Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Dilemma..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 12:34 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

can a pshychiatrist from the bmw forums chime in
thats just what we need
Steve thoughts?
Old 05-05-17, 01:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

This thread is gold.
Old 05-05-17, 02:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
This thread is gold.
Yes it is!

Old 05-05-17, 02:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Note: We will be providing helpful tips to transfer car loans and titles between spouses in the next chapter.
Old 05-05-17, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Thanks Steve! I'll treat it like it was my car...that I'm trying to sell to my wife...
Hahahaha! Awesome.
Old 05-08-17, 10:00 AM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spiveyb
This has to be the dumbest post that I've seen in quite some time.. Glad to know idiots still exist. Thank you for your purpose
The post may not be to your liking, but i would definitely disagree about the idiot comment. From my short time here, BCLexus happens to be one of the most knowledgeable folks on for this forum (at least with our 4G GS350). Almost majority of my questions seem to be answered by him in some way or another.
Old 05-08-17, 01:35 PM
2008GS
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So the wife is in the market of buying a car preferably a Lexus IS250 or IS350, and looking to spend no more then around 25k. She's a owner of a practically paid for (within 3 months) 2010 genesis coupe. I'm actually thinking about selling her my 15 350 fsport for the same amount that I owe on the car which is around 25k. My thought process behind this is, she gets a car that is head and shoulders above what she's currently looking at (IS, and Infiniti Q) and with great mileage only 18.5k, and knows that the car has been taken care of completely. Benefits for me is that I can save what I've been paying on a car note (plus other savings), and just drive the genesis around for a few years. Once the 5GS releases, I would possibly have the opportunity to just buy the car outright, or whatever vehicle that catches my eye in the near future. Another plus is that the 350 fsport still stays in the household even though it's not technically "my car" anymore.

A few cons that I see with this plan is that I LOVE my car, and might be a little sad if she tells me "no you can't drive my car today" lol. Also, would I be able to hold out a few years to get another lexus. Especially when I see her grinning from ear to ear, while I'm putt puttin around in the genesis.

So does this sound like crazy idea? Thoughts?
I agree with your logic; since married people combine finances and savings, you are only re-allocating the car payment to your wife instead of you making the payment right? But hence the question...why? I'm not a marriage counselor, but what's hers is yours and what's yours is hers, no??? The smart thing would be to not have a car payment! But we are living the American dream right (I'm not Dave Ramsey I swear.) From someone who has owned too many new cars to count in my lifetime, I wouldn't do it the same way if I had the choice. And maybe I'm playing devil's advocate to get you thinking? Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-08-17, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2008GS
I agree with your logic; since married people combine finances and savings, you are only re-allocating the car payment to your wife instead of you making the payment right? But hence the question...why? I'm not a marriage counselor, but what's hers is yours and what's yours is hers, no??? The smart thing would be to not have a car payment! But we are living the American dream right (I'm not Dave Ramsey I swear.) From someone who has owned too many new cars to count in my lifetime, I wouldn't do it the same way if I had the choice. And maybe I'm playing devil's advocate to get you thinking? Just my 2 cents.
No, he's actually talking about selling his car to his wife, paying off the loan he has and her applying for another loan to purchase the car from him. As if they were total strangers.
Old 05-08-17, 02:24 PM
2008GS
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
No, he's actually talking about selling his car to his wife, paying off the loan he has and her applying for another loan to purchase the car from him. As if they were total strangers.
Recent news says interest rates are rising; is your current rate lower or higher than the new loan?
Old 05-08-17, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2008GS
Recent news says interest rates are rising; is your current rate lower or higher than the new loan?
She would be financing it longer term than he has it financed now because "she can't afford that high a payment".
Old 05-08-17, 03:41 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Definitely happy. I think that we have a normal system in place to where we have a joint account for the joint finances, and personal account for personal use and for luxury things. Simple system for us and works just fine. But all this was for nothing because my wife wants the IS now lol. But I told her if she changed her mind, the GS is still available at a cheaper price than the IS lololol... figured you guys would've loved that... ��
Wow a lot of negative nellies in here about your how you deal with household finances. I applaud you, if it works for you so be it. My wife and I have been together for 19 years and have always had separate accounts. Our names are on each others accounts (and all of the 10+ accounts we have) to make things easy for transfers, deposits, etc. However, we have separate credit cards where I can't see what she is spending and she can't see what I am spending my money on. I pay for my cars and she pays for hers although we tend to make joint decisions on the daily drivers since we swap cars almost daily. We both work and she used to make more than me and now I make more than her. We split the bills and I transfer money over to my account for our mortgage since it gets taken out automatically each month. It works great for us but may not work for everyone so if it doesn't work for you back the F off. Just because it doesn't work for you don't be so judgemental. Do you think my wife wants me taking our money and paying $1,000+ for my GTR that she doesn't want to ever drive? F no. Do you think I want to see all the crap she buys from Target on a daily basis, F no. I ordered a watch that is close to $9k and wheels for my GTR for another $5k, do you think she would be happy about that? That would cause more of a fight than anything if she knew her hard work was paying for stuff she doesn't want. You want to see my marriage implode, let us combine our joint accounts. We are both CPAs but I handle the joint savings accounts/investments, she doesn't care or want to know about that stuff as long as we have enough saved away. For us it just works, there is not a one size fits all which is why we are human.
Old 05-08-17, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Wow a lot of negative nellies in here about your how you deal with household finances. I applaud you, if it works for you so be it. My wife and I have been together for 19 years and have always had separate accounts. Our names are on each others accounts (and all of the 10+ accounts we have) to make things easy for transfers, deposits, etc. However, we have separate credit cards where I can't see what she is spending and she can't see what I am spending my money on. I pay for my cars and she pays for hers although we tend to make joint decisions on the daily drivers since we swap cars almost daily. We both work and she used to make more than me and now I make more than her. We split the bills and I transfer money over to my account for our mortgage since it gets taken out automatically each month. It works great for us but may not work for everyone so if it doesn't work for you back the F off. Just because it doesn't work for you don't be so judgemental. Do you think my wife wants me taking our money and paying $1,000+ for my GTR that she doesn't want to ever drive? F no. Do you think I want to see all the crap she buys from Target on a daily basis, F no. I ordered a watch that is close to $9k and wheels for my GTR for another $5k, do you think she would be happy about that? That would cause more of a fight than anything if she knew her hard work was paying for stuff she doesn't want. You want to see my marriage implode, let us combine our joint accounts. We are both CPAs but I handle the joint savings accounts/investments, she doesn't care or want to know about that stuff as long as we have enough saved away. For us it just works, there is not a one size fits all which is why we are human.
Here's the question, if your wife decided for instance she wanted your car, and you wanted a new car, would you plan on selling your car to your wife, and expect her to buy the car from you? Or would you just give her the car and have her make the payments out of her account? Would you expect her to take out a car loan, and pay you the money for the car to pay off the loan you already have?

The separate finances aren't what we're finding weird, I wouldn't even say thats uncommon nowadays...the concept of selling your own wife something and expecting her to buy it and pay you for it is what we find strange.
Old 05-08-17, 04:28 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Here's the question, if your wife decided for instance she wanted your car, and you wanted a new car, would you plan on selling your car to your wife, and expect her to buy the car from you? Or would you just give her the car and have her make the payments out of her account? Would you expect her to take out a car loan, and pay you the money for the car to pay off the loan you already have?

The separate finances aren't what we're finding weird, I wouldn't even say thats uncommon nowadays...the concept of selling your own wife something and expecting her to buy it and pay you for it is what we find strange.
No I wouldn't "sell" her my car but if I still had a loan on it she would take over the payments or she could sell her SUV and pay off my loan (I lease my daily but you get the idea). Her SUV is paid for and she is the one who paid for it so that is her money to use for the new car or whatever else she wants to do with that equity. I think that is pretty close to what you are saying right?
Old 05-08-17, 04:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
No I wouldn't "sell" her my car but if I still had a loan on it she would take over the payments or she could sell her SUV and pay off my loan (I lease my daily but you get the idea). Her SUV is paid for and she is the one who paid for it so that is her money to use for the new car or whatever else she wants to do with that equity. I think that is pretty close to what you are saying right?
That highlights the difference, and thats what people were reacting to not the separate finances. The fact that she would be expected to purchase the car, pay off his financing and secure financing of her own.
Old 05-08-17, 05:02 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

That highlights the difference, and thats what people were reacting to not the separate finances. The fact that she would be expected to purchase the car, pay off his financing and secure financing of her own.
Gotcha, that is a little much even for me but if it works for them, so be it. Around where I live it seems like the death of a lot of marriages is from people not being able to keep their junk in their pants, not separate finances.

Quick Reply: Interesting Dilemma..