Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac XT3 Spy-Shots.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
So why bother with the video?
Well, how else are we going to see the spy-shots...except in images and videos? Most of us are not in a position to actually see those spy-shots in person. My argument, though, (and has been for many years) is that automakers should not be doing this cover-up nonsense to start with...simply test the vehicles as they are. We're going to see them at the auto shows, anyway...so why play Hide and-go-Seek until the shows? It's ridiculous.
Old 03-06-17, 03:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

right but you chose to post the video, despite the fact that is reveals nothing. just because car makers 'mummify' their test vehicles doesn't mean we have to post pictures or videos showing said vehicles that reveal nothing.
the video still in your post even says 'review' when it's nothing of the sort, and the voice is computer-generated, and says almost nothing, just speculation.
also, the 'author's name is 'Sears Automotive', the video says 'CARSCOOPS' but the author's e-mail you can display is mudahandiet @ gmail.com - i'm sure it's official.

to me, spy shots or spy videos, to be of any value, must actually show something.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-06-17 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 04:59 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, it shows as much as Cadillac wants us to see. That's just the automakers for you. They are the ones taping up their cars like mummies, not the people making the video.
But I do not believe that it was a Cadillac-produced video.

Well, how else are we going to see the spy-shots...except in images and videos? Most of us are not in a position to actually see those spy-shots in person. My argument, though, (and has been for many years) is that automakers should not be doing this cover-up nonsense to start with...simply test the vehicles as they are. We're going to see them at the auto shows, anyway...so why play Hide and-go-Seek until the shows? It's ridiculous.
It was not even a true video; it was just someone practising their video-production skills stringing together a bunch of still pictures. Just give us the still photos; it was useless as a video.
Old 03-06-17, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
right but you chose to post the video, despite the fact that is reveals nothing. just because car makers 'mummify' their test vehicles doesn't mean we have to post pictures or videos showing said vehicles that reveal nothing.
I chose to post it, yes. And you chose to look at it.

Besides......you're a moderator. If you think it is a useless or unproductive thread, then just delete it or close it. You have that prerogative....I won't be offended. I'm sure that there will be more videos coming out later on for the XT3......if past history is any guide, YouTube will be full of them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Simple business and marketing, and it all relates to sales and money. When you have a new, good idea, you don't want your competitors to know about it and copy you. You want everything on your side to one up the other, and release something that just shocks the world and sets things on fire. There's nothing new about this concept and it is quite elementary. When you spill the beans, it diminishes your offering and gives others the chance to beat you to it. As car enthusiasts, I know we are anxious to see what's next. But it is perfectly normal and makes perfect business sense to hide the next big thing.
Old 03-06-17, 09:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

There is a 99.999999% chance this will be yet another sales dud. Everything in the last ten/twenty years Cadillac has announced and released has not gone too far or proven to be unreliable. I would suspect this will be a mildly decent offering at first, but ladened with typical flaws that keep customers away. The last five Cadillac releases alone looked promising and GM hyped the hell out of them, but all turned out to be non-movers. I doubt anything has changed from since six months ago. So please... be realistic here with your expectations. If you've been paying attention to this brand over time, and have any sort of memory, don't get too excited.
Old 03-06-17, 10:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There is a 99.999999% chance this will be yet another sales dud. Everything in the last ten/twenty years Cadillac has announced and released has not gone too far or proven to be unreliable. I would suspect this will be a mildly decent offering at first, but ladened with typical flaws that keep customers away. The last five Cadillac releases alone looked promising and GM hyped the hell out of them, but all turned out to be non-movers. I doubt anything has changed from since six months ago. So please... be realistic here with your expectations. If you've been paying attention to this brand over time, and have any sort of memory, don't get too excited.
I'm not necessarily trying to predict (or un-predict) sales...just noting that the XT3 is going to be released into a vehicle-class (compact luxury crossover SUVs/CUVs) that is arguably the fastest-growing segment in the industry. Whether it becomes an active part of that market or not remains to be seen. I personally think it will...but probably not to the extent of some of its competition.
Old 03-07-17, 06:31 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
When an automaker is late to the party, as Lexus and Cadillac have been with compact crossovers, you hope that they took the time to study what is already on the market and offer something that gives what the buyers want while leaving out what the buyers do not want. But if an automaker is very late to the party, as Cadillac is, the new product better offer something truly unique or they risk being too-little-too-late.
Old 03-07-17, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
When an automaker is late to the party, as Lexus and Cadillac have been with compact crossovers, you hope that they took the time to study what is already on the market and offer something that gives what the buyers want while leaving out what the buyers do not want. But if an automaker is very late to the party, as Cadillac is, the new product better offer something truly unique or they risk being too-little-too-late.
That's true to an extent, but it is also true that simply being a compact luxury crossover SUV in today's market is at least one feather in a vehicle's cap. Look at the Land Rover Evoque, for example, with its unreliability and Went-Halfway-Through-a-Crusher look. It still manages to sell, especially here in the huge D.C. area-market, where virtually everything sells.