Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 05:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice, so it's doable then, I still need to check out the local dealership though, there is only one Land Rover dealer in town, and I know they don't usually have RR in stoc, or at least demand always more than their supply so don't know how they would do on pricing. When I checked last week at bmw and MB dealer, 20k off msrp on 7 and S is easy.
Oh yeah, no way you'll get that deal on a RR, literally the best I could do for my friend was $2k off a $105,000 RR.

The residuals are in the 60s though, hence the similar lease.
Old 09-07-17, 06:52 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Oh yeah, no way you'll get that deal on a RR, literally the best I could do for my friend was $2k off a $105,000 RR.

The residuals are in the 60s though, hence the similar lease.
Agreed, its the same way in Annapolis but for the new Discovery I was looking at I could probably get a couple grand off for the ones sitting on their lot since they had a good amount of them. He told me he could take some money off the ones on the lot vs. me ordering one because I told him, why would I ever take one of the cars on the lot and pay MSRP for a car that isn't optioned exactly the way I wanted. If I am paying MSRP, I am going to order it exactly how I want it and he agreed.
Old 09-07-17, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just know the ordering process is horrible with Land Rover lol
Old 09-07-17, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Just know the ordering process is horrible with Land Rover lol

Couldn't be worse than what I went through LOL. Of course, my rather unusual circumstance was not typical of Buick.
Old 09-07-17, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But living with a SUV that is 5000 lbs as a daily driver will take its toll on you. Especially coming from a sedan that has an easy going attitude.
my jeep is 4600lbs i think, so close enough, and it certainly doesn't take a toll lol. I think you live in toronto area which has foul traffic and tight parking compared to where i live so maybe that's the difference.
Old 09-07-17, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

i'd love to own a range rover, but i continue to be intrigued by the feasibility of owning a tesla model x. i still don't get what people do when they drive/travel overnight as most hotels won't have a place to plugin i don't think and if staying with friends or relatives, i guess one brings a great big extension cord.
Old 09-07-17, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd love to own a range rover, but i continue to be intrigued by the feasibility of owning a tesla model x. i still don't get what people do when they drive/travel overnight as most hotels won't have a place to plugin i don't think and if staying with friends or relatives, i guess one brings a great big extension cord.
The Model X has had a fair amount of trouble with the upward-opening, gull-wing doors. Seems like no manufacturer has ever really perfected that basic concept in a vehicle.
Old 09-07-17, 09:58 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

She also had some sort of issue with the diesel exhaust fluid or something like that, I think maybe the vehicle was not delivered with a full tank of that?

Neat vehicle though...
DEF has to be refilled periodically lol
Old 09-07-17, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
DEF has to be refilled periodically lol
The car was like 3 weeks old lol
Old 09-07-17, 10:44 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Even with warranty, if one likes to have his/her car sits at the dealer service bay frequently, LOL! Some times it takes long waiting for the parts they need to service the vehicle. If one wants the Land Rover whatever so bad, lease it or buy new and drive it for 4 years and dump it or trade it in for new one.
Old 09-07-17, 11:11 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Even with warranty, if one likes to have his/her car sits at the dealer service bay frequently, LOL! Some times it takes long waiting for the parts they need to service the vehicle. If one wants the Land Rover whatever so bad, lease it or buy new and drive it for 4 years and dump it or trade it in for new one.
You mean lease only.

The thing with these is that, yes they arent very reliable long term, but lets be real here, LR could give 2 Fs about that. They are still abel to sell at sticker, above, or close to it unlike any other mfg, that too for an import from UK, and people are buying enough for them to keep the lights on, and production for future units on.

Stupidest vehicle or Smartest business ever!
Old 12-06-17, 02:33 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to Land Rover dealership last Saturday, wanted to look at Couple different models, but quickly both me and my wife had our eyes on a 17’ Range Rover HSE. I think it’s perfect size for my wife, and kids love it too. It’s lightly optioned at 105k, but got every safety features I want for my wife, perfect color combo as well (white on black).
Took it for a test drive, I don’t feel it’s under powered even it only had 380 hp, and the car is quiet and smooth! I forgot to take the Sedona so they can’t calculate the trade in, but I asked the sales to run some numbers without considering the trade. But here is what I was surprised: no discount even it’s a 17’ model, so selling at MSRP! With my excellent credit, they offer me 3500 down, 36/10000 at $1690! The number was wayyyy off of what I expecting so I just reply nicely that I would go home think it over, and left the dealership shaking my head. I understand Land Rover doesn’t have nice lease deals like MB/BMW, but for a 105k car I would like to have the payment in 1300 without any down payment, but for what they offers I don’t even want to negotiate cuz I don’t think they will come close to what I want :/
So my seatch of my wife’s next car continues...
Old 12-06-17, 05:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Went to Land Rover dealership last Saturday, wanted to look at Couple different models, but quickly both me and my wife had our eyes on a 17’ Range Rover HSE. I think it’s perfect size for my wife, and kids love it too. It’s lightly optioned at 105k, but got every safety features I want for my wife, perfect color combo as well (white on black).
Took it for a test drive, I don’t feel it’s under powered even it only had 380 hp, and the car is quiet and smooth! I forgot to take the Sedona so they can’t calculate the trade in, but I asked the sales to run some numbers without considering the trade. But here is what I was surprised: no discount even it’s a 17’ model, so selling at MSRP! With my excellent credit, they offer me 3500 down, 36/10000 at $1690! The number was wayyyy off of what I expecting so I just reply nicely that I would go home think it over, and left the dealership shaking my head. I understand Land Rover doesn’t have nice lease deals like MB/BMW, but for a 105k car I would like to have the payment in 1300 without any down payment, but for what they offers I don’t even want to negotiate cuz I don’t think they will come close to what I want :/
You might be surprised to hear this, but they just might be able to sell it at list....even a '17. Here in the D.C. area, Range Rovers are considered a status symbol, and dealerships have trouble keeping them in stock. A lot of people here have money...and are willing to spend it. Of course, that might not represent your area....Las Vegas itself, of course, is quite wealthy, but that might not affect your neighborhood.

Just what, essentially are you and your wife looking for in her next vehicle? It's obviously an enormous jump from a Sedona to a Range Rover, and RR's, of course, are also dedicated off-roaders....they aren't just at home on hard pavement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-06-17 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-06-17, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My experience was similar.

My guess is you should be able to get it into the $1,300 range with some shopping, negotiation with 0 down. MFs are terrible, but the residuals are excellent. I was quoted like $1,380 or something on a very similar car.