Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't understand how Mercedes C can outsell Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 11:09 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lmao at the review. is lexus hurting for reviewers? maybe i should start reviewing cars again.

and again comparing c300 to is350? just because their pricing might be about the same? i can only say i drove the is200t loaner for a month, and i drove the c300 loaner for a day. if i have to choose, i would much rather be driving the c300 for a month
Yes, the IS isn't bad, but it is quite sporty not just in looks, but also in a slight firm, well damped & short travel ride, and maybe more cruising noise too.
Old 05-21-17, 06:33 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Since when is MT's figure 8 a good measure of dynamic handling? You do realize that a Figure 8 is just 2 skidpad loops end to end. And a skidpad is a measure of the car's static grip which is largely due to the tires. A better measure of a car's agility and ability to react to steering inputs has TRADITIONALLY ALWAYS been the slalom. Hate to beat a dead horse but C+D shows that despite aging powertrain, the IS350 beats the F30 3 series handily in the slalom.
the figure 8 was the only available objective handling test numbers i could find that was conducted on all the vehicles in this segment. if you are indicating there is super secret universal slalom testing being conducted on all of these vehicles, please share the link with the rest of us ignorant posters so we can educate ourselves and compare the numbers. thanks, i look forward.
Old 05-21-17, 07:31 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
the figure 8 was the only available objective handling test numbers i could find that was conducted on all the vehicles in this segment. if you are indicating there is super secret universal slalom testing being conducted on all of these vehicles, please share the link with the rest of us ignorant posters so we can educate ourselves and compare the numbers. thanks, i look forward.
The better test of overall capabilities is probably C&D lightning lap annual tests. The IS350 performs extremely well in a track situation despite being less powerful than some of its competitors.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-more-feature

Let's be honest here, the c-class outside of their AMG line has never been best in class handling. The IS350 has actually been praised with near best in class handling (ATS being slightly better).
Old 05-21-17, 09:29 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Let's be honest here, the c-class outside of their AMG line has never been best in class handling.
I don't think anyone has ever praised the C-Class AMG for its handling relative to its class either.
Old 05-21-17, 09:39 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ
The better test of overall capabilities is probably C&D lightning lap annual tests. The IS350 performs extremely well in a track situation despite being less powerful than some of its competitors.
what are the times of the competitors MY2014 or newer that you are referring to? i did not see their times posted under the historical lap times. i did see a MY2007 3 series that was better than the 2014 IS350, but that is all i could find.
Old 05-21-17, 11:37 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

what are the times of the competitors MY2014 or newer that you are referring to? i did not see their times posted under the historical lap times. i did see a MY2007 3 series that was better than the 2014 IS350, but that is all i could find.
Took a screen pic to show you the cars next to it on the historical list. Pretty good company there.
Attached Thumbnails Don't understand how Mercedes C can outsell Lexus IS-photo137.jpg  
Old 05-21-17, 01:45 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because Mercedes doesn't have that ugly grille. Mercedes is driven by older people. And older people like elegance, not aggressiveness. And older people have money. And Mercedes is used as a status symbol, not as a toy.

Younger folks don't have money to buy Lexus IS. And the Lexus IS has that ugly grille. And Lexus scared off a good amount of its loyal customers who refuses to buy a new Lexus because of that ugly grille, so they look for another brand instead.

You should see the pattern by now.
Old 05-21-17, 01:47 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ
Took a screen pic to show you the cars next to it on the historical list. Pretty good company there.
so by that metric, both a Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger are better handling cars than the IS. thanks, on my way to the Dodge dealership now, get myself a svelte canyon carver, can't wait!
Old 05-21-17, 02:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, I have no idea why people even bring up handling and slaloms in here. I bet 90% of IS and C class that are sold are base 4 cylinder model with crappy all season tires, and people that buy them don't give two flys about handling. I think b2884987 pretty much nailed it - C class has more conservative styling that appeals to older folks that failed in life, while IS has a lot more polarizing styling that appeals to young people that can't afford it.
Old 05-21-17, 03:03 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Just be careful of lap times.
They will only be directly comparable if the same driver is used, on the same day, at the same time, and the same weather.
Old 05-21-17, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

"Mercedes is driven by older people"

I think you'd be surprised to see Lexus owners are overall older than Mercedes owners.

"Younger people can't afford Lexus IS"

LOL, plenty of younger people have more than enough money to buy a Lexus IS. They aren't expensive at all, and many mainstream cars are more expensive.
Old 05-21-17, 03:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
"Mercedes is driven by older people"

I think you'd be surprised to see Lexus owners are overall older than Mercedes owners.

"Younger people can't afford Lexus IS"

LOL, plenty of younger people have more than enough money to buy a Lexus IS. They aren't expensive at all, and many mainstream cars are more expensive.
Overall, of course Lexus drivers are older. You have the ES which only appeals to old farts, and RX that appeals to old farts and soccer moms - and these two vehicles make up the bulk of Lexus sales. But the IS certainly appeals mostly to young people, and with todays costs of living, insurance and low paying jobs most young people can't afford any car, never mind a premium one. On the other hand the C class is so conservative, it appeals to a wide range of buyers, including old farts that can't afford an S class.
Old 05-21-17, 03:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

so by that metric, both a Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger are better handling cars than the IS. thanks, on my way to the Dodge dealership now, get myself a svelte canyon carver, can't wait!
They may not handle better but their hp more than makes up heir handling deficiencies on the track. The supposedly more powerful 335 gets about the same time as a weak IS350 which probably means the IS makes up the difference in the corners. Let's not mince words, Mercedes sells way more crappy handling C-class cars than the IS line. I agree with you.
Old 05-21-17, 03:35 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The Charger and Challenger just above the IS in the LL times both have close to 500hp. How exactly do you think the 306hp IS F-Sport is making up for it?
Old 05-21-17, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Overall, of course Lexus drivers are older. You have the ES which only appeals to old farts, and RX that appeals to old farts and soccer moms - and these two vehicles make up the bulk of Lexus sales. But the IS certainly appeals mostly to young people, and with todays costs of living, insurance and low paying jobs most young people can't afford any car, never mind a premium one. On the other hand the C class is so conservative, it appeals to a wide range of buyers, including old farts that can't afford an S class.
"Most young people can't afford any car", this is a tired cliche that really isn't true. Certainly there are many, but *most*? hardly. I'm 36 and I'm driving an $80,000 Lexus. I bought my first Lexus when I was 22. Plenty of younger people out there with the means to buy premium cars.

Yes demographics are different, younger people aren't buying cars or homes as early in their lives, but they are buying them and their future plans overwhelmingly indicate they will when surveyed, etc.

The whole "millennials have no money" thing is way overstated.

Quick Reply: Don't understand how Mercedes C can outsell Lexus IS