Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Dilemma..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 09:09 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Interesting Dilemma..

So the wife is in the market of buying a car preferably a Lexus IS250 or IS350, and looking to spend no more then around 25k. She's a owner of a practically paid for (within 3 months) 2010 genesis coupe. I'm actually thinking about selling her my 15 350 fsport for the same amount that I owe on the car which is around 25k. My thought process behind this is, she gets a car that is head and shoulders above what she's currently looking at (IS, and Infiniti Q) and with great mileage only 18.5k, and knows that the car has been taken care of completely. Benefits for me is that I can save what I've been paying on a car note (plus other savings), and just drive the genesis around for a few years. Once the 5GS releases, I would possibly have the opportunity to just buy the car outright, or whatever vehicle that catches my eye in the near future. Another plus is that the 350 fsport still stays in the household even though it's not technically "my car" anymore.

A few cons that I see with this plan is that I LOVE my car, and might be a little sad if she tells me "no you can't drive my car today" lol. Also, would I be able to hold out a few years to get another lexus. Especially when I see her grinning from ear to ear, while I'm putt puttin around in the genesis.

So does this sound like crazy idea? Thoughts?
Old 05-03-17, 09:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Apparently you and your wife share a bed, but have separate financial accounts. To me - it sounds crazy that you would sell your wife anything, or visa-versa. But, maybe that's just me...
Old 05-03-17, 09:36 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Lol not sure how you go we have separate accounts, but ok.. it's more so preventing another car note in the house of 25k. It allows her to get the car she wants and allows me to save for the 5gs down the road.
Old 05-03-17, 09:39 AM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Apparently you and your wife share a bed, but have separate financial accounts. To me - it sounds crazy that you would sell your wife anything, or visa-versa. But, maybe that's just me...
I'm with you buddy... I read a few time just to see if I got it right.

--- I buy vehicle for my wife, last time she was upset that I got her GS450H without asking her! and make sure every morning it starts etc, she gets me dinner every night
Old 05-03-17, 10:30 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Hahaha..although it does seem a little awkward with the financial topic, I've been seeing this a lot lately (perhaps just a California thing?). Apparently finances/money is now a separate entity from marriage. I hear conversations between married couples where they argue in public and say things like "well, its your time to pay this time since I paid the last one" or "well my wife is going to be using mostly her money to buy the family vehicle". Although it seems quite awkward, its becoming more and more frequent (me and my wife do not have separate finances like that).

Getting back to the car topic, the dilemma is tough due to the financial circumstances. Not sure if selling your car to her is a good compromise. In my opinion, since the financials are separate, she should get a car she really wants (with her top choices) with her money.
Old 05-03-17, 10:41 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

As for the separate accounts, my wife and I do the same thing and it works great! I just don't like her having that much control over my finances, she already bosses me around too much, especially when buying stuff for my car haha. As for your dilemma, I would say let her buy her car with her money, keep your car and the Genesis once it's paid off and that way you can still drive your 350, plus use the Genesis to drive and keep mileage on your car down. Then, once the next model GS comes out, you can have a low mileage trade of your 350 plus any money you saved up by then. This way, your wife gets the car she wants, you get to keep your car, and the Genesis can be used as a commuter just to keep mileage down until you're ready to trade and get a new GS...everybody wins! Just my $.02 though.

Last edited by JWBlakk; 05-03-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 10:50 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,149 Likes on 848 Posts

If your wife is considering an IS250/350 and has been driving a genesis coupe, I think a GS might be "too much" car or might not fit her needs. Unless I missed something, if she is considering an IS, she should also consider a Q50, a 3 series BMW or maybe even a C-Class Benz.

I'm in the boat of everyone, included spouses, should get the car THEY prefer/need/want. If she wants a GS and you're willing to part with yours, its a good compromise if you can live with driving the Genesis if the GS is unavailable...
Old 05-03-17, 11:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm curious to know how this magical marriage works:

When you travel together, do you split the cost of gasoline, airline tickets, hotel charges, shows, sporting events, etc.?
Do each of you request separate checks at restaurants?
Do you itemize grocery needs and charge each other accordingly?
Do the two of you file Federal taxes separately instead jointly?
Do you keep detailed records on usage of things such as toilet paper?
How long have you been married...and more importantly - how long do you think the marriage will last?

Old 05-03-17, 12:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It probably only works when the couple has comparable wage. The more traditional family structure has 1 main income generator and 2nd as backup / additional. I used to make 10x my wife so she decided to retire and just use my money
Old 05-03-17, 12:35 PM
spiveyb
Driver

I really didn't mean to turn this into a financial or marital counseling session lol.. But for everyone's info, we have been married over 5 years, and have a complete hold on our financial situation. We have a joint account for bills, and personal accounts for luxury expenses (including cars). Didn't know there was a rule book of how to be married and how your household should work LOLOL
Old 05-03-17, 12:37 PM
spiveyb
Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
If your wife is considering an IS250/350 and has been driving a genesis coupe, I think a GS might be "too much" car or might not fit her needs. Unless I missed something, if she is considering an IS, she should also consider a Q50, a 3 series BMW or maybe even a C-Class Benz.

I'm in the boat of everyone, included spouses, should get the car THEY prefer/need/want. If she wants a GS and you're willing to part with yours, its a good compromise if you can live with driving the Genesis if the GS is unavailable...
Exactly, she wants a IS but would love to have a GS without having to pay for the GS price. Not sure why everyone is making it this difficult.
Old 05-03-17, 12:39 PM
spiveyb
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm curious to know how this magical marriage works:

When you travel together, do you split the cost of gasoline, airline tickets, hotel charges, shows, sporting events, etc.?
Do each of you request separate checks at restaurants?
Do you itemize grocery needs and charge each other accordingly?
Do the two of you file Federal taxes separately instead jointly?
Do you keep detailed records on usage of things such as toilet paper?
How long have you been married...and more importantly - how long do you think the marriage will last?

This has to be the dumbest post that I've seen in quite some time.. Glad to know idiots still exist. Thank you for your purpose
Old 05-03-17, 12:41 PM
spiveyb
Driver

Originally Posted by shurik74
I'm with you buddy... I read a few time just to see if I got it right.

--- I buy vehicle for my wife, last time she was upset that I got her GS450H without asking her! and make sure every morning it starts etc, she gets me dinner every night

I would never buy my wife a car, unless I just had money to blow lol, but hey each is own..
Old 05-03-17, 12:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spiveyb
This has to be the dumbest post that I've seen in quite some time.. Glad to know idiots still exist. Thank you for your purpose

Let us know how the sale of your car to your wife goes.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-05-17 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 12:53 PM
spiveyb
Driver

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
As for the separate accounts, my wife and I do the same thing and it works great! I just don't like her having that much control over my finances, she already bosses me around too much, especially when buying stuff for my car haha. As for your dilemma, I would say let her buy her car with her money, keep your car and the Genesis once it's paid off and that way you can still drive your 350, plus use the Genesis to drive and keep mileage on your car down. Then, once the next model GS comes out, you can have a low mileage trade of your 350 plus any money you saved up by then. This way, your wife gets the car she wants, you get to keep your car, and the Genesis can be used as a commuter just to keep mileage down until you're ready to trade and get a new GS...everybody wins! Just my $.02 though.

Finally a person with some reasonable sense. Everyone is acting like its foreign to have separate accounts. But in regards to your suggestion I think that's the direction I'm leaning towards.

Quick Reply: Interesting Dilemma..