Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Plus "Upfront Pricing"

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 07:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I owned a new Saturn (2001) and later a new Scion (2006) so I've dealt with the "no haggle price" two times and I liked it. It made haggling over the value of my trades more important but overall I liked the experience. My 2001 Saturn SL2 really ended up being a great car. Put over 100k mikes on it and had a great time.

It it is my impression (opinion, no facts) that the set pricing strategy of Saturn and Scion had little to nothing to do with their demise. Stop innovating and putting out competitive products and people will stop buying, negotiable price or not.
Old 02-12-17, 03:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I owned a new Saturn (2001) and later a new Scion (2006) so I've dealt with the "no haggle price" two times and I liked it. It made haggling over the value of my trades more important but overall I liked the experience. My 2001 Saturn SL2 really ended up being a great car. Put over 100k mikes on it and had a great time.
You certainly weren't alone.

It it is my impression (opinion, no facts) that the set pricing strategy of Saturn and Scion had little to nothing to do with their demise.
Correct. What actually happened, in history, pretty much backed up what you say.

Stop innovating and putting out competitive products and people will stop buying, negotiable price or not.
To some extent, though, it depends on the vehicle. VW, for example, was able to sell the rear-engined, air-cooled Beetle overseas for over 60 years, even long after it had left the American market.
Old 09-05-17, 08:20 AM
Craigis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having been in the car business before, I can state for a fact that most customers who spend weeks haggling on price, gave it all back and more in the F&I office. Inflated money factors on leases, tire warranties, etc etc % rates on buys, money moved all over the place. That said, when my lease is up, I will probably move on.
Old 09-05-17, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigis350
Having been in the car business before, I can state for a fact that most customers who spend weeks haggling on price, gave it all back and more in the F&I office. Inflated money factors on leases, tire warranties, etc etc % rates on buys, money moved all over the place. That said, when my lease is up, I will probably move on.
I'm sure they do. I don't.
Old 09-05-17, 09:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigis350
Actually i never had any issues with Finance office.
Never bought one thing from them and my upfront fees and monthly payments are all fixed before I walk in to the office.

I just confirm and sign, in and out.

I do agree that most ppl get taken for a ride especially seniors. I was at Subaru dealer waiting for oil change - during which my advisor thought i had 6cyl not 4 and was going to put wrong oil, but thats another story.

So while im killing time, overheard sales lady just throw a lease # at this elderly couple and they respond - yes that will work. Zero negotiations.

Im sure they will get raped in finance office for additional warranties, fees, accessories etc.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-05-17 at 09:54 AM.