Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are luxury sedans a dying breed being replaced by SUVs? (new split thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
^^^ I totally agree.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/suv...sedans-in.html

Furthermore, if we look hard at the stats, in 2014 SUV sales were 36.5%.
However, sedan sales aren't really 35.4%.
Sedan sales is actually 35.4% + hatchback sales of 5.5% + station wagon sales of 1.2% = a total of 42.1% sales, meaning that back in 2014, combined sales of sedans/hatchbacks/wagons still outsold SUV's.

I suspect SUV sales will rise to a point, while sedan/hatch/wagon sales will fall to a point, and then everything will level out and stabilize.
I don't believe people should be saying that sedan sales are dying, and in particular, we shouldn't say that sedan sales are dead...
your stats are only to 2014 and suv share has grown a lot since.

SUV takeover

Toyota's U.S. sales chief, Bill Fay, said consumers' shift from cars to SUVs is one of the most dramatic the industry has ever seen. Three years ago, trucks and SUVs represented 50% of the U.S. market. They closed 2016 at 63% of total sales, and analysts don't see that changing anytime soon. Boomers and millennials both like the space and the higher ride that SUVs offer, and improvements in fuel economy make them competitive with cars.
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...104-story.html
Old 03-12-17, 09:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your stats are only to 2014 and suv share has grown a lot since.

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...104-story.html
I couldn't find a 2016 article with sales breakdown for SUV's and pickup trucks separately, because I believe that pickup trucks is something different, whereas SUV's basically compete with sedans/hatches/wagons.
Old 03-13-17, 08:55 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They are very much a dying breed. Whatever sales exist are mostly from Limo companies, and premium ride sharing services such as Uber Black.
Sales of big, full sized, expensive, flagships were never very high but sales of most A8, 7 series or S classes and others are not going to just Limo companies or Uber Black, maybe in NYC, but not the rest of the US. Nothing in the 100K price range sells in big numbers, the S class has been selling around or over 1000 a month just in the US since it came out though. I am not talking just about flagship sedans either but also mid and entry level which still sell in very healthy numbers and are not a dying breed compared to SUV's.
Old 03-13-17, 09:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gas prices are irrelevant to the flagship luxury car buyer so that argument won't work. you may find suv's 'dumpy' but many people of 'signifiant means' LOVE the commanding view, the space, and not having to suffer the indignity of bending down and unfolding lke a pretzel to get in and out or loading/unloading the packages from shopping. and most wealthier people with kids get suvs instead of sedans. i would MUCH rather have a loaded GL than an S class for example. i would MUCH rather have a cayenne than a panamera any day. and an lx over an ls.
Gas prices do become relevant to many people, even people with money, when you have a gas guzzler as a daily driver but most more wealthy people will deal with it. Just about all truck based SUV's still get pretty poor fuel economy compared to most sedans. I am not just talking about full sized flagships either but all luxury sedans(and non luxury as well) as people are now saying they are a dying breed when that simply is not true.

Indignity to bending down and unfolding like a pretzel to get in and out of a sedan, particularly a large one like a LS? I never found it undignifying or a chore to get in and out of my mid sized sedan or any other sedan especially a large one. Getting into a Lotus Elise or Ferrari 355, that was a chore especially for someone 6ft, did require some bending, and was something I would not want to do every day even when I was in college.

SUV's have certain advantages and disadvantages just like sedans, SUV's generally have more room and better off road capability if a buyer really needs it, most don't, compared to sedans. Sedans are much better looking, handle better, in most cases are lighter and get better fuel economy, most perform better and are quicker, most don't take as much room and are easier to park, easier to wash/polish, better accident avoidance, etc.

We have very different tastes. I would take a S class or E/CLS over a GLS any day, Panamera over a Cayanne though I don't like the Panamera either, I would much rather have a 911 over both, I would take a NSX over a MDX, and I would rather have a LS, GS, or IS over any Lexus SUV, I never cared for Lexus SUV's. My hobbies like fishing, shooting, hunting, other outdoor activities would even put me in the type who would normally get a truck or SUV over a sedan or coupe but I just want or like them for a daily driver and I have managed to do all those activities with sedans and even coupes just fine.

Last edited by UDel; 03-13-17 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I am also a sedan buyer, but the shift in popularity away from sedans and towards crossover/SUVs is not a myth...its very real.
Old 03-13-17, 12:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Sales of big, full sized, expensive, flagships were never very high but sales of most A8, 7 series or S classes and others are not going to just Limo companies or Uber Black, maybe in NYC, but not the rest of the US. Nothing in the 100K price range sells in big numbers, the S class has been selling around or over 1000 a month just in the US since it came out though. I am not talking just about flagship sedans either but also mid and entry level which still sell in very healthy numbers and are not a dying breed compared to SUV's.
Services such as Uber help keep sales of sedans healthy, but more and more private buyers opt for SUVs.
Old 03-13-17, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That logic doesn't really make sense when Uber drivers can actually charge more for their services if they're driving an SUV. Uber drivers are such a small % of buyer in the overall pool I doubt they have much of a statistical impact on sales at all, and even if they did theres no reason to assume that they are more likely to buy a sedan than an SUV. I use Uber a lot, its just as common to ride in an SUV as a sedan.

The statement that "uber drivers keep sedan sales healthy" implies that the majority of "sedan sales" are to Uber drivers, which just doesn't make any sense. The majority of any category of vehicle's sales are going to be to end users because the majority of buyers in general are end users.
Old 03-13-17, 12:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That logic doesn't really make sense when Uber drivers can actually charge more for their services if they're driving an SUV. Uber drivers are such a small % of buyer in the overall pool I doubt they have much of a statistical impact on sales at all.

The statement that "uber drivers keep sedan sales healthy" implies that the majority of "sedan sales" are to Uber drivers, which just doesn't make any sense. The majority of any category of vehicle's sales are going to be to end users because the majority of buyers in general are end users.
Not sure exactly how Uber's rates work, but I will tell you that most Uber drivers here in NYC are driving CamCordTimas. In Manhattan in particular, just about EVERY black car has T&LC plates, most likely associated with Uber. I'm not trying to imply that majority of sedan sales are to Uber drivers, but they certainly help offset lost private sales.

Furthermore, a lot of LS and S classes in the city also have T&LC plates, meaning that they belong to either limo companies, maybe used as private limos, or associated with premium Uber/Lyft services.
Old 03-13-17, 12:41 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I am also a sedan buyer, but the shift in popularity away from sedans and towards crossover/SUVs is not a myth...its very real.
Ever since my dad had his Toyota Cressida, I've always been a sedan guy. Got the chance to ride in the back of a Toyota Century (my dad is a supplier to Toyota) and that got me hooked to luxury autobarges. But you're right; in 2016 Toyota sold as many Rav4's as they did the venerable Camry to showcase this market shift. I'll always be a sedan guy, I believe it rides better and most of us don't need the "utility" that sport utility vehicles come with. That said, my wife is the complete opposite; her riding height combined with the perceived notion of safety is the main reason she will always want a SUV. With gas prices the way they are, the market can afford to be more carefree with their auto purchases.
Old 03-13-17, 12:44 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not sure exactly how Uber's rates work, but I will tell you that most Uber drivers here in NYC are driving CamCordTimas. In Manhattan in particular, just about EVERY black car has T&LC plates, most likely associated with Uber. I'm not trying to imply that majority of sedan sales are to Uber drivers, but they certainly help offset lost private sales.

Furthermore, a lot of LS and S classes in the city also have T&LC plates, meaning that they belong to either limo companies, maybe used as private limos, or associated with premium Uber/Lyft services.
Uber's rate works purely on passenger capacity. I know this as I used my 2010 LS for Uber last summer.

Any vehicle that sits 4 gets the normal "UberX" rate unless you're a luxury vehicle. So a $50k Nissan Murano will get the same fare as a $4000 2008 Nissan Versa with 150k miles.
Old 03-13-17, 03:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wandl
Uber's rate works purely on passenger capacity. I know this as I used my 2010 LS for Uber last summer.

Any vehicle that sits 4 gets the normal "UberX" rate unless you're a luxury vehicle. So a $50k Nissan Murano will get the same fare as a $4000 2008 Nissan Versa with 150k miles.
Thus it makes perfect sense that most Uber drivers opt for sedans - they drive a lot and fuel economy is important to their bottom line.
Old 03-13-17, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Thus it makes perfect sense that most Uber drivers opt for sedans - they drive a lot and fuel economy is important to their bottom line.
If they get 3 row crossovers though they can also get Uber XL fares.

Uber is a lot more casual elsewhere than NYC also. For instance here Uber's don't have to have TLC plates. Like I said, I use it a lot and I'm just as likely to get a crossover as a sedan.
Old 03-13-17, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
That said, my wife is the complete opposite; her riding height combined with the perceived notion of safety is the main reason she will always want a SUV. With gas prices the way they are, the market can afford to be more carefree with their auto purchases.
The old argument that SUVs get lots worse mileage than sedans no longer holds the kind of water that it once did....that is a way outdated image (and was largely driven by Arianna Huffington and her publication's well-known campaign against SUVs). With a few exceptions for the big, truck-based, body-on frame vehicles, most of today's SUVs are simply sedan platforms that sit up somewhat taller and have AWD. In fact, for that matter, a number of sedans also have AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 06:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Correct, SUV's are very popular and with lower gas prices have gotten even more popular over the past few years and sell about evenly or slightly above sedans especially if some awd wagons, pickups, etc are lumped in with SUV's/CUV's but sedans are not a dying breed or on their way out by any means. Big station wagons are a dying or mostly dead breed. Sedans are still very popular and there is still a very big market for them. The trend toward SUV's sales could always change too for various reasons.
Old 03-13-17, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Which is exactly what I said above

Quick Reply: Are luxury sedans a dying breed being replaced by SUVs? (new split thread)