Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 07:30 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
IF true, it's very sad if lexus lets the GS go. the GS and SC are what made lexus an enthusiast brand (and later the IS). the SC is sort of being reborn as the LC, although the LC is much more luxurious and expensive, probably even taking inflation into account.
as we all know, dealers are generally NOT interested in selling the GS because there's not enough differentiation of it in most consumers minds with the ES even though enthusiasts know they're entirely different.
the GS450h is a pretty amazing drivetrain, that was a) too expensive, b) not promoted at all, and c) harder to find than big foot.
i've read that akio toyoda never liked the GS, and with such weak effort put into it and lack of differentiation, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that it will fail. keeping the same only engine choice for 10 years is bad enough, now the 200t is out which doesn't provide any excitement to the model and doesn't even lower the price much, AND brings it down even more in prestige toward (below?) the ES.
the whole thing's a mess. the new E300 may be a 4 cylinder turbo as well, but the market loves it, and the tech and drive are top notch.

with the new LS being very long and very luxurious, a new GS couldn't certainly go upmarket and be much better differentiated from the ES. maybe lexus could offer ONLY a hybrid version, and maybe later electric version? also, the styling should be more 'wow'. all lexus did with the 4GS is put a 'controversial' front end on an otherwise very bland design, especially looking from the side.

anyway, i hope this rumor isn't true...
I dislike the turbo 4 pot as well, but it surprising to see how the power numbers are on par with the competition and power delivery is lower then a comparable lower end V6/I6. Alot of this psyche I guess, driving a 4 pot in a mid size luxury sedan. It may also deal with fully laden weight numbers may be different.
Old 03-17-17, 07:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

It would be very hard to see how I can stay with the brand without a GS. I loved my IS, but don't want to go back down in size. I am not interested in the ES, and the new LS, while gorgeous, would not work for me. Perhaps I'll just buy out my GS lease when it's done.
Old 03-17-17, 10:12 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

Thats no ash tray.
Until you pointed that out, I never picked up on that No Smoking sign in my 4GS.
It's an ashtray that has been converted into a coin or oddments tray, but intrusively positioned, where my older 3GS was without such a storage box, thus had both more longitudinal and lateral rear knee room, [though lacked vertical cabin height, foot room, and trunk space].

Old 03-17-17, 10:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I don't find it intrusive at all, but YMMV.
Old 03-17-17, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Neither do I. The issue with rear seat space is legroom behind the front seats.
Old 03-17-17, 10:33 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Because we still keep the old 3GS for my staff to drive, so we constantly compare 3GS and 4GS back to back, hence 4GS feels like a taller, but shorter and narrower cabin, when in fact 4GS is just as long and wide a cabin, but the front seat air conditioned back rests are thicker than ever, and the rear door arm rest has that new oddments tray that we find intrusive.
The 4GS' rear seat squab/base is longer, and that also contributes to the feeling of less rear legroom.

Having said that, we sat in the all new E Class sedan a few weeks ago, and you wouldn't believe it, but since the 1995-2002 E Class three generations ago, although the wheelbase is getting longer and longer [mainly to give the engine a more front midship position for a near 50/50 weight distribution], the E Class is actually getting smaller and smaller too!
Despite no spare tire at all, the new E Class' trunk is shallower than ever.
Ditto the C Class with its pinched tail design.
It's seems to be about form over function.
Old 03-17-17, 10:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Remember too that your GS has the luxury package which has the larger multi-contour front seats.

Bottom line is, if you want comfort for back seat passengers any of these cars are the wrong cars. I sat in a new 5 Series the other day, and with the front end adjusted for me there was maybe 7 inches of foot space in the footwell behind the drivers seat.
Old 03-17-17, 11:07 AM
kcstunna82
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I doubt it will be discontinued. If Lexus wants to attract more people then they will have to accommodate to the crowd that is interested in he GS line. For instance the Fsport should come with at least a turbo charged or supercharged engine. I'm sure that small upgrade would attract tons of people.
Old 03-17-17, 12:01 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,165 Likes on 860 Posts

Discontinuing the GS would be a mistake because of the appeal of the other vehicles in the current lineup...As of the current lineup, I wouldn't get an ES because I hate the way it feels so disconnected from the road and its boat-like handling. The LS is simply too big and pricey. The GS is "just right."

Changing that perception of the ES and LS would be the way the GS could be removed without disruption to overall sales of other cars. Folks that have a GS probably wouldn't consider the ES or LS - the reason why they have a GS in the first place. The ES styling, tech and cushy-drive is meant to appeal to a certain mass-market crowd. The ES is actually like the little LS that could.

If they move the ES into a sportier direction (after seeing the 2018 Camry SE, its possible), then it would certainly have that appeal similar to the GS. If they get rid of the GS, I think they would have to offer a sporty ES or equivalent LS with some careful shifts in target market, pricing and appealing incentives.
Old 03-17-17, 12:59 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 774 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
The spindle being polarizing has nothing to do with a younger buyer wanting more tech in their infotainment, or what level of tech is acceptable.

With half of IS sales being F-Sport, its safe to assume that Lexus' bet to bring in on average younger buyers is working. Of course the tech needs to be there but its definitely not the same as tech.
Agreed. If Lexus doesn't get on the Android Auto / Apple Carplay bandwagon, my next car isn't going to be a Lexus. I had a Mustang rental a few days ago and Carplay interface was so much smoother than the system in my GS and I'm someone that actually likes the remote touch (when it's not lagging like crazy)

Last edited by Allen K; 03-17-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 01:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Agreed. If Lexus doesn't get on the Android Auto / Apple Carplay bandwagon, my next car isn't going to be a Lexus. I had a Mustang rental a few days ago and Carplay interface was so much smoother than the system in my GS and I'm someone that actually likes the remote touch (when it's not lagging like crazy)
I have apple carplay in my X6, and it's absolutely redundant and clunky.
Old 03-17-17, 01:18 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 774 Likes on 542 Posts

Go use the interface in the GS and you'll be much happier with Carplay.

I thought it was fine. I started streaming music on Google Play Music, entered the destination on my phone, plugged the phone in the charge, and could control everything through the screen.
Old 03-17-17, 01:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Allen what do you like so much about CarPlay? I've only played with it a bit but I don't really get the obsession. I don't like Apple Maps, and I use Siri for my in-car texting. I think the phone interface is probably better, but I don't use my phone often in the car. I just use Pandora through Entune for music, and that has worked very well for me.
Old 03-17-17, 01:24 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

In my opinion, Lexus is trying to focus more on SUVs now, less sedans just means more money to spend on the upcoming UX and TX models. Seriously, if you think about it, who is going to miss the GS? It's not going to effect the brand sales or the image in any way. Yes, the GS was close to 5 / E class, but it was never on the same level in terms of power and sales. It was always a kid nobody liked and I blame Lexus for that. Most likely my 2013 will be my last Lexus, not really liking the new direction Lexus is taking.....
Old 03-17-17, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
In my opinion, Lexus is trying to focus more on SUVs now, less sedans just means more money to spend on the upcoming UX and TX* models. Seriously, if you think about it, who is going to miss the GS? It's not going to effect the brand sales or the image in any way. Yes, the GS was close to 5 / E class, but it was never on the same level in terms of power and sales. It was always a kid nobody liked and I blame Lexus for that. Most likely my 2013 will be my last Lexus, not really liking the new direction Lexus is taking.....
Fixed for you* RX350L and RX450hL

Quick Reply: (RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.