Like I said, it's a nice car and has its advantages. Nice gas mileage, it's bigger. Probably a better value. But definitely not in the same class as the gx luxury wise. Again, just my opinion. Once they bring put the 7 seat RX that will certainly compete better with the MDX and probably blow the doors off of it. Seems like Lexus knows the GX serves a niche market but 2500 a month is pretty solid 7 years after the last refresh.
Old 02-05-17, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The question is have you driven one?
Once, I believe, though it was some time ago. Until that BIG new Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler shop opened up in Chantilly, they were rather hard to find.
Old 02-05-17, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Once, I believe, though it was some time ago. Until that BIG new Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler shop opened up in Chantilly, they were rather hard to find.
If it's that faint a memory I would think twice before declaring it the best handling SUV ever lol
Old 02-05-17, 05:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The question is have you driven one? Specifically an SRT8. I have, it's nothing even remotely close to something like a Porsche Cayenne or even a sport packaged X5. Many, many better handling SUVs.

I wouldn't even put it in the top 15.
Seconded. The SRT-8 won't embarrass itself but it's still a bruiser.
Old 02-05-17, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If it's that faint a memory I would think twice before declaring it the best handling SUV ever lol
Cars, to me, are like an extension of my own body....they've always been an intimate part of my life (at least the secular part). I can vividly remember cars I drove almost 50 years ago, during high school, all over the the eastern third of the country.

The SRT was, from what I remember, probably the best-handling SUV I've tried...but then again, I haven't tried a Cayenne. Despite my passion for vehicle-reviews, I never had much interest in the Cayenne...or any review-requests from anyone. Although they've admittedly made a lot of money selling Cayennes, Porsche is, IMO, a sports-car company.
Old 02-05-17, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But yet you can't be sure that you've actually driven one.

The SRT8 is not in any way an elite handler for an SUV. You don't even need to go to a Cayenne to get something better.

It's like saying a Challenger Hellcat is a great handler. It's really not, it's just really fast.
Old 02-05-17, 05:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

GC SRT8 is probably a good choice for someone who considers Charger SRT8 but would like the convenience that SUVs offer. They probably have similar driving dynamics.

Quick Reply: Lexus is moving away from sedans and toward SUVs