Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrid recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 06:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's one area where Toyota might (?) take a cue from Lincoln. Lincoln had had a policy, for a number of years, of selling the MKZ entry-luxury sedans Hybrid for the same base price as their base gas-powered model. Makes it quite a bargain.
That policy may have made the MKZ Hybrid a bargain but it did so at the higher price of the gasoline-powered MKZ. Ford (or any other automaker) would not have lowered the price of the Hybrid model to the price of the gasoline-powered model, but rather found a nice compromise price: raise the price of the gasoline-powered model so that it subsidizes the lower the price of the hybrid model.

That may work for a luxury brand but would not work for a mass-market brand. I highly doubt that (North American) buyers of the Corolla, for example, would be willing to pay a higher price so that it would subsidize the lower price of a Corolla Hybrid; Toyota would lose sales of all Corolla models, perhaps to the point that the Corolla becomes irrelevant. Toyota cannot afford to do that when the Civic and Mazda3 sell so well in North America.

Well, if the Camry is going to get that, then the Next-Gen ES will probably also. That will be interesting to see.

You think you might be on the potential customer list? I can certainly think of worse ways to spend one's automotive dollars.
The lease on my ESh comes due in the new year. I have not yet decided whether to turn it in and get a Camry Hybrid or buy it out and wait a few months for the introduction of the new ESh.
Old 05-25-17, 03:22 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

So he test drove a 2017 new Prius today (Four Touring, MSRP ~$33k), 2017 new Avalon Hybrid (MSRP $41k) and heavily favored the Avalon Hybrid. ES300H is next on his list; though he will likely wait to check out the new Camry Hybrid....and I suspect the Avalon redesign is around the corner as well? He'll check out the Kia Niro as well, maybe he'll be surprised. Looked briefly at a CMAX (outdated, funny looking....) as well.
Old 05-25-17, 07:13 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wandl
So he test drove a 2017 new Prius today (Four Touring, MSRP ~$33k), 2017 new Avalon Hybrid (MSRP $41k) and heavily favored the Avalon Hybrid. ES300H is next on his list; though he will likely wait to check out the new Camry Hybrid....and I suspect the Avalon redesign is around the corner as well? He'll check out the Kia Niro as well, maybe he'll be surprised. Looked briefly at a CMAX (outdated, funny looking....) as well.
So, how does your friend like the new Prius?

New Avalon and ES models typically follow a year after a new Camry model. We know that the new Camry is coming on sale soon, as a 2018 model, and we have not yet seen the new Avalon and ES, so I would think that Toyota will introduce new Avalon and ES models a year later, for 2019.

I myself may wait. The lease on my ES Hybrid expires in the new year and I do not know yet if I should turn in the ES and get the new Camry or buy out the ES and wait for the new 2019 model.
Old 05-25-17, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
That policy may have made the MKZ Hybrid a bargain but it did so at the higher price of the gasoline-powered MKZ. Ford (or any other automaker) would not have lowered the price of the Hybrid model to the price of the gasoline-powered model, but rather found a nice compromise price: raise the price of the gasoline-powered model so that it subsidizes the lower the price of the hybrid model.
I know what you ae trying to say here, but, respectfully, I don't quite agree with it. If Lincoln jacked the price of the gas-powered MKZ to "subsidize" the hybrid version, I don't think the gas-powered ones would sell well....customers would think they were overpriced (in fact, they aren't selling well, but that is due to other reasons.....primarily, the growth of SUVs).
Old 05-26-17, 05:56 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

I know what you ae trying to say here, but, respectfully, I don't quite agree with it. If Lincoln jacked the price of the gas-powered MKZ to "subsidize" the hybrid version, I don't think the gas-powered ones would sell well....customers would think they were overpriced (in fact, they aren't selling well, but that is due to other reasons.....primarily, the growth of SUVs).
Ford, like any other automaker, is a business, and the goal of a business is to make money, not to give away product at a loss.

If Ford simply reduced the price of the Hybrid without raising prices on other trim lines or options of the MKZ to cover the higher costs of the Hybrid (considering the extra costs of the second, electric powertrain) not covered by the lower sales price, Ford would lose money on the MKZ model as a whole.

Using other trim lines or options to cover the costs of a low-priced model is not new in the auto business; the low-priced model (perhaps selling at a loss) is known as the loss leader. This type of pricing model is much more easily done in the luxury car business where higher prices are the norm and where it becomes much easier to hide high-priced trim lines or options.