Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

February 2017 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 06:25 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Porsche

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=1015

Atlanta, Georgia. Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of Porsche 911, 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman sports cars, Macan and Cayenne SUVs, and the Panamera four-door sports sedan line-up in the United States, today announced February 2017 sales of 3,637 vehicles, up 2.1 percent over February 2016 (3,561). Year-to-date Porsche recorded 8,239 vehicle sales, a 4.1 percent increase over the same period last year.

The Macan remained in strong demand with 1,575 units sold, up 55.6 percent over February 2016. Macan sales year-to-date stand at 3,535 units which represents a 42.5 percent increase over 2016. The 911 model line achieved 552 vehicle sales, an increase of 10.8 percent compared to February last year. Year-to-date sales of the 911 are up 11.9 percent with 1,366 vehicles sold.

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle sales for February were 1,430 units, a 13.2 percent increase over February last year. Year-to-date sales stand at 2,726 which is a 12.5 percent increase compared to the same period in 2016.

Old 03-02-17, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

didn't lexus say last month that it's supply issue and feb is going to get better? 500 GS in feb, that's just horrible. i honestly doubt supply is a factor at all.

s2000's post is spot on, don't forget the gs200t, who came up with that idea of such an underpowered drivetrain?
Old 03-03-17, 04:12 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
didn't lexus say last month that it's supply issue and feb is going to get better? 500 GS in feb, that's just horrible. i honestly doubt supply is a factor at all.

s2000's post is spot on, don't forget the gs200t, who came up with that idea of such an underpowered drivetrain?
Exactly......a 7 sec 0-60 grand sport sedan.....slower than my Volvo XC90
Old 03-03-17, 04:37 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Bracken

Yes, Lexus did say supply issues are the cause of their sales decline but they also said that it would not normalize until March: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9769210

http://www.hybridcars.com/february-2017-dashboard/
February 2017 Dashboardby Jeff Cobb March 2, 2017

The HybridCars.com monthly sales Dashboard is a collaboration of HybridCars.com and Baum & Associates, a Michigan-based market research firm focusing on automotive issues including the hybrid and electric vehicle market.

Overall sales for February were down slightly from a year ago but as usual for this month, they were up significantly from January. Plug-ins, hybrids, and full electrics were way up from a year ago on the strength of new products, while diesels were down.

Sales for full electric vehicles were up from February of last year based upon sales of the Chevy Bolt – which was unavailable a year ago – and growth in most vehicles with the exception of the Tesla Model S. Although the Model X sold relatively poorly, it was still in ramp up a year ago. Tesla sales were relatively poor this month in part because production has paused in order to prepare for the Model 3 launch later in the year. It also appears that underlying demand for the Model X is weak, while Model S demand continues at a good pace. Sales of the Bolt declined from January, although they will expand soon as more product becomes available and product availability expands to new parts of the country (full availability will not occur until the Fall). The category is up significantly over last year, both in February and year-to-date.

Plug in hybrids also had a very good month as compared to last year as the segment leader (Volt) sold well. Both the Volt and Prius Prime had good months and a decent level is being established for each that is quite likely to continue throughout the year. The Kia Optima plug in is in its second month. As a share of total sales, plug in sales have been at high levels for the last several months.
Hybrids had a good month, particularly for a February. The Prius Liftback had a fairly modest month but growth in the Ford Fusion and Toyota RAV4 along with strong volumes of the new Kia Niro paced total volume. The Hyundai Ioniq is also new, but volumes are very modest to date. Sales of the Honda Accord continue to impress and those numbers are likely to continue. The category is growing both year-over-year and year-to-date at a much stronger rate than the overall market, although last year’s sales were modest so it is an “easy beat.” Therefore, the share of total sales is still far below levels seen when hybrid vehicles had the high-mileage category to itself.

In the diesel category, the Ram Pickup (volumes are estimated) is the normal pacesetter and remains off the market because of a continuing investigation by the EPA and now the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Justice Department. The result is that this product is essentially off the market since Model Year 2017 product has not yet been approved. While there is no evidence to suggest that this issue rises to the level of the VW scandal, it does appear that “auxiliary emission control devices” were not reported to the EPA which is a violation of procedure. Of course, the VW, Audi, and Porsche products remain off the market (potentially never to return), even as VW is now buying back diesel models from prior years. Ironically, VW’s overall (non-diesel) sales are up as some buyers replace their diesel vehicles with other VW products, albeit not diesels. The Ford Transit is the leader in the segment by far and represents over half of the total category. While the Colorado and Canyon diesels continue to grow in volume, annual volume is around 12,000-15,000 units.

Old 03-03-17, 04:38 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Exactly......a 7 sec 0-60 grand sport sedan.....slower than my Volvo XC90
Well acceleration is not that much of a issue as much as the price you pay for it. Four bangers were supposed to make the car more affordable but instead they cost as much as 350 when similarly equipped.

Well this was bound to happen. Lexus didn't do nothing about powertrains both gasoline or hybrid for well over a decade. Just take a look at GS and IS two generations with carry over engines. They were milking the cow as much as they could and now its time to work and catch up. I really feel bad for the hybrids cause they were awesome but they got really neglected.
Old 03-03-17, 01:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

don't forget the gs200t, who came up with that idea of such an underpowered drivetrain?
well it does have more power than the old gs300's

i'd never looked at a 200t until now, and i'll never understand toyota/lexus' deal with tiny tires the don't even come close to filling the fender arches.

Old 03-03-17, 07:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

pretty on par with the competition. The BMW weighs more btw.

GS200t 241hp 258lbft
528i 240hp 260lbft
A6 252hp 273lbft
E300 241hp 273lbft
Old 03-03-17, 10:21 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Well if what Lexus said was true and supply won't normalize until March, then March will be their ultimate test to see if they were just using low supply as an excuse or if supply really did affect their sales.
Old 03-04-17, 03:04 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I will say this, it's combination of things. Lexus outdated powertrains are hurting the sales, lack of dealer incentives, and *drum roll* styling. We can argue all day long how GS looks more aggressive now after the refresh, but to all the people I speak outside of this forum, they call it plain ugly. They did not like it when it came out and after the refresh they hate it even more.

Not all car buyers are enthusiasts and Lexus fans. Unlike us, they don't close their eyes on certain imperfections and they don't try to find good in other areas, first impression for them is what they go by. Lexus made a bold move with spindle grille, and it may starting to backfire.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 03-04-17 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-04-17, 12:15 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I will say this, it's combination of things. Lexus outdated powertrains are hurting the sales, lack of dealer incentives, and *drum roll* styling. We can argue all day long how GS looks more aggressive now after the refresh, but to all the people I speak outside of this forum, they call it plain ugly. They did not like it when it came out and after the refresh they hate it even more.

Not all car buyers are enthusiasts and Lexus fans. Unlike us, they don't close their eyes on certain imperfections and they don't try to find good in other areas, first impression for them is what they go by. Lexus made a bold move with spindle grille, and it may starting to backfire.
The first car designed to carry the FINAL spindle grill design is RC. All other designs before it were meant to provide soft transition. GS was the first to ever touch the concept of spindle and it went from least obvious spindle to the most aggressive sedan spindle besides unreleased LS. Yeah it's obvious box sedan roofline doesn't flow with the aggressive wide spindle but at least they put on it. IS carried the soft spindle as well, it had the tiniest spindle to date, like a shy spindle. I'm pretty sure NX was designed without spindle in mind or with soft spindle like on previous RX. Current RX got the late minute creases all over the body so it could carry the aggressive spindle. You just need to give it time, for some reason Lexus wanted to go conservative on the most striking accent. Spindles on RC, LC and LS really do make sense now aand I'm finally glad they are all mesh weave like they are supposed to. I have no idea why they put horizontal bars on it in the first place.
Old 03-04-17, 06:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

GS200t 241hp 258lbft
528i 240hp 260lbft
A6 252hp 273lbft
E300 241hp 273lbft
Why the Lexus takes more than a second longer than the others to 60 for the most part is what makes that entire package look kind of lame. SUVs can hit that mark.

Lexus is either overstating that engine or maybe their attempt back into the turbo foray stumbled out of the box. Under square "long-stroke" bologna.

Kind of makes me skeptical of their V6 tt coming out.

Lexus just seems to have a hard time putting all the pieces together simultaneously. HP numbers looks ok for that 4, but it performs like utter crap.

V6 tt performance might be good (although based in that 4's performance, who knows) but the HP numbers looks like crap (since the competition is putting out 450+).

Apperances and numbers matter. People look at everything when they buy.
Old 03-04-17, 08:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i'd never looked at a 200t until now, and i'll never understand toyota/lexus' deal with tiny tires the don't even come close to filling the fender arches.
you are talking about a car from more than a decade ago?!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

GS200t 241hp 258lbft
528i 240hp 260lbft
A6 252hp 273lbft
E300 241hp 273lbft
really need to stop just looking at the numbers. all the competitors are considerably faster and more responsive on the road. i don't know if it's gearing or transmission but the lexus 200t is just terrible on power delivery. i am not saying competitors are fast, but i never felt like i am going to get myself killed on the road because the car just doesn't go anywhere. i had the is200t for a week as loaner and that thing was frustration to no end. the gs200t isn't any better.
Old 03-05-17, 05:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

They cant make 200t faster because you need some room to separate from the V6.

More than the power is the small price difference that make the 200t versions less of a value compared how others price their turbo 4s in their model range.

The new turbo 4 in the 530i does 0-60 in the mid 5sec range which is comparable to the V6 GS.
Old 03-05-17, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that would be a very stupid reason to make the 200t feel even slower than the old 250.

seriously, i have driven plenty of is250 before. as slow as that thing is, the is200t is just that much worse
Old 03-05-17, 10:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I don't agree with the so-called "need" to fill up the wheel wells. The more of a gap you have in the wells, the easier they are to clean...the easier you can get a hose up in there.

Quick Reply: February 2017 Sales Thread