Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mike's Car Info (youtube car reviewer)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 04:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Mike's Car Info (youtube car reviewer)

My brother sent me this........he's looking at another (possible, not definite) Kia purchase. This is his favorite of the YouTube reviewers. What do you guys think? I think he and Alex Dykes (from Alex on Autos) are probably the two most thorough reviewers I've seen yet.

The first video (the static-review) is somewhat lengthy....it will take some time to view it all. The second one (the test-drive) is somewhat shorter, but still rather long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4N5...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CoU...ature=youtu.be

If these links don't work, try this one...the master-site:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MikesCarInfo

Last edited by geko29; 05-04-17 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Fixed links
Old 05-04-17, 06:46 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Fixed the links.
Old 05-04-17, 06:56 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks @geko2

So your brother wants a Niro this time around? @Marshall
Old 05-04-17, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Thanks @geko2

So your brother wants a Niro this time around? @Marshall
He's thinking about it. Nothing definite. His company moved about 20 or so miles further out, and he does a lot more commuting now. He's pretty much a dyed-in the-wool Kia fan....at least for now. Had excellent past-experience with the local Kia/Volvo shop....perhaps not surprising, since that dealership (among others in that dealer-chain) is owned by his Congressman LOL.

I posted it, though, not to concentrate on my brother, but to see what you guys (and ladies) thought of the Mike's Car Info site. He strikes me as a pretty thorough reviewer....both him and Alex Jones from Alex on Autos.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-04-17 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 02:24 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had multiple Kia Niro evaluation vehicles, including one this past week. I think they're great all around cars, only major product line omission might be available AWD, but I know that doesn't matter to most people, and that the adaptive cruise control doesn't bring the car to a complete stop in traffic, requires driver take over once speeds dip below 5 mph, making it less useful for stop and go type traffic where these system can be super beneficial. Well-executed interior design and technology, and nice around town and highway drivability. With mixed commuting my fuel economy average, and I'm a fairly heavy footed/spirited driver, has been in the upper 40's for MPG, pretty close to overall EPA ratings, ours isn't the Touring trim. I'm seeing quite a few of them on the roads here in Los Angeles, and I've recommended it to multiple friends who enjoy theirs immensely. It doesn't shout hybrid in the way it looks, or necessarily in the way it drives with its DCT rather than a CVT-type set up. Handsome little rig at a fairly attractive price point if you keep it to the LX or EX trims.
Old 05-05-17, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, pbm. I did a full-review of a Niro myself several months ago. How did you end up evaluating several of them......did your company or agency put in a fleet-order?

My brother is going out tomorrow to look at both a Niro and a new Sportage SX turbo (I'll be with him, of course). He likes the idea of the Niro's gas mileage, tax benefits, Un-Prius conventionality, and low operating costs, but will probably need AWD for at least some of his winter commutes.

What did you think of Mike's videos? That was actually the main reason I opened the thread, not my brother's purchase.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-05-17 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 09:09 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, pbm. I did a full-review of a Niro myself several months ago. How did you end up evaluating several of them......did your company or agency put in a fleet-order?

My brother is going out tomorrow to look at both a Niro and a new Sportage SX turbo (I'll be with him, of course). He likes the idea of the Niro's gas mileage, tax benefits, Un-Prius conventionality, and low operating costs, but will probably need AWD for at least some of his winter commutes.

What did you think of Mike's videos? That was actually the main reason I opened the thread, not my brother's purchase.
I don't really care for the walkaround videos of cars on the lots like this and saabkyle, etc. No knock on them, I just don't need them since I already get to see and evaluate every car on the market.
Old 05-08-17, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't really care for the walkaround videos of cars on the lots like this and saabkyle, etc. No knock on them, I just don't need them since I already get to see and evaluate every car on the market.
That was my question, though.........do you evaluate these vehicles because of company-purchases, or are you now a professional reviewer working for the auto press?
Old 05-09-17, 08:32 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

That was my question, though.........do you evaluate these vehicles because of company-purchases, or are you now a professional reviewer working for the auto press?
I do not work for the auto press. I have been in the actual automotive industry for quite some time, in both manufacturing strategy and product planning, as well as now with a consulting firm.
Old 05-09-17, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I do not work for the auto press. I have been in the actual automotive industry for quite some time, in both manufacturing strategy and product planning, as well as now with a consulting firm.

OK, Thanks. I'm not trying to be nosy or overly-prying....just wanted to know where you were coming from.
Old 05-09-17, 06:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Very boring review of a very dull vehicle. I only had patience to skip through the video for maybe 30 seconds, lol.
Old 05-09-17, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Very boring review of a very dull vehicle. I only had patience to skip through the video for maybe 30 seconds, lol.
Perhaps so, but so-called "boring" vehicles often appeal to a lot of people. Note the number of Camrys and Corollas sold each year. And, while guys like this may not be your cup of tea (and I respect your view on that), I like reviewers who take the time to do a through job.
Old 05-09-17, 06:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Perhaps so, but so-called "boring" vehicles often appeal to a lot of people. Note the number of Camrys and Corollas sold each year. And, while guys like this may not be your cup of tea (and I respect your view on that), I like reviewers who take the time to do a through job.
Vehicles like Camrys and Corolla don't appeal to a lot of people. People that buy these miserable forms of transportation generally don't care for cars and don't enjoy driving. And I'm pretty sure watching paint dry is less painful than watching that monotonous reviewer.
Old 05-09-17, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Vehicles like Camrys and Corolla don't appeal to a lot of people. People that buy these miserable forms of transportation generally don't care for cars and don't enjoy driving. And I'm pretty sure watching paint dry is less painful than watching that monotonous reviewer.
Wel, like I said, I respect your view on that, but IMO reviewers are not supposed to be entertainers. They are describing a vehicle, not one's emotions. People like Jeremy Clarkson and Jay Leno, who ARE primarily entertainers, usually don't do much of a job actually describing the vehicles themselves....though Leno admittedly did a good job talking about the old French Citroens and their ingenious designs.
Old 05-09-17, 06:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Wel, like I said, I respect your view on that, but IMO reviewers are not supposed to be entertainers. They are describing a vehicle, not one's emotions. People like Jeremy Clarkson and Jay Leno, who ARE primarily entertainers, usually don't do much of a job actually describing the vehicles themselves....though Leno admittedly did a good job talking about the old French Citroens and their ingenious designs.
There's really little point in reviewing these Camcordtima appliances. They are all pretty much the same, and I doubt anybody cares that leather on the center arm rest of a Kia Niro feels softer than leather on its door arm rest. Reviews should be somewhat interesting, and in the digital age there are plenty of guys on youtube that doe excellent reviews that are interesting, entertaining and informative.

Quick Reply: Mike's Car Info (youtube car reviewer)