Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the RX the Aztek of this century?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 12:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The tiny wheels, coupled with the blending black tires and dark wheel well space is what makes the RX pic look bad. Most models sold look much better. As far as front overhang, that only shows up in side profile photos. In real life, the cut-off for the front side metal is much shorter and more distinct, and does not blend in with the nose's tip, as it does in a photo. Where the SUV becomes ungainly is the overstyled hearse C-pillar.

I'd say the newest Honda Civic hatchback is probably today's Aztek, properly replacing the equally ill Honda Crossturd of a few years ago...
Attached Thumbnails Is the RX the Aztek of this century?-civic.jpg  
Old 04-06-17, 04:40 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

It can't topple the Aztek but the RX and NX are really awful looking.
Old 04-06-17, 05:45 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd say the newest Honda Civic hatchback is probably today's Aztek, properly replacing the equally ill Honda Crossturd of a few years ago...
Idk I like the new Civic in all forms.

Ya the Crossdresser was super ugly.
Old 04-06-17, 05:47 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Personally I think the "predator"/spindle grill face looks great on the Lexus sedans, but man its horrid on the SUV's.
I've been saying the same thing for a while. All the sedans look great, but the concept doesn't translate well at all into the SUVs. They've got to figure out a way to tone it down and integrate it more smoothly into those taller vehicles.
Old 04-06-17, 06:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

In Fsport trim with mesh wheels and black color its not bad at all.

But in base trim in a light color with small wheels - its hideous.
Old 04-06-17, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
In Fsport trim with mesh wheels and black color its not bad at all.
That's because the black body-color helps hide or minimize the effect of the black F-sport spindle grille.
Old 04-06-17, 07:41 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
It can't topple the Aztek but the RX and NX are really awful looking.
i think the nx is a much more handsomely-styled vehicle than the rx -- the nx's design isn't as polarizing as the latter. the rx is garishly hideous.
Old 04-06-17, 11:27 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 656 Likes on 410 Posts

My wife really loves her RX. It's in a great color (nebula), has bigger wheels than the base car in the OP, has a very nice brown interior and it's what she wanted after we sold her 2012 MDX. The picture in the OP doesn't really show the vehicle in its best light.

The RX comprised roughly one in three Lexus vehicles sold in March, and Lexus sold more than 2 of them for every MDX sold and for every X5 sold last month.

The styling may not be everyone's cup of tea but the vehicle does seem to be selling better than most of its key competitors.
Old 04-06-17, 12:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

In the best year the Aztek ever had, it sold less than 28,000 copies. In 2016 Lexus sold over 109,000 copies of the RX. No, the RX is not the latest Aztek.
Old 04-06-17, 12:23 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 656 Likes on 410 Posts

The pic in the OP is also a little misleading in that the RX is parked at an angle and isn't shot from a straight on view, thus making the shape/outline appear a little more compressed than it really is. The photo in the OP makes the RX look shorter than it is, as if it had been photoshopped to look a little shorter. The pic of the F-Pace, on the other hand, doesn't seem to suffer from the same visual sleight of hand.

Last edited by swajames; 04-06-17 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 02:29 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swajames
The pic in the OP is also a little misleading in that the RX is parked at an angle and isn't shot from a straight on view, thus making the shape/outline appear a little more compressed than it really is. The photo in the OP makes the RX look shorter than it is, as if it had been photoshopped to look a little shorter. The pic of the F-Pace, on the other hand, doesn't seem to suffer from the same visual sleight of hand.
Regardless I've seen some base models roaming around and they are even uglier in real life than the photo OP showed. One in beige could've made me puke.

Something is very wrong when a car needs to be loaded up to the brim to look halfway respectable. A well-styled car will look decent even in base form. In any trim, the RX is too unconventional and its sharp creases and curves won't age well. I feel the same about some styling aspects of recent Bimmers like the hockey sticks and headlights being connected to the kidneys. They are too angular and look forced instead of flowing nicely with the rest of the design. At least those are just minor squabbles in overall handsome designs which will age very well.

The nicest part of the RX is the rear, besides that it's just too angular to be considered a good design.

Last edited by BrownPride; 04-06-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 04:47 PM
smualum11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be the one to say it.

I'll be happy as a clam in my "aged" 4RX in a few years while it's still chuggin' along on the road. I'll be sure to wave to the F-Pace owner waiting on a tow.

I think mine looks OK overall. I purchased a dark color on purpose (Nightfall Mica) to detract attention from the sharp creases. They are much less noticeable in darker colors and the hue of the Nightfall Mica really helps to bring the attention to other portions of the car while in direct sunlight. I also think the darker color compliments the front grille & the larger/darker wheels. Mine is an F-Sport for what it's worth.

The #1 selling factor for me for the 4RX was first, the reliability and secondly, the interior. If only Lexus could improve the infotainment system. But the interior was a significant improvement over my 3RX and rivaled anything else I saw in my budget.
Old 04-06-17, 08:03 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The interior in the RX is fantastic. The exterior is love it or hate it. But inside the car is where we spend most of our time, so let someone else look at the outside.
Old 04-06-17, 08:08 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
In the best year the Aztek ever had, it sold less than 28,000 copies. In 2016 Lexus sold over 109,000 copies of the RX. No, the RX is not the latest Aztek.
nissan rogue sells 3x more than rx. using your logic, the nissan rogue is 3x better than the rx.
Old 04-06-17, 08:10 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
nissan rogue sells 3x more than rx. using your logic, the nissan rogue is 3x better than the rx.
Yes, but the Rogue is also 3x cheaper, as was the Aztek, so your statement doesn't have any merit.

Quick Reply: Is the RX the Aztek of this century?