Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered my new car (2018 Buick Lacrosse)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
At least your fluids and rubber will be fresh.
I'd hate to have 4 month old rubber and fluids and also have to go to Hawaii or something to accomplish having spent the same amount of money
Old 05-29-17, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

There is no guarantee that you will get a fresh build anyway for 2018. The Buick Lacrosse is not selling well, there is too much inventory and pricing reflects that with the huge discount.

There is a very strong possibility that the 2018 are already build but are just waiting to be released somewhere. Worst case scenario is that the 2018 are already 1-2 months old and get the to the lots in 1-2 months.

The current 2017 incentive is simply too good to be true to pass it up.
Old 05-29-17, 06:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The one thing I noticed was that the price of the order is not known.....how does that work? Is this a bonafide order between the customer and GM, or is it the 'Infiniti way," meaning an Infiniti dealer has a monthly allocation, and they give one to you, so it's between you and the dealer. Infiniti knows nothing about the person who is ordering the car? Kinda like my buddy put a $1000 deposit on a M2, sight unseen, and it was a wait list. When he found out they wanted $5k over list, he simply got his deposit back.

The only time I ordered a car was the E92 335, and it was a firm order, price agreed upon, and in BMWNA's system, I showed as the person who ordered the vehicle and could have it delivered to the SC perf. center, or any dealer I chose. They told me if I decided to walk away, I could, because there were no cars to sell at the time and there would be no problem selling the car configured the way I did (exactly as the test drive car).

My dad bought a Buick Envision recently and he took the one that had the big discount--I asked the salesperson what it was, and he stated GM gave them mkt. dollars to move any car they chose, but it was vehicle specific. As I recall it was a $38k list and he got it for $31k--on cars.com some exactly the same showed at $27k, but it had all that captive financing etc. BS.....car had 17 miles when he test drove it, so obviously it had been test driven 1-2x most likely....

I can't find the term they used, and I remember googling and coming up with nothing. But see how this car has $4,700 off, and a #1 by it, with no description? My dad got a car listing at $38,xxx and it was like $7k off total, then he had them remove conveyance and all the other junk car dealers add back....

http://www.ingersollautoofdanbury.co...-CT/2956254883

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-29-17 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'd hate to have 4 month old rubber and fluids and also have to go to Hawaii or something to accomplish having spent the same amount of money
Couldn't care less about that kind of travel. (I did enough traveling decades ago...also grew up in an Army family where they sent my us to several different continents). I have about as much desire to go to Hawaii as you do for a new Sienna LOL.
Old 05-29-17, 08:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Preferred is below Premium. It goes Base --> Preferred --> Essence --> Premium

The Preferred is basically the base model with a power tilt/telescopic steering wheel.

The point is, this order is clearly costing you significantly over finding one on the lot Mike. Even if it has equipment you don't want, you're paying more to get a car with less equipment which doesn't make any sense IMHO. Rubber parts deteriorating? If Rubber parts deteriorate in a few months on the lot enough to have an impact how could the car be expected to endure ownership? Sitting on the lot or sitting in your parking space whats the difference?
Buick dealers around me are offering some very good discounts on in stock LaCrosse's. It's a personal decision, but I'd take a nice discount on a higher trim level with additional equipment (even if I might not use some of them much) every time.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. If a big discount such as 16% off MSRP plus a cash discount are available, I believe it is a mistake not to move on it.

A loaded LaCrosse can be had with a $7356 discount.

Now if I were ordering and there were no deals, it would feel more special if it were right from the factory and I had to wait.
They sure do:

http://www.fitzgeraldbuick.com/Vehic...-MD/2995978873

Highlights my issue with Fitzgerald pricing too lol. MSRP is $37,385, "FitzWay" no haggle pricing is $33,977. Savings of $3,388 or 9%. Well, the Buick Memorial Day pricing is 16% off.

In this case buying from this no haggle dealer would either require you to haggle, or to leave thousands on the table.

For what you're paying for that special order, looks like you could buy a fully loaded 2017. Thats a dear price to pay.
I know that you understand, but bitkahuna asked how the models work which is why I posted.

You yourself said you didn't want the new transmission, you specifically did not want it. you ordered a 2017 and the only reason you have a 2018 coming is because they had closed the order banks for 2017s.

That car is exactly what you wanted. You're spending around $5,000 more than you have to by waiting for your order.
Your logic doesn't make sense. You won't get 16% off of a 2018 special order, they're still going to have 2017s to move.

If you're content paying more to get a 2018 that's fine, but own that, don't try and pretend you're not going to pay significantly more, because you are.
A bird in the hand.......Given the choice of something like $5k right now or maybe some type of discount in the future it might be a better choice (for some) to take the sure thing.
So true!
Mike.buying and special ordering an '18 in this case just doesn't make sense.
Old 05-29-17, 08:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone has their own rationalizations and justifications to support doing what they want to do. If there's anywhere I have learned that, it's on internet forums.
Old 05-29-17, 08:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Couldn't care less about that kind of travel. (I did enough traveling decades ago...also grew up in an Army family where they sent my us to several different continents). I have about as much desire to go to Hawaii as you do for a new Sienna LOL.
After serving in the military for 4 years, I can confirm that leisure travel is much more pleasant than when Uncle Sam decides it's time for you to relocate.
Old 05-29-17, 08:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if the 16% is on all cars, or one select car the dealer has....when I went to that Danbury CT dealer's site it had one car. And cars.com will throw you for a loop, you see $39k cars for $27k, and imho it's not legit.....again my dad bought the Envision and the salesperson told them they get marketing $ to apply to any car they have want to move, but it's that one, you couldn't take an identical list and get the same price....just asking/wondering

again this one seems to work out to the 16%, but not all their cars have the same discount

http://www.ingersollautoofdanbury.co...-CT/2956254883

edit comparing to the MD dealer, the MD is not showing how they arrive at the net price, which to me, is being a little less forthright than the Danbury dealer. And there is always fine print of course, that's nothing underhanded, it's everywhere

http://www.fitzgeraldbuick.com/Vehic...-MD/2991549493

I say there's an over/under on whether you can walk away with the car if paying cash, at the "Fitzway low price." I bet there is conveyance, dmv, pin stripe, vin etch, you know what I mean.

edit 2 imho here's the problem with that MD deal, the fine print being so open ended. again my dad was easy come easy go, and even I was surprised all dealer fees conveyance DMV pin stripe blah blah blah were removed (my dad said he would go to DMV himself, they don't want that because now your leaving with the car is delayed, so they removed the charges). and he did choose the car that had the extra cash on it, not any old one. It was black metallic and probably nobody wanted that color....when they say dealer fees, that's absolutely wide open. wth is lease conquest esp. if you are paying cash for it?*** Tax, title, license and dealer fees (unless itemized above) are extra. Not available with special finance or lease offers. Price includes lease conquest rebate. Not all buyers will qualify. Please see dealer for details*EPA Estimates Only

© 1989-2017 Chrome Systems Corporation

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-29-17 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

After serving in the military for 4 years, I can confirm that leisure travel is much more pleasant than when Uncle Sam decides it's time for you to relocate.

And, with all due respect (and no offense), I can assure you that I couldn't care less. That's just not my lifestyle.
Old 05-29-17, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
So true!
Mike.buying and special ordering an '18 in this case just doesn't make sense.
Thank You...advice noted.
Old 05-29-17, 12:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

ok folks, let's stop with questioning what mike is getting, from where, when, and how much he is willing to pay. it's his car, his money, his life. no more please.
Old 05-29-17, 02:58 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

agreed the most important outcome is to the person who is spending their hard earned money!

I remember my dad configuring an Olds diesel wagon, and a Ford Econoline van, for his business, back in the day. And he wanted to order them the way he wanted. I remember my dad wanted blackwall tires on the Olds (did he see the future lol)? I was a very young child, and I remember pleading a case, what if I gave up my allowance for 2 years, would he get the whitewalls? He said no.....he also did a rim swap on his first Camry, because he did not want alloy rims (I don't think a dealer would do that anymore)....who is to say except the one spending the g's....esp. when said person stated he appreciates the feedback....it's all good!

edit p.s. the point is the "extras" really had (and to this day still doesn't) no any value to my dad...his Envision has alloys because there is no steelie option (it even has Premier LTX which are pretty good for the base tires, I think Hankooks were optional).

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-29-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 05:43 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

So wait - is Mike going to give us his $$ or not?

I can say by following this thread (and I'm a 100% sedan guy, don't get the craze on SUV's) and as a LS460 owner, I'm on Autotrader right now seeing what 2017 Lacrosse units are nearby since the deal is too good to pass up!
Old 05-29-17, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I remember my dad configuring an Olds diesel wagon, and a Ford Econoline van, for his business, back in the day. And he wanted to order them the way he wanted. I remember my dad wanted blackwall tires on the Olds (did he see the future lol)?
I like the look of whitewalls myself, including the Cadillac option of the twin white/gold stripes....but I could maybe see his point. In my experience, whitewalls were a PITA to keep clean, especially with the back brake-dust from today's open-slot wheels and disc-brakes that shed the black powder/dust. And road grime causes a deep stain on the whitewall that has to be scrubbed off with an SOS or Brillo-type soap-pad. They also look terrible when they get a fine maze-crack network in them from typical wear.

edit p.s. the point is the "extras" really had (and to this day still doesn't) no any value to my dad...his Envision has alloys because there is no steelie option (it even has Premier LTX which are pretty good for the base tires, I think Hankooks were optional).
Congratulations on the Envison. He probably hasn't had it long enough for a significant reliability test, but have you had any problems with it so far? I ask because, if you (and he) are not aware of it, it is the only mass-produced vehicle currently imported into the U.S. from a Chinese plant....and, as such, will give us a glimpse into Chinese assembly-quality, though Buick itself has high standards in that department, and would probably not import junk. I reviewed a new Envision, and, myself, found the overall assembly quality, brand-new, straight from the plant, as good as anything I typically see from other countries. But initial condition from the plant is not necessarily a indication for long-term durability...as some of the newer Hondas are showing us.
Old 05-29-17, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
So wait - is Mike going to give us his $$ or not?
You'll get my .02 (two cents)......and be satisfied with it. (Just Kidding)

I can say by following this thread (and I'm a 100% sedan guy, don't get the craze on SUV's) and as a LS460 owner, I'm on Autotrader right now seeing what 2017 Lacrosse units are nearby since the deal is too good to pass up!
There's probably not too many used 2017 Lacrosses on the market right now, as not that many were sold this year. Sedan sales, in general, are way down. That's what makes me a little leery (despite promises from Buick marketing) if we will see any 2018 Lacrosses at all.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-17 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordered my new car (2018 Buick Lacrosse)