Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have they (Acura) learned nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 09:15 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Never said its like an Accord or Civic, but lacks personality or the presence like those cars. Would anyone really take more than 1 glance at those cars? Same with the NSX. It's one of those hey-it's-an-NSX and I just kept walking.
LOL what?

Old 04-14-17, 11:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I can't warm up to that beak, it looks like it belongs on the dopey comedy relief Transformer.
Old 04-19-17, 12:55 PM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i work at an acura dealer and the TLX (at least where i'm at) just isnt a big seller.... its looked exactly the same for 3 model years now and doesnt really have much to offer. Just earlier this year we still had 3 2015's that sales couldnt manage to.. sell. they had to turn them in to loaner cars lol

all the acuras will end up with that grille. the 2017 mdx was the first to have it, so the rest will undoubtedly follow. im not looking forward to an ILX redesign because I just know its going to end up looking like the new civics
Old 04-20-17, 12:46 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh man, it's sad...
Old 04-20-17, 05:31 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I sat in the new TLX Aspec at the NY auto show - the interior quality and design is horrendous.

You need to be high on drugs to get TLX over a Q50 or Genesis G80.
Old 04-20-17, 08:14 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I sat in the new TLX Aspec at the NY auto show - the interior quality and design is horrendous.

Have you sat in the MDX and RDX? I thought those were horrendous too.
Old 04-20-17, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I wouldn't say "horrendous", but they aren't up to the standards of their competitors no.
Old 04-20-17, 01:57 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I always thought Acura interiors looked like the top trim line interior you'd find in an Accord, Pilot, etc but with more fake shiny wood or weird plastic that's supposed to look like metal.
Old 04-20-17, 02:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

The TLX has vastly lower leases compared to the cars (Infiniti, Hyundai) listed above. It sells on value, name, and reputation- which are solid things for many people. And while I'm not a fan of the center stack, I wouldn't call it horrendous. It's just a bit dated and lacks some luxury.
Acura still has a long way to go with it's car line-up. Getting rid of the heavy shield was a good start. Combining the TL and TSX into one was not.
Old 04-20-17, 02:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Not even close to the same class or $$ are they??
Old 04-20-17, 02:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Not even close to the same class or $$ are they??
Not sure - the V6 awd Aspec is high 40s to low 50s.
Very much inline with Q50 and G80.

I know Q50 leases are dirt cheap.
I see 10 Q50s for every 1 TLX.
Old 04-20-17, 06:11 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,247 Likes on 868 Posts

The new NSX doesn't look bad. I agree that the "beak" has long overstayed its welcome in the lineup but it otherwise looks good. Better than all the other Acuras... it just doesn't look nearly as good as the original NSX. It's performance specs and reviews I like, although I hope they release the non-hybrid ("NSX-R"?) variant which is mid-engine rear-drive only instead of AWD.

The rest of the Acura lineup... no comparison to the 1991-1995 Legend sedan and coupe, late 90's 3.5 TL, 90's Integra and the styling of the Vigor. And though it is a Honda... the last generation Prelude coupe also counts because it looks so good. Their only SUV's that I liked visually were rebadged Isuzus anyway so... nothing to say much about there.

Their styling was much better when it was much more conservative from an 80's and 90's perspective. They went from that era straight downward.

What I do like is that they took the great FWD active diff technology from the Prelude Type SH and grew it into a nice AWD system that has been applied to a few models, including (in heavily augmented form) the new NSX. But that's a drivetrain technology. The styling of their newer vehicles is a totally different matter.

Dropping all manual transmissions from their non-NSX performance Acuras... yeah, I get the industry trend and I do like properly made dual clutch gearboxes... but other than with a supercar like an NSX I don't care. I'll buy a manual car over a CVT or auto-only car.

The most annoying industry-wise trend right now is this over-arching mandate that ALL cars in any manufacturer's lineup must have nearly the same styling and not just a commonly shaped small plastic grill insert with an emblem but an entire front bumper that resembles every other car in the lineup to such a degree that you feel like the car's own personality can't be allowed to be its own thing without constantly harkening back to the brand itself.

The emblem and some subtle integrated design touches are reminders that it's a car is part of only one manufacturer's lineup. It doesn't need to be the whole damn front grill. Ford does this a lot and so does Acura and Lexus. Although I think Ford's approach blends better across their model range. I like the front end of the Focus and Fiesta lineups from the base models through the ST's and RS. Acura doesn't do it so well with their overdone current bumper designs which will look dated faster than those on other marques.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-20-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 08:00 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by logix7
i work at an acura dealer and the TLX (at least where i'm at) just isnt a big seller.... its looked exactly the same for 3 model years now and doesnt really have much to offer. Just earlier this year we still had 3 2015's that sales couldnt manage to.. sell. they had to turn them in to loaner cars lol

all the acuras will end up with that grille. the 2017 mdx was the first to have it, so the rest will undoubtedly follow. im not looking forward to an ILX redesign because I just know its going to end up looking like the new civics
Yes, I checked out the Acura dealership in Dallas before I went for my Audi A4. They brought up a riced-up TLX for me to drive and I asked them if I could just drive a standard one to get an idea of how they drove. They didn't have one. All it took was the push-button gear changes and the fake wood to make me realize I needed to move on. The car itself actually drove pretty smoothly, but the A4 blew it away in driving dynamics and interior quality.