Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I always enjoy reading people's takes on driving non-Lexus cars and jealous Steve seems to get to test drive so many great cars! I
Steve and I both live in the greater D.C. metropolitan area, which, because of its extremely high average income, recession-resistant economy driven by government and high-tech firms, and general availability of dealerships for virtually any vehicle sold in the American market, is one of the best places in the country for test-drives, as long as you can find relatively unclogged roads for test-driving, which can be difficult. There are many superb dealership-clusters in the area, but I especially like the large cluster of huge and modern dealerships, just south of Dulles Airport, in Chantilly, about 20 miles west of D.C. Here's a shot of it from the air. It has some nice relatively clear roads to the south, away from a lot of traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9013.../data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-17 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 06:54 AM
eternalkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-31-17, 07:42 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Re reliability, since Tata Motors bought Jaguar/Land Rover from Ford in 2008 they have spent a couple billion dollars on new and/or upgraded assembly and engine manufacturing facilities. The local dealer, who I have known for several years, said that since this work was done they have seen a dramatic improvement in reliability in both RR and Jag (as well as in fit and finish). At any rate, a way around any reliability issue is to lease.
I am in the market for a new suv and wanted the F-Sport, but it was just too small for my needs. I did like the RR Sport, but I’m strongly considering the new Discovery that will come out this summer. As to price point, even though I can afford these vehicles, with my conservative financial background, I have a hard time justifying the RR price point. Hell, I am having a hard time justifying the 20k difference between a 2017 MDX Advance and a 2017 Discovery HSE TD6.
Old 03-31-17, 08:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Not really specific to the Range Rover question here, but I've never really understood the "reliability doesn't matter if you lease" mindset. Whether I lease, finance, or pay cash, and whether the repairs are done under warranty or not, I do not want to be spending my time dealing with car issues.

I'm happy to see RR improving their reliability. Hopefully that trend continues.
Old 03-31-17, 09:02 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not really specific to the Range Rover question here, but I've never really understood the "reliability doesn't matter if you lease" mindset. Whether I lease, finance, or pay cash, and whether the repairs are done under warranty or not, I do not want to be spending my time dealing with car issues.

I'm happy to see RR improving their reliability. Hopefully that trend continues.
Couldn't agree more. My time is worth something and has to be factored in to my overall "total cost of ownership." Being inconvenienced by making trips to the dealer for repairs would become very annoying. Especially when you're already paying a premium to get into a luxury car.
Old 03-31-17, 10:37 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Why not have the dealership come pick up your car? Our local dealership does this for customers that demand it. If your spending $120k on a car they should be able to accommodate such a simple request.
Old 03-31-17, 11:00 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

True. However with a lease you are not stuck with the burden of a car whose tagline is #servicebaylife.
Old 03-31-17, 11:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Why not have the dealership come pick up your car? Our local dealership does this for customers that demand it. If your spending $120k on a car they should be able to accommodate such a simple request.
Some will, some won't. It's still an inconvenience to me to have to schedule that and have them bring a loaner car for me to use, which also means pulling two car seats out of my car, installing them in the loaner, then returning them back to my car later. Not to mention if it's a failure that leaves me stranded while I'm out and about.

Part of a luxury ownership experience, at least to me, is to not have to deal with this.

Last edited by JDR76; 03-31-17 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 11:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

if the reliability of range rover is so bad, why is their sales volume rapidly increasing each year? because people like the hassle of repairs?

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/land-rover/
Old 03-31-17, 11:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if the reliability of range rover is so bad, why is their sales volume rapidly increasing each year? because people like the hassle of repairs?

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/land-rover/
Not sure if your comment is directed at me but note I was clear in that I did not judge reliability of the Range Rover. I was simply responding to those who say it doesn't matter if reliability is bad on a leased vehicle. The LR4 is still one of my favorite vehicles.

Besides, I'm not really sure that there's a clear link between sales number and reliability. People have long bought poor quality vehicles, and similarly, we're seeing a large number of very reliable vehicles experiencing a downward trend in sales. Seems hard to prove a connection between sales and reliability.

Last edited by JDR76; 03-31-17 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 11:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yeah the reliability would be an issue if buying used, but give them a few more years I have a feeling you will see reliability improve.

Theres an independent Land Rover shop down the street from my office I drive by all the time. They do seem to have a steady stream of late model RR/LRs, etc there for service...
Old 03-31-17, 11:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah the reliability would be an issue if buying used, but give them a few more years I have a feeling you will see reliability improve.
I definitely expect that this will be the case.
Old 03-31-17, 12:21 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

Because new cars can generally make it through the first 2-3 years with minimal issues.
Old 03-31-17, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Exactly. It will likely be fine for 3 years.

I have had cars that were young and unreliable and that was indeed a PITA.
Old 03-31-17, 12:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The worst car I've had for reliability was an 06 that I bought new in late 05. It had 16 warranty repairs in less than 2 years. Didn't cost me a penny, but what a pain that was.

Quick Reply: Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE