Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered my new car (2018 Buick Lacrosse)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Totally inaccurate. I can't even remember the last time I drove a car that didn't have 4 way auto up and down windows, and I drive a lot of cars. This is simply cost cutting from GM.

The auto windows have pinch protection.
Yes, but as I understand it, but what you are referring to is not really auto-up in the sense of the way BrownPride was using the term. If the sensors detect something in the way, the window simply doesn't go up, period, even if you pull the switch. Like I said, that's a safety feature.

I do agree with you, though, that having no sensors at all is cheaper than having sensors (maybe you could call it cost-cutting?). But, as I see it, that's also one less item to fail....and if it fails, it could cause injury.
Old 06-01-17, 05:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, but as I understand it, but what you are referring to is not really auto-up in the sense of the way BrownPride was using the term. If the sensors detect something in the way, the window simply doesn't go up, period, even if you pull the switch. Like I said, that's a safety feature..
No, he and I are talking about the same thing.
Old 06-01-17, 06:33 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Totally inaccurate. I can't even remember the last time I drove a car that didn't have 4 way auto up and down windows, and I drive a lot of cars. This is simply cost cutting from GM.

Let me introduce you to my lowly Mazda CX-5. ;-)

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...+touch+windows

Last edited by dseag2; 06-01-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Let me introduce you to my lowly Mazda CX-5. ;-)

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...+touch+windows
This must be the part of that thread you were referring to:

I also wish at least both front windows were auto up/down and just not the driver,
Unfortunately that is the decision of Mazda USA.

We get auto up/down on all windows here (Australia)

Cost-cutting may (?) also be a factor, but, in general, that's got liability written all over it. The U.S. is a litigious society, with a number of lawsuits filed over auto designs. Mazda USA simply decided to play it safe, and not risk power-window injuries.
Old 06-01-17, 07:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
A couple other gripes though: windows were automatic going down but not up (seriously GM?), and the lift gate opened and closed with a huge clunk and was slow. Overall, I thought it was a decent enough product. But again, there are some issues with pricing and packaging holding it back.
This is rediculous. what is the big deal? The driver's window is power up/down auto. The others are just power down.
Old 06-01-17, 07:07 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is rediculous. what is the big deal? The driver's window is power up/down auto. The others are just power down.
For once, I agree with you! Although not the spelling of "rediculous". ;-)
Old 06-01-17, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. I don't see any big deal, either. I was just using arguments to support my position. My view is that we've become overly-spoiled if we can't even hold a switch for 3 or 4 seconds without complaining. In the American market, there's also probably a litigation factor on the part of at least some automakers.
Old 06-01-17, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not a liability issue, it's cost cutting to meet pricing goals in the US.

It's not the end of the world but it's annoying nonetheless in a vehicle at that price point. Being accustomed to that every time I went to put a window up I would automatically assume one click up would raise all the windows. Features like this are the sorts of things we expect in a premium vehicle IMHO.
Old 06-01-17, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

It's not a liability issue, it's cost cutting to meet pricing goals in the US.

It's not the end of the world but it's annoying nonetheless in a vehicle at that price point. Being accustomed to that every time I went to put a window up I would automatically assume one click up would raise all the windows. Features like this are the sorts of things we expect in a premium vehicle IMHO.
I didn't pay what you did for your Sedona!
Old 06-01-17, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I didn't pay what you did for your Sedona!
No lol, and for the Mazda it's not really an issue, but for a Buick that is trying to be a premium car it is IMHO.
Old 06-01-17, 11:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wahahaaha, I have to hold the window button an extra 1.5 seconds. Beats reaching across the car to roll the window up with the crank like in ye olden days. Honestly the biggest thing with power windows in my book is that they don't break after you own the car a few years. The one in my 1992 SC300 sure enough broke, after 23 years and 80k miles worth of service, the cheap plastic clip finally broke on the driver's side window. And this is after owning 6 different GM vehicles that never had a power window go bad.
Old 06-02-17, 05:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

This. The last car I remember not having pinch protection was the Subaru SVX, which was discontinued more than two decades ago. It could crush a soda can between the lower and upper half of it's incredibly weird windows. Lack of auto-up is cost cutting, pure and simple.
Old 06-02-17, 05:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

they probably cheaped out on the buick to make people want a cadillac more?
Old 06-02-17, 06:02 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 684 Likes on 507 Posts

This conversation has gone way off topic, so I'll just add to it my frustration with Lexus not allowing an auto-close sunroof in the ES. Was this also a cost-cutting move?

I'll just throw this out there so I'm not totally off topic
Old 06-02-17, 06:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
This conversation has gone way off topic, so I'll just add to it my frustration with Lexus not allowing an auto-close sunroof in the ES. Was this also a cost-cutting move?

I'll just throw this out there so I'm not totally off topic
Absolutely. My LS and my GS both have/had auto close sunroofs, only reason for them not to do it on the ES is cost cutting.

As to it being a "waah" thing. It's a luxury car, every feature can be seen as "frivolous".

Quick Reply: Ordered my new car (2018 Buick Lacrosse)