Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sister is looking for a car, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd prefer she had that luxury/premium vehicle in that regard to. Luckily a few models mentioned above like the Highlander and Jeep Grand Cherokee have some decently upscale cabin materials.
Something like a Grand Cherokee or a Highlander will be fine, but I would suggest she stay away from entries that are clearly economy vehicles like the Rav4, CRV, Tuscon, Rogue, etc. The Mazda CX-5 feels and looks upscale enough especially in GT trim that its likely fine. She has an opportunity here to give herself a leg up though and she should take it.
Old 02-08-17, 01:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
People care about things and use different information to make decisions about people subconsciously that they don't even realize they are using. People's clothes matter, how they appear matters, how they present themselves when you first meet them matters.

You say that you didn't care what they drove....you wanted them to do a good job. Okay, when somebody pulls up in your driveway to list your house, or you see them for the first time...how do you determine whether or not they will do a good job for you? If they have been recommended to you, or sell a lot of homes in your neighborhood, or have a ton of great reviews and a track record of success those are all ways....but...what if somebody has none of those things because they are new? You go with what your impression of them is as a person and a professional when you meet them. Like it or not, that impression is impacted by what car they are driving, what clothes they are wearing, whether they are fat, thin, tall or short, how they look, how they speak and carry themselves. This is human nature.

When you are out with an agent and they are showing you homes, their car is a big part of the impression you are going to form of them, which is why its important. Its not that she can't be successful with a CR-V, she certainly can, but having something like an RDX or an MKC or something like that will project a more successful and professional image which will help her a little bit while she's new, and down the line when she's successful also. I've been doing this for going on 15 years, I'm telling you that this is absolutely 100% factual truth. Its the same way if they show up in nicely tailored clothes that are stylish and fit well, vs something off the rack that makes them look frumpy.

It goes both ways BTW. I was at a walkthrough for a $650,000 TH a few months ago (which as you know is not a super expensive home here, very ordinary), they were my buyers and the listing agent rolls up in a $230,000 Bentley Continental GT. Thats just stupid. You want people to think you're overpaid? Drive that around and tell them they should pay you 3% of the value of their home. My clients laughed out loud...so yes people do notice.

This absolutely goes into my decision about what I drive. Its the #1 reason I chose the LS over a Jag XJ. The XJ is no costlier, in fact its a little cheaper...but its way flashier and more ostentatious. The Lexus LS is a great salesman's car, it projects success and gives you a great driving experience without slapping your wealth in peoples faces...because yeah...good salespeople make a lot of money.
Along these same lines, whenever we have a repairman, tradesman etc. come to the house, I always make a point to look at their truck to see if it is clean and well maintained. To me it reflects on their attention to detail and a certain pride in their job and image. Recent examples that have passed my "test" were furnace repair man and carpet cleaners - Both had vans and equipment that they could be proud of.
Old 02-08-17, 01:45 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The Volvo XC60 could be a decent choice, but I'm not sure how robust the dealer network is there. Idk if lease deals are good either.
Old 02-08-17, 07:07 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

People care about things and use different information to make decisions about people subconsciously that they don't even realize they are using. People's clothes matter, how they appear matters, how they present themselves when you first meet them matters.

You say that you didn't care what they drove....you wanted them to do a good job. Okay, when somebody pulls up in your driveway to list your house, or you see them for the first time...how do you determine whether or not they will do a good job for you? If they have been recommended to you, or sell a lot of homes in your neighborhood, or have a ton of great reviews and a track record of success those are all ways....but...what if somebody has none of those things because they are new? You go with what your impression of them is as a person and a professional when you meet them. Like it or not, that impression is impacted by what car they are driving, what clothes they are wearing, whether they are fat, thin, tall or short, how they look, how they speak and carry themselves. This is human nature.

When you are out with an agent and they are showing you homes, their car is a big part of the impression you are going to form of them, which is why its important. Its not that she can't be successful with a CR-V, she certainly can, but having something like an RDX or an MKC or something like that will project a more successful and professional image which will help her a little bit while she's new, and down the line when she's successful also. I've been doing this for going on 15 years, I'm telling you that this is absolutely 100% factual truth. Its the same way if they show up in nicely tailored clothes that are stylish and fit well, vs something off the rack that makes them look frumpy.

It goes both ways BTW. I was at a walkthrough for a $650,000 TH a few months ago (which as you know is not a super expensive home here, very ordinary), they were my buyers and the listing agent rolls up in a $230,000 Bentley Continental GT. Thats just stupid. You want people to think you're overpaid? Drive that around and tell them they should pay you 3% of the value of their home. My clients laughed out loud...so yes people do notice.

This absolutely goes into my decision about what I drive. Its the #1 reason I chose the LS over a Jag XJ. The XJ is no costlier, in fact its a little cheaper...but its way flashier and more ostentatious. The Lexus LS is a great salesman's car, it projects success and gives you a great driving experience without slapping your wealth in peoples faces...because yeah...good salespeople make a lot of money.
I totally understand what you are saying, and admittedly I'm not in real estate, but I think that depends on the price point she is selling. Our realtor in Charlotte drove a Jag. Our realtor in Dallas, who sold us our house, drove a Mercedes E-Class. However, if I'd been buying in the $250k-$300k range I think I would have been fine with someone driving a non-luxury vehicle because I would have been buying at a lower price point and the perception would have been that she knew the "hood", no?

Also, the OP's sister is looking at keeping payments to $400 per month. Not a lot of luxury vehicles that come in at that range.

My recommendation would really be a sedan because 1) they are not as hot as SUVs so there a deals to be had and she can move up a notch and 2) it would be easier for clients to get in and out when looking at houses.
Old 02-08-17, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Along these same lines, whenever we have a repairman, tradesman etc. come to the house, I always make a point to look at their truck to see if it is clean and well maintained. To me it reflects on their attention to detail and a certain pride in their job and image. Recent examples that have passed my "test" were furnace repair man and carpet cleaners - Both had vans and equipment that they could be proud of.
Now......that part, I'll agree with. Pride in one's job often reflects in pride in one's vehicle, more so than what brand or class of vehicle that person actually drives.
Old 02-08-17, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I totally understand what you are saying, and admittedly I'm not in real estate, but I think that depends on the price point she is selling. Our realtor in Charlotte drove a Jag. Our realtor in Dallas, who sold us our house, drove a Mercedes E-Class. However, if I'd been buying in the $250k-$300k range I think I would have been fine with someone driving a non-luxury vehicle because I would have been buying at a lower price point and the perception would have been that she knew the "hood", no?
Its not that "you have to have a luxury car to sell real estate", thats absolutely not the case. All I'm saying is having a certain caliber of vehicle helps give you that little but of credibility when meeting somebody, and when you are new in this business any little bit of help with credibility helps a lot. The goal is to avoid people thinking you're new, or asking how long you've been in the business. When I was new for instance I wore a suit all the time, nowadays I don't. I don't have to try as hard now because all of my business is past clients and referrals, and I have a reputation and a track record to rely on. When you're new you need every edge. If you roll up in a nice Acura or something, you look legit right off the bat.

I would hope that even in a higher price range you would have been fine with your realtors that you chose and trust driving a non luxury vehicle too lol.

Also, the OP's sister is looking at keeping payments to $400 per month. Not a lot of luxury vehicles that come in at that range.
I think you'd be surprised. You can easily get an Acura or a Lincoln or a Buick or something like that for that money. Like I said, even a Jeep or something, I would just stay away from obviously economy vehicles, such as a CR-V or Rav 4, as far as a car no Corollas, etc.

My recommendation would really be a sedan because 1) they are not as hot as SUVs so there a deals to be had and she can move up a notch and 2) it would be easier for clients to get in and out when looking at houses.
Actually crossovers are easier to get clients into and out of. I'm one of the rare ones that still drives a big sedan, although I don't drive buyers around as much as I used to (as you mature as an agent typically you start doing more listings than working with buyers). One of the big reasons realtors love huge SUVs are the tax benefits of owning a vehicle over 6,000lbs GVWR.
Old 02-08-17, 07:46 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Its not that "you have to have a luxury car to sell real estate", thats absolutely not the case. All I'm saying is having a certain caliber of vehicle helps give you that little but of credibility when meeting somebody, and when you are new in this business any little bit of help with credibility helps a lot. The goal is to avoid people thinking you're new, or asking how long you've been in the business. When I was new for instance I wore a suit all the time, nowadays I don't. I don't have to try as hard now because all of my business is past clients and referrals, and I have a reputation and a track record to rely on. When you're new you need every edge. If you roll up in a nice Acura or something, you look legit right off the bat.

I would hope that even in a higher price range you would have been fine with your realtors that you chose and trust driving a non luxury vehicle too lol.

I think you'd be surprised. You can easily get an Acura or a Lincoln or a Buick or something like that for that money. Like I said, even a Jeep or something, I would just stay away from obviously economy vehicles, such as a CR-V or Rav 4, as far as a car no Corollas, etc.

Actually crossovers are easier to get clients into and out of. I'm one of the rare ones that still drives a big sedan, although I don't drive buyers around as much as I used to (as you mature as an agent typically you start doing more listings than working with buyers). One of the big reasons realtors love huge SUVs are the tax benefits of owning a vehicle over 6,000lbs GVWR.
Ahhhh, totally understand now. You are the expert in this field. I will go with your recommendations.

I sent you a PM, BTW.

Last edited by dseag2; 02-08-17 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Got it and responded!

Yeah getting started in this business is extraordinarily hard. Thats why 80% of people who get in are gone within 2 years, and 90% of the business done is done by 10% of the people.
Old 02-08-17, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah getting started in this business is extraordinarily hard. Thats why 80% of people who get in are gone within 2 years, and 90% of the business done is done by 10% of the people.
The D.C. area is also one of the few areas in the country where economic conditions make it recession-resistant (some say recession-proof) and there is almost always a demand for real estate, and for agents to help sell it. One can generally thank the local presence of the Federal Government (which never goes out of business) and the many local high-tech firms for that...more or less an Eastern version of California's Silicon Valley.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-17 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

In my experience, most realtors are absolutely terrible. Seems to be a chosen profession by many who can't figure put something else to do yet think they can make a lot as a realtor while often investing next to nothing. Don't get me started with how clueless realtors are with technology (and b***h loudly about it) yet refuse to learn anything itand get the cheapest laptop, printers, etc. finally they take AWFUL photos of homes for sale and wonder why they get no leads...

what they drive is often the least of their troubles.

and sw15ls, you've tightly stereotyped and pigeon holed what you believe a rookier realtor should drive, like not a bentley, but not a mainstream brand, a luxury brand yet a mazda cx5 is ok, i don't get that. anyway, my point is it does depend on the clientele. If you're acting as buyer's or seller's agent for first time home buyer millennials on a budget for example, they may appreciate someone with a more frugal/practical but still well kept vehicle like a new cr-v which i think would be perfect. They may be utterly unimpressed and even turned off by that acura, lexus, audi, etc.
Old 02-08-17, 08:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Subaru Outback is the Perfect car for your criteria.
Our new Legacy has been great thus far.

Best bang for $400 - you can get loaded Maxima or Q50.
For SUVs i would get the CRV, new one is very impressive.
CX5 has very small rear seat.
Old 02-08-17, 08:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The D.C. area is also one of the few areas in the country where economic conditions make it recession-resistant (some say recession-proof) and there is almost always a demand for real estate, and for agents to help sell it. One can generally thank the local presence of the Federal government (which never goes out of business) and the many local high-tech firms for that...more or less an Eastern version of California's Silicon Valley.
Its a great market to be in the real estate business, but it is also incredibly, incredibly competitive.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
In my experience, most realtors are absolutely terrible. Seems to be a chosen profession by many who can't figure put something else to do yet think they can make a lot as a realtor while often investing next to nothing. Don't get me started with how clueless realtors are with technology (and b***h loudly about it) yet refuse to learn anything itand get the cheapest laptop, printers, etc. finally they take AWFUL photos of homes for sale and wonder why they get no leads...
Come on now, I won't insult your profession how about you do me the courtesy of not insulting mine (not to mention that of the OP's sister who is the subject of this thread)? While there are certainly bad people out there in any profession, and the low barrier of entry makes my profession a harbor for idiots I will concede, many of the most upstanding, ethical and hardworking people I have met in my life I have met through my involvement in the real estate industry. Your comments here are off topic, and out of line.

I will also tell you that the vast majority of real estate agents do not make a lot of money, and yes those that are good can make a lot of money...which is true in any sort of high yield sales. Yes, being "good" at making money does not always equal being good at being an effective representative of people...but as I said...that exists in every industry.

Its not easy. Real estate agents work hard. 7 days a week, often 10-15 hour days. Lots of time on the road, time away from family. Very hard to take a vacation, and costs of operating a successful practice are way higher than you think (I know big agent teams who's overhead is 6 figures a month, and single practitioners who's overhead is 5 figures a month). You also do a lot of work that goes uncompensated and towards an uncertain result. Might interest you to know that I personally have not had a day off in 2017, and generally only see my kids for 45 minutes or so a day. Theres a picture of me walking into the OR to watch my kids be born on the phone working. I work hard. Not complaining, I do very well but the notion that a successful real estate agent just sits around and rakes in cash with no outlay, risk, or effort is pure fantasy.

and sw15ls, you've tightly stereotyped and pigeon holed what you believe a rookier realtor should drive, like not a bentley, but not a mainstream brand, a luxury brand yet a mazda cx5 is ok, i don't get that. anyway, my point is it does depend on the clientele. If you're acting as buyer's or seller's agent for first time home buyer millennials on a budget for example, they may appreciate someone with a more frugal/practical but still well kept vehicle like a new cr-v which i think would be perfect. They may be utterly unimpressed and even turned off by that acura, lexus, audi, etc.
Seeing that I'm the one here who actually is in this profession and the OP was specifically asking for advice about what a good vehicle for his sister starting out in my industry I think my viewpoint is of value. You can disagree, but you don't have the practical experience in this industry and on this subject that I do.

I also said that it is market dependent, but I stand by what I said that if you are a new real estate agent you are better served getting an upscale, reasonable car and that it will project a certain credibility that will be of value to you starting out. I've been doing this for 14 years, started when I was 22 (getting people to trust a 22 year old with the sale of their million $ house is a trick, but I did it with great success) but what do I know?

Its not the end of the world if she buys a CR-V...it just won't give her that little boost something more upscale would. The odds are hugely against her success, so any boost she should take.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-08-17 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Come on now, I won't insult your profession how about you do me the courtesy of not insulting mine
no need to take it personally, you yourself said "80% of people who get in are gone within 2 years, and 90% of the business done is done by 10% of the people." and i said, in agreement with you 'most' not 'all'. There are no doubt many great realtors too, and no doubt from all you've said you certainly know what you're doing.

plenty of people who don't know what they're doing in my business too.

when you were a 22 yr old rookie realtor, what did you drive?
Old 02-08-17, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

no need to take it personally, you yourself said "80% of people who get in are gone within 2 years, and 90% of the business done is done by 10% of the people." and i said, in agreement with you 'most' not 'all'. There are no doubt many great realtors too, and no doubt from all you've said you certainly know what you're doing.
I wouldn't even say "most". Fact is that most of the people that I have met in the real estate industry have been upstanding, hardworking people that genuinely want to do right by their clients and their families. Many people sadly who are like that still don't survive in the business, and many of the slimy unscrupulous ones succeed and go on to make gobs of money. Thats just one of those things about life thats unfair.

One of the big issues is barrier of entry, its too easy to get licensed and too cheap to stay licensed (note staying licensed and running a successful practice are two different things). Unfortunately thats how brokers make money, they don't make money off of people like me, they make money off of the poor rube who pays $270 for a pre-licensing class and goes on to sell one house for their brother the broker gets 50% for after selling them signs, lockboxes, business cards, websites, etc. Thats what makes the business so screwed up.

when you were a 22 yr old rookie realtor, what did you drive?
I drove a Lexus ES300. It made a big difference.
Old 02-08-17, 09:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

CRV is the smart choice. Efficiency, space, reliability, affordable, high resale, and responsive. The RDX would be all that too, but just splurging more with luxuries and prestige. So that is a money choice. Stick with the Asian makes if she wants no hassle ownership over the course of years.

Quick Reply: Sister is looking for a car, need suggestions