Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus brand vs Audi vs BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
X6M lol.... you mean that Acura ZDX with more power? I finally found one person who actually likes that POS.
...........You mean Chris Bangle LOL?

Old 05-07-17, 07:59 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

X6M lol.... you mean that Acura ZDX with more power? I finally found one person who actually likes that POS.
0-60 in 3.7 sec and a 1.01g skidpad in a 5000 lb monster is hard to not be impressed by. It's certainly not a vehicle that fits my lifestyle, but they are far from being a POS.
Old 05-07-17, 08:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is just no way that Lexus is tier 1. Their flaghips LS and LX are about 10 years behind competition, and with next LS they are going backwards by only offering a 6 cylinder. Then you have rumors of GS being cancelled, which I hope wont turn out true. Their cars are good on their own merit, but they are tier 2 at best, and at the pace the competition is moving forward the gap only grows larger and larger.
Old 05-07-17, 08:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

You went full throttle with the hyperbole and tossed in a rumour for good measure.
Old 05-07-17, 09:05 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

What is it with these new topics/threads lately where you never see the OP respond or engage in their own questioning?

All of these topics have been beaten to death.
Old 05-08-17, 04:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
What is it with these new topics/threads lately where you never see the OP respond or engage in their own questioning?

All of these topics have been beaten to death.
imho it's human nature, just like when folks initiate a thread such as, "I have this rare issue can anyone help me, please I need to drive my car!" Then someone posts up detailed stuff from the factory manual, and says, this might be your issue, let us know if it helps! The OP goes, "I will try this when I get home tonight, thanks!"

Then you never hear for them again, and sure enough, people have the exact same issue down the road, because it happens to others....and the thread is dead.

How about we start another, "Do you get better mpgs with premium, and is your car smoother" post?
Old 05-08-17, 05:18 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There is just no way that Lexus is tier 1. Their flaghips LS and LX are about 10 years behind competition, and with next LS they are going backwards by only offering a 6 cylinder. Then you have rumors of GS being cancelled, which I hope wont turn out true. Their cars are good on their own merit, but they are tier 2 at best, and at the pace the competition is moving forward the gap only grows larger and larger.
i don't think the public perception of lexus is at a tier 2 status in the united states. they certainly don't have the prestige of mb, bmw, and audi, but they can hold their own. they're sort of stuck in the middle of tier 1 and tier 2 -- something along the lines of tier 1.5 seems fit.
Old 05-08-17, 05:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i don't think the public perception of lexus is at a tier 2 status in the united states. they certainly don't have the prestige of mb, bmw, and audi, but they can hold their own. they're sort of stuck in the middle of tier 1 and tier 2 -- something along the lines of tier 1.5 seems fit.
I agree they are in the middle. However, the new LC500 is no doubt at Tier 1 type of product from Lexus.
Old 05-08-17, 10:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree they are in the middle. However, the new LC500 is no doubt at Tier 1 type of product from Lexus.
Not if the new LS only has a 6 cylinder. Most of its competitors also offer 12 cylinders.
Old 05-08-17, 10:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You went full throttle with the hyperbole and tossed in a rumour for good measure.
Och has valid points though. I think Lexus falls maybe more into Tier 1.5 or 1.75 then 2 but Lexus is heading more Tier 2 with their current lineup, what constitutes their bulk sales, and engines while the Germans seem to be making moves to go higher. I would say BMW, Mercedes are solid Tier 1, Audi is about there but has had some issues they have mostly overcome based on histories, sales in all markets, and lineups. I am not hung up on Tier though as long as the cars are good.

Last edited by UDel; 05-09-17 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 02:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Look at Audi and the giant leaps forward they made in the last decade to place themselves at tier 1. Look at Land Rover - just a decade ago they had nothing but unreliable antiquated junk, and look at them now. Why then Lexus constantly seems to be making one step forward and two backwards?
Old 05-09-17, 05:16 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Och has valid points though. I think Lexus falls maybe more into Tier 2.5 then 2 but Lexus is heading more Tier 2 with their current lineup, what constitutes their bulk sales, and engines while the Germans seem to be making moves to go higher. I would say BMW, Mercedes are solid Tier 1, Audi is about there but has had some issues they have mostly overcome based on histories, sales in all markets, and lineups. I am not hung up on Tier though as long as the cars are good.
i think placing them at 2.5 isn't giving them nearly enough credit.
Old 05-09-17, 06:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i think placing them at 2.5 isn't giving them nearly enough credit.
I think he meant tier 1.5.
Old 05-09-17, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Look at Audi and the giant leaps forward they made in the last decade to place themselves at tier 1.
The diesel-scandal, though, has not helped their image any....though there is no question their products have gotten more well-built and solidly screwed-together. And they have done first-class interiors and fit/finish for years.

Look at Land Rover - just a decade ago they had nothing but unreliable antiquated junk, and look at them now.
To some extent, apples and oranges. Ten years ago, both Jaguar and Land Rover were under Ford ownership. Today, of course, they are owned by India's Tata Motors. (after Ford said Ta-Ta to them LOL)

Why then Lexus constantly seems to be making one step forward and two backwards?
Well, even aside from the grille/styling issues, which is mostly subjective with each person, IMO, the biggest single factor is cost-cutting.Though they still rank very high in reliability (first or near first on many lists), most of today's Lexus products don't seem to have the same solidity and feel to them in their sheet metal, interior parts, doors, hardware, and a number of other components than they did a decade or two ago. It's just a lighter, less-durable feel. There is also, IMO, too much of an emphasis on sport-orientation, and loss of the traditional Lexus cushiness in ride and refinement, though the new RX seems to have reversed that trend somewhat some with its excellent refinement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-17 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 07:47 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've never been to LA or Vancouver then.

The X6 is a very impressive vehicle no matter how you feel about the styling.

Quick Reply: Lexus brand vs Audi vs BMW