Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

atlanta major intersection bridge collapses

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 12:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts
Default atlanta major intersection bridge collapses

i'm sure glad i don't live in atlanta any longer... but very glad no one was hurt.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/traffic-...se-in-atlanta/

is this causing anyone on here grief?
Old 03-31-17, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Agreed.....glad no one was hurt. But it's probably going to be a traffic nightmare for months. Looks like it started with a vehicle fire and spread to plastic bridge-wiring. There's a couple of old bridges here in this area, across the Potomac, that are getting cause for concern...one of them dates back to the 1930s.

I know you're a mod, but doesn't an article like this belong more in Clubhouse than Car Chat?
Old 03-31-17, 11:00 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't a vehicle fire. Some intentional set the pvc pipes and other items on fire.

I had a day off yesterday due to the fire.

It should be interesting in the next couple weeks once schools are back in session.
Old 04-01-17, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corey140
It wasn't a vehicle fire. Some intentional set the pvc pipes and other items on fire.
Originally Posted by article
Deal, the governor, told reporters some PVC plastic materials in a vehicle may have caught fire.
Yeah, it was a little unclear. According to the article, the Governor described it as items on a vehicle.

If they think it was intentional (arson) I sure wouldn't want to be in the suspect's shoes, if he or she gets caught. That person (or persons) are going be in a world of s***. It's going to take months (and probably millions of tax or insurance dollars) to repair that damage and re-certify it for traffic again. The City of Atlanta is not going to take that lightly.

I had a day off yesterday due to the fire.
Stuck in gridlock and couldn't get to the office? Or did your office just close down?

It should be interesting in the next couple weeks once schools are back in session.
They may have to re-route some school busses, which means a longer drive, and kids having to get up earlier in the morning to be ready at the bus stop. Then, of course, kids getting back home later in the afternoon from the longer drive.
Old 04-01-17, 08:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

When we had our Skagit River bridge collapse they were pretty quick in getting a temporary replacement span in place. I suspect they'll be able to do the same here.

As for Atlanta, they've already arrested three people.
Old 04-01-17, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
When we had our Skagit River bridge collapse they were pretty quick in getting a temporary replacement span in place. I suspect they'll be able to do the same here.
Yeah, I remember that collapse.

The military, in particular, is good at erecting quick temporary bridges for tanks, trucks, and other vehicles to use on the battlefield. But how well that would work for Interstate highway conditions, and hundreds of thousands of vehicles a day, is questionable (an engineer would be more qualified to answer that then me). Also, the Skagit span was crossing a river...in this case, it's a traffic-overpass, which is different criteria.

As for Atlanta, they've already arrested three people.
Great news. Hope they got the right people. If so, they will probably deserve what they get.
Old 04-01-17, 12:19 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still not as bad a collapse as the Falcons 28-3 lead.
Old 04-01-17, 02:00 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

So long as the structural columns aren't severely damaged, rebuilding the highway can be done very quickly (when the government and contractors actually put their minds to something) - so hopefully the same will be the case here. The Bay Bridge was repaired in a month after the '89 earthquake and similar for the Santa Monica Highway after the '94 earthquake, and IIRC a similar highway collapse due to fire in Oakland at the I-580 to I-80 connector was repaired in less than a month. EDIT: Sorry, was wrong about this last part. Even in the case of complete rebuilds, the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis was reconstructed in less than 2 months after it collapsed.

Last edited by gengar; 04-02-17 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-01-17, 03:09 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I love how the governor declared a "state of emergency" lol. Everything is a state of emergency these days.

Last edited by RXSF; 04-01-17 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-02-17, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
awesome post lol
Old 04-02-17, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The company who originally built it is already on the job and fed transportation sec Chao sent $10m to help get it done.
Old 04-02-17, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I know you're a mod, but doesn't an article like this belong more in Clubhouse than Car Chat?
as you often write, thank you for your input. this is about cars, traffic, roads, so it belongs in Car Chat.
Old 04-02-17, 08:02 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
That made me chuckle...

I have a few friends in the ATL (as the kids say..) and it is a nightmare trying to go north from downtown. It's going to be a lifestyle change for anyone who commutes into town over the next few months. I lived on the south side in McDonough years ago, and even that area has grown exponentially... So glad I don't live there any more.
Old 04-02-17, 08:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Going to be a win for MARTA (train/subway) though.
Old 04-02-17, 08:52 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Even in the case of complete rebuilds, the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis was reconstructed in less than 2 months after it collapsed.
I35 took 13 months to rebuild.

This won't be an easy rebuild since the structure is sandwiched between two other elevated structures. They are now reporting the SB side is damaged also.

The state will have rethink what they store under these viaducts. Apparently it was PVC pipe being stored underneath is what caught fire after the crack addict lit a chair on fire.

Quick Reply: atlanta major intersection bridge collapses