Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Who ever could of predicted a Hyundai would ever outsell the LS flagship?

Also for those saying watch LS sales after the new model, once you lose your client base to the competition whether they went to Sclass or G90 etc, its much harder to get them back.
Come on! The current LS is DOA, there is an all new model coming out in a few months, dealers don't even have LS's in stock. Of course sales are down to the floor. Have you ever looked at the last year sales for any model? Did you look at S Class sales last month? Down 37%. LS buyers are waiting for the new LS, dealers are waiting for the new LS. So Genesis was able to outsell the 11 year old LS460 after the media and press launch of the all new LS500 when dealers aren't stocking the LS and there are currently not even any factory to dealer incentives. Thats like a runner crowing that they were able to finish a race before a guy with one leg and lung cancer.

If the G90 is still outselling the LS when the LS500 debuts come talk to me. If that happens...I'll buy you a G90 lol
Old 03-03-17, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Also for those saying watch LS sales after the new model, once you lose your client base to the competition whether they went to Sclass or G90 etc, its much harder to get them back.

Not in today's world. Except maybe for some American full-sized pickups and the Camry/Accord, we don't see the intense loyalty to brands that existed decades ago. That's one thing (among many) that makes the current auto industry so competitive.
Old 03-03-17, 08:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Perhaps the same? The LS is not a new kid on the block, it will do fine. Everybody else sells mostly V6 models, why wouldn't Lexus be able to sell a TTV6 LS?
Exactly. Everybody was clamoring for a new Supra too. Lets see how many of those people actually buys one and how many Toyota will actually sell. At the end of the day, it pumps out 415hp, nothing to complain about really and 200lbs lighter. The ttv8 will show up in another yr or two, something to boost sales if it starts lagging.

Last edited by situman; 03-03-17 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 08:26 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts
Talking

Who ever could of predicted a Hyundai would ever outsell the LS flagship?

They'll be back in 3 yrs after their lease is over
Old 03-03-17, 10:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

^
Maybe, maybe not - my whole family had Lexus products at one point - now we have zero.

Many other members here also are former Lex owners that have yet to go back.

Either way im sure LS will sell but my point was you can never regain MOST clients you lose.

With ISF and IS convertible they just gave the existing customer base up since those cars were discontinued.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-03-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 10:59 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^
Maybe, maybe not - my whole family had Lexus products at one point - now we have zero.

Either way im sure LS will sell but my point was you can never regain MOST clients you lose.

With ISF and IS convertible they just gave the existing customer base up since those cars were discontinued.
Loving a brand is like loving a girl, when you switch your focus on others, you are not looking back most likely.

I was a die hard Lexus fan boy five years ago, I kept buying from Lexus no matter what, but when I finally switch to others, I don't come back.
Old 03-03-17, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

^

And there are many other people who are now Lexus owners who weren't when you were a Lexus owner...so what's your point?
Old 03-03-17, 01:51 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

OP might've been argumentative, but his points are valid as most are speculation and opinionated. Saying things like "this is a trolling attempt" or "go bash somewhere else" carries a dangerous mentality that you simply can't accept other points of view. Aside from the technical mumbo-jumob and sales figures, Lexus has not tried hard enough. In fact, it's getting too comfortable in the N/A market like Audi getting too comfortable in China, and then one mishap leading to a gigantic disaster in sales (read about Audi losing market due to a huge disagreement with dealership distribution and how MBZ/BMW and American exports are taking over in the luxury market). The fact is simple: in today's industry, you can't put on a cruise control and expect people to just fall in line for you. MBZ is introducing new models; BMW is introducing new models; hell, even silly KIA and Hyundai are trying. Surely, some would fail and they would take losses. However, you know what the difference is? At least they try. Back in the 90's when the lineups were categorically simple: entry level, mid level, executive level, a coupe/convertible, SUV, done. Today, you need to be innovative to cater to niche markets and that is why we have things like CLA, LFA, 1-series, etc.

P.S.,

Just comparing features and pricing point, automakers like Ford and Hyundai are beating Lexus. You want executive level? Try the new Continental or the K900. Pricing points? 10K below the LS. Want faster/fun cars? Ford Focus RS or Mustang 5.0. Want economic boxes? Hyundai got you covered with ridiculous warranties (assuming the honoring system is equivalent to that of Lexus). I am not saying that Lexus is inferior, but strongly suggesting that something needs to be done.

Last edited by mk416; 03-03-17 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 02:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

And there are many other people who are now Lexus owners who weren't when you were a Lexus owner...so what's your point?
Point is Lexus lost significant market share over past 5years.
They sell mostly entry level priced luxury cars and have very low volume over $60k.

Its much easier to keep existing clients then win new ones - this goes for any industry.
Old 03-03-17, 03:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Where is your source that they have lost market share?

Lexus has also always sold mostly less expensive cars. The ES and RX have been their top sellers basically as long as they've existed.
Old 03-03-17, 03:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

My source is that they were #1 in sales and now they are not, thats just US market. Plus the fact you have new players like Jaguar, Maserati Genesis etc that were non-existant 5 years ago.

Globally they never had much of a market share.....

Its fine to sell bunch of ES NX and RX but to be a true luxury brand you need to sell expensive cars too at the very top of the luxury range.

People that left Lexus especially on the forums were mostly because the products and engines were stale and/or no longer market competitive. They had nothing to graduate the existing customer base to.

Those RX ES buyers will one day afford more expensive vehicle - will Lexus have something for them? They have not had that and therefore people go elsewhere.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-03-17 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

My source is that they were #1 in sales and now they are not, thats just US market. Plus the fact you have new players like Jaguar, Maserati Genesis etc that were non-existant 5 years ago.

Globally they never had much of a market share.....

Its fine to sell bunch of ES NX and RX but to be a true luxury brand you need to sell expensive cars too at the very top of the luxury range.

People that left Lexus especially on the forums were mostly because the products and engines were stale and/or no longer market competitive. They had nothing to graduate the existing customer base to.

Those RX ES buyers will one day afford more expensive vehicle - will Lexus have something for them? They have not had that and therefore people go elsewhere.
Total US 2016: Still a strong showing by Lexus
MBZ 374,541
Lexus 331,228
BMW 313,174
Source

LC, LS500, LS600hL, GS F..

Yeah it's called the LX and LS

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-03-17 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added Source
Old 03-03-17, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was an ES buyer, then I was a GS buyer, now I'm an LS buyer. Yeah, nowhere for those ES buyers to go lol. RX owner would never like an LX right?

No Lexus doesn't compete at the high end, but they never did. Then they built the LFA, now we're seeing the LC, the next LS will be upmarket. 3 row crossover coming. LX is more expensive than ever and doing well.

Silly. You don't like Lexus anymore, it's fine but why you hang around here and complain about it all the time is beyond me. Don't they have BMW forums? I'm sure they dislike Lexus too and enjoy talking about how superior a brand BMW is. Just because it no longer appeals to you doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to plenty of other people. 330,000 people in the US last year to be specific, and the thousands of Lexus owning CL posters who are enthusiastic about the brand. Unfortunately, we have to endure near constant negativity about the brand from people who don't own them or no longer own them and it really detracts from the enthusiast community. Really does. Very frustrating to be a Lexus enthusiast here. Way more so than it should be.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-03-17 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 04:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I was an ES buyer, then I was a GS buyer, now I'm an LS buyer. Yeah, nowhere for those ES buyers to go lol. RX owner would never like an LX right?

No Lexus doesn't compete at the high end, but they never did. Then they built the LFA, now we're seeing the LC, the next LS will be upmarket. 3 row crossover coming. LX is more expensive than ever and doing well.

Silly. You don't like Lexus anymore, it's fine but why you hang around here and complain about it all the time is beyond me. Don't they have BMW forums? I'm sure they dislike Lexus too and enjoy talking about how superior a brand BMW is.
I post here very rarely and exclusively in CarChat.
lots of posters including some mods are not Lex owners anymore that should not disqualify you from posting as long as its a conversation.

BMW forums has a million threads where they complain about BMW models for X reasons as well. Mostly for the failure of i brand.

Its ok to point out negatives as long as they are valid.

To have a limited 1-2 choices to upgrade to where other makes have a dozen variants is my point exactly.
Old 03-03-17, 04:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Total US 2016: Still a strong showing by Lexus
MBZ 374,541
Lexus 331,228
BMW 313,174
Source

LC, LS500, LS600hL, GS F..

Yeah it's called the LX and LS
LC 500 is not even out yet, LS600hL is special order and not officially sold.

Hopefully new LC and LS will bring momentum that will bring us new GS and more F cars.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?