Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Top Five (Six) Most Annoying Vehicle Technologies

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to you. but you don't like most tech on cars either, so it's not a case of being 'correct' it's just yours and his opinion.
Incorrect. There are a lot of automotive computerized features I like and appreciate.....others, as I see it, are simply unproductive and annoying.

thankfully, those opinions are obviously in the minority as the vast majority love these features.
The narrator in the video speaks for more than you might think.
Old 03-06-17, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Incorrect. There are a lot of automotive computerized features I like and appreciate.....
Such as?

10char
Old 03-06-17, 04:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The narrator in the video speaks for more than you might think.
Can you prove it?
Old 03-06-17, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Such as?
Electronic fuel injection
Electronic ignition
Anti-lock bakes.
Electronic traction control
Electronic stability systems
Satellite radio
Individual coils for each cylinder.
Car-based, electronically-controlled all-wheel-drive.
Electronic parking brakes (at least for automatic transmissions)

All of these electronic features, IMO, (especially EFI) have been invaluable in the development of the modern car. But some other features are simply annoying or, IMO, unnecessary.
Old 03-06-17, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Electronic fuel injection lol...not exactly the kind of technology we're talking about lol
Old 03-06-17, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Electronic fuel injection lol...not exactly the kind of technology we're talking about lol
You asked a question....what specifically were the electronic computerized features I liked and appreciated? If you don't want to hear my answer, then don't ask the question.
Old 03-06-17, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's like asking "what new technologies do you like and appreciate" and the answer being "I love electric light bulbs".
Old 03-06-17, 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's like asking "what new technologies do you like and appreciate" and the answer being "I love electric light bulbs".
EFI probably made a greater impact to the modern automobile than just about anything else I can think of....with electronic and/or computerized ignition right behind it in second place. If you had grown up with carburetors and breaker-points (which I assume, like me, that you did)...you would understand why.
Old 03-09-17, 08:10 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Never a dull moment on CL. I'm dying here
Old 03-09-17, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Never a dull moment on CL. I'm dying here
Haha, I do try!
Old 03-09-17, 11:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This was a really a dumb video. Almost everything on the list I would be interested in exploring more about. The keyless fob critique was a really lame thing, you put it in your pocket or purse or bag and you never have to worry about it. How difficult is that?
Old 03-10-17, 06:16 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This was a really a dumb video. Almost everything on the list I would be interested in exploring more about. The keyless fob critique was a really lame thing, you put it in your pocket or purse or bag and you never have to worry about it. How difficult is that?
Every morning, I have to fish under my heavy winter coat to take my keys out of my pocket so that I can lock the front door. Then I have to put my keys back in my pocket so that I do not drop them nor lose them before getting in the car, since I do not need the keyfob to open the car door nor start the engine. But before I put my keys away I have to properly fold my keys and keyfob away into my key wallet / holder due to the large, somewhat cumbersome size of the keyfob; this I do while my hands are full. I have tried without the wallet but it leaves an unsightly bulge in my pocket and may rip the pocket lining; I also prefer to have all my personal belongings in my pockets so that I do not leave my keys loose on a tabletop somewhere.
Old 03-10-17, 06:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The keyless fob critique was a really lame thing, you put it in your pocket or purse or bag and you never have to worry about it. How difficult is that?
I don't think he was arguing that, Jill. He simply said that it was false advertising...not true keyless technology. On that, he has a point.
Old 03-10-17, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Every morning, I have to fish under my heavy winter coat to take my keys out of my pocket so that I can lock the front door. Then I have to put my keys back in my pocket so that I do not drop them nor lose them before getting in the car, since I do not need the keyfob to open the car door nor start the engine. But before I put my keys away I have to properly fold my keys and keyfob away into my key wallet / holder due to the large, somewhat cumbersome size of the keyfob; this I do while my hands are full. I have tried without the wallet but it leaves an unsightly bulge in my pocket and may rip the pocket lining; I also prefer to have all my personal belongings in my pockets so that I do not leave my keys loose on a tabletop somewhere.
You need to do what we did, install keyless combination locks on your house. I don't have to remove my keys from my pocket for any reason now.
Old 03-10-17, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You need to do what we did, install keyless combination locks on your house. I don't have to remove my keys from my pocket for any reason now.
Several of my neighbors have a similar system, combined with motion-detectors, for security. A similar system automatically turns on the porch light.

Quick Reply: The Top Five (Six) Most Annoying Vehicle Technologies