Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Complete noob oil question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-17, 04:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukasteam
Thank you guy's for all the replies . Turns out the owner wasn't cheap on the vehicle maintenance , he was straight out pathetic. Serviced it at Toyota dealership only twice , other oil changes were done at the tire shop that gave their customers that bought tires free oil changes and tire rotations . I can only imagine what kind of oil tire shop is using for free oil changes . No thanks ... Car reeked smoke , was dirty and full of crumbs inside , dog without a crate has been transported in it and next day I was contacted by a very nice fellow from this forum that checked the car next day after me , plugged in his Lexus scanner and it showed three codes all ABS related and really pricey to fix . Now we both knew why the owner refused to show the car if it was possibility of rain that day .ext day he called him and said that he plugged in his laptop with Lexus code scanner software and deleted the codes , so everything should be fine now . What a joke !!! He also claimed that he has never been off road , but the wheel wells were full of gravel road dirt , well , maybe he doesn't consider gravel off road . Told me there are two chips that he covered up with the pen , but I would never find them ... ok good to know .
In other words buyer be aware , hate the liar when I hear one . .

yep, once I saw an interior like that I would PASS!!!!

Good decision!
Old 04-01-17, 04:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you guy's for all the replies . Turns out the owner wasn't cheap on the vehicle maintenance , he was straight out pathetic. Serviced it at Toyota dealership only twice , other oil changes were done at the tire shop that gave their customers that bought tires free oil changes and tire rotations . I can only imagine what kind of oil tire shop is using for free oil changes . No thanks ... Car reeked smoke , was dirty and full of crumbs inside , dog without a crate has been transported in it and next day I was contacted by a very nice fellow from this forum that checked the car next day after me , plugged in his Lexus scanner and it showed three codes all ABS related and really pricey to fix . Now we both knew why the owner refused to show the car if it was possibility of rain that day .ext day he called him and said that he plugged in his laptop with Lexus code scanner software and deleted the codes , so everything should be fine now . What a joke !!! He also claimed that he has never been off road , but the wheel wells were full of gravel road dirt , well , maybe he doesn't consider gravel off road . Told me there are two chips that he covered up with the pen , but I would never find them ... ok good to know .
^^^. This is why I just buy new.
Old 04-02-17, 08:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

you think used car dealers (and new car dealers that sell used) don't do all these tricks too?

wonder how the abs got messed up.

regarding this car and issues you've found, it still might be a 'deal' at the right price.
Old 04-02-17, 12:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds like it is not for you, good to do research but everything you listed could be dealt with or used to lower the price and would not mean you did not still get a great vehicle. I don't think there are any modern oils out there that would scare me off even if they were done at a tire place every 5000 miles with a car with only 60 some thousand miles, Penzoil actually makes good oil, Mobil 1 is good oil and can be had for cheap. Crumbs and hair can be vacuumed and interiors can be made to look new with not too much money or effort, most tire wells have some gravel and dirt in them, does not mean it was taken off road or abused. Cigarette smell would be the only thing for me that would be a turn off but it can be dealt with eventually or masked if the rest of the car is really nice. I would just tell the seller to fix the ABS at the dealership or take off the offering price for you to get it fixed.

Either way you want the most pristine GX you can find and I understand why you don't want it and rejected it, the oil though is probably not a big deal as long as it is changed every 5000 miles or so.
Old 04-03-17, 07:10 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you think used car dealers (and new car dealers that sell used) don't do all these tricks too?

wonder how the abs got messed up.

regarding this car and issues you've found, it still might be a 'deal' at the right price.

thats why why when I go to buy a used car I scan the ecm's. I can see how many miles ago dtc's where last cleared. If it was recently, I want an explanation with proof of what was done. The last one I bought, dtc's had never been cleared. I knew all was good. Like someone else said on the forum. I think the condition of the interior says a ton on how well the car was maintained. Especially the drivers seat and floor. Mine at 14 years old.

Last edited by Coleroad; 04-03-17 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 08:45 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Many years ago, before Carfax, I hung out at a body shop who bought late model salvage wrecks and rebuilt them. The shop owner told me the way he chose a car to buy was to open the driver's door and look at the interior. If a private owner took care of the interior, it's highly likely they took care of the motor and rest of the car as well. Granted, used car dealers and new car dealers know how to touch up an abused car to make it look like a gem. But when buying privately, finding a car with an interior that's not been cared for is an indicator. I think you are wise to walk away from this one.
Old 04-03-17, 11:18 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Coming late to this thread but wanted to add my opinion that you follow the manufacturer's recommendation for oil type and intervals. For my 2010 RX450h it's 10K miles. Changing at 3K or 0.1K does nothing but drain the wallet. But then some people insist on "gluten-free milk" or whatever. Folks can live their lives as they wish.