Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

atlanta major intersection bridge collapses

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 09:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

^^^ yup (re 13 months)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35...i_River_bridge

That was across water though which presumably made it much tougher.
Old 04-02-17, 10:17 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

If they can pre-build any portion of the bridge (the actual deck structure), that can then be trucked onto the site (after the old deck is removed) and raised into position and finished quickly.
Old 04-02-17, 10:30 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, it was a little unclear. According to the article, the Governor described it as items on a vehicle.

Stuck in gridlock and couldn't get to the office? Or did your office just close down?

They may have to re-route some school busses, which means a longer drive, and kids having to get up earlier in the morning to be ready at the bus stop. Then, of course, kids getting back home later in the afternoon from the longer drive.
When it started on Thursday, many people believed that it was a vehicle fire because it was a near concrete company site.

My office closed down for the day to alleviate some of the traffic on the roads.

They have semi reopened 85 northbound now. You can get off at the Buford Connector aka the old 85 and get off and get back on 85 to continue your journey on 85.

Most people are taking 285 though. On Friday, when I drove over 285, traffic was much heavier than normal. Same when I went out to meet some co workers on Friday night.
Old 04-02-17, 02:59 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I35 took 13 months to rebuild.
I stand corrected, thank you.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
This won't be an easy rebuild since the structure is sandwiched between two other elevated structures.
But the I-80 to I-580 connector was the same, and done in less than a month.
Old 04-02-17, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ yup (re 13 months)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35...i_River_bridge

That was across water though which presumably made it much tougher.
That's what I was saying earlier about the military's ability to quickly erect pontoon-bridges and other temporary structures to allow mililtary vehicles to quickly cross rivers and other barriers when no other crossings are present. Just how well that would work, though, in downtown Atlanta, on a multi-level Interstate overpass, as a temporary structure while a permanant one is rebuilt is open to question. I'm not saying it's the answer (it probably isn't)...but it at least might be with looking into.
Old 04-02-17, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ that might work for tank crossings, but not camrys
Old 04-03-17, 05:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

^^^ that might work for tank crossings, but not camrys
​​​​​​​Tanks can handle a pontoon bridge better than Camry's.
Old 04-03-17, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Tanks can handle a pontoon bridge better than Camry's.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a pontoon bridge. The military Construction Battalions have a number of different devices and designs they can use. The question is, though, would any of them work (at least temporarily) in that exact setting.....downtown urban area, multi-level per passes? That's probably an answer that is beyond the pay grade of most of us LOL.

It will also be interesting to see who ends up paying for the repairs...and how much. Yes, they arrested three people, but those three, if convicted, are not likely to have enough in their personal estates to cover it (and they only make 50 cents an hour in jail LOL). Most likely, it will be the taxpayers and/or insurance companies.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-17 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Tanks can handle a pontoon bridge better than Camry's.
that was my point - tanks can handle just about anything better than a camry although don't expect a smooth quiet ride.
​​​​​​​
Old 04-03-17, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It will also be interesting to see who ends up paying for the repairs...and how much. Yes, they arrested three people, but those three, if convicted, are not likely to have enough in their personal estates to cover it (and they only make 50 cents an hour in jail LOL). Most likely, it will be the taxpayers and/or insurance companies.
come on of course it won't be paid for by the person or people that did this. the cost will be tens of millions. feds have already sent $10M to start. i doubt the state insures roads against destruction. so yes, it will ultimately be taxpayers. but in the grand scheme of things and because that artery is essential for commerce and commuting, it's a tiny amount.
Old 04-03-17, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

that was my point - tanks can handle just about anything better than a camry although don't expect a smooth quiet ride.
Even Camrys, for that matter, don't have as smooth or refined a ride as they once did. Lowering tire profiles and stiffening underpinnings (usually) has consequences. The most comfortable ones, IMO, were probably the superb 3Gen versions.
Old 04-03-17, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

come on of course it won't be paid for by the person or people that did this.
Oh, I agree (Good Golly, give me credit for SOME sense LOL)...but I'm still a firm believer in personal responsibility, where and when applicable. Of course, their estates won't cut it.

I doubt the state insures roads against destruction.
Even if it does, those policies don't criminal acts by humans.....mostly natural disasters like earthquakes, landslides, tornadoes, etc.....
Old 04-03-17, 12:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I agree (Good Golly, give me credit for SOME sense LOL)...
you said the perpetrators "are not likely to have enough in their personal estates to cover it" - i don't get why you feel the need to state this (blindingly obvious) at all or equivocate with 'most likely' as obviously there is ZERO.ZERO chance they will have (or be fined) the tens of millions for the road repairs.

Of course, their estates won't cut it.
exactly, of course, not 'most likely'.

anyway, hope atlanta gets it fixed quickly... some quarter of a million commuters a day are having a miserable time of it.
Old 04-03-17, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

you said the perpetrators "are not likely to have enough in their personal estates to cover it" - i don't get why you feel the need to state this (blindingly obvious) at all or equivocate with 'most likely' as obviously there is ZERO.ZERO chance they will have (or be fined) the tens of millions for the road repairs.
Close to zero.....but you're right, not worth quibbling about.

anyway, hope atlanta gets it fixed quickly... some quarter of a million commuters a day are having a miserable time of it.
Yeah...my pastor just got re-assigned to a new parish in Atlanta.....not very far from the overpass. He'll be leaving in two weeks.
Old 04-03-17, 02:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

​​​​​​​
I was speaking in jest.

Quick Reply: atlanta major intersection bridge collapses