Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

finally mine, 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 08:36 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Very nice, but my wallet hurts for you lol. Be sure you love it! Its going to be like dating a coke starved stripper LOL
LMAO !
Old 08-16-17, 07:52 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I had seen a funny video where a guy had the SL AMG from about 2003 or 04, and he said let me drive to the dealer and see how much they're going to recommend in service, I think maybe $6k, but let's see....then he went to pick up his car and they told him he can't film inside the dealership (c'mon now I think that's arbitrary, you can film anything nowadays)....he gets a "report" that's hundreds of pages long, I think they were recommending like $16k off the bat, but a lot was not known, and the tech personally told him he should get rid of the car lol

I got a kick when they told him the tranny might fail, he goes he has no idea why they would say that, and his video cuts to him launching at a drag strip....

When you think about it, though, how could a car from only 2004 say, not be serviceable realistically? I drove the non AMG version of that car, at an event, and it was insanely beautiful....I remember it had started to rain so MB began closing the tops...

edit just looked online as my buddy is in the market (Lexus, Audi, MB), MB's CPO is only 1 year beyond the 4 yr. bumper to bumper, imho that's not standing behind one's products, rather interesting. I assumed a CPO is by default 2 yrs, 100k.
that would be Tavarish, who last i heard was attempting to convert his SL55 to a manual transmission
Old 12-31-19, 07:44 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Stroock,
It has been about 2,5 years since you got your E55. Mind sharing your ownership experience thus far? What did you have to do for repairs? There's this stigma that German cars are unreliable and expensive to keep, but I was reading that this particular car might be an exception...
I am thinking about getting an E55 later, I am not a mechanic, but have been able to do a lot of stuff myself on my 1999 LS400 - changed entire suspension, both front and rear, engine mounts, starter job, will be doing next timing belt myself too.
Thank you,

Val

Last edited by valex; 12-31-19 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-01-20, 11:41 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by valex
Stroock, It has been about 2,5 years since you got your E55. Mind sharing your ownership experience thus far? What did you have to do for repairs?
Val
sure thing, it's been awesome! when you buy a car that cost $87,000 in 2005 for just over $11,000 after it's more than a decade old there's naturally gonna be a few things that pop up and mine was no exception lol... as far as actual parts that needed to be replaced (excluding tires) i've had to do the (all prices include parts and labor):

- dual idler pulley (was getting wobbly and sounding very clackity clackity, cost about $190 and did it myself)
- one of the rear air springs began to leak, got those both done for about $900 per side
- airmatic compressor pump that started to burn itself out from overworking to compensate for the leaking spring, like $650
- one of the rear subframe bolts sheared off somehow, that was definitely an unforeseen mishap... nearly $800 from the labor involved
- alternator began to fail, about $450

edit:
- oh yea and the intercooler pump, $210

i'm pretty sure that's about everything, i wouldn't say it's been the "coke starved stripped" it was suggested it'd be lol... at the end of the day the E55 is basically just a supercharged E500 with beefier drivetrain and suspension components, it has the very tried and proven M113 and 5-speed engine/transmission combo, and it also has 'only' regular air suspension so it doesn't suffer the same problems as the ABC hydropneumatic active suspension of the S/SL/CL which can literally cost upwards of 10 grand to fix

fixing stuff is also pretty straightforward for the most part (finding the room to work in the engine bay can be tricky at times with the engine being so enormous and all) and maintenance is all fairly easy, if you've done major suspension work on your LS i think you'll have no problem

i also believe that the E55 is generally an exception to the old german car repair nightmare stigma, but that stigma helps keep the prices so low! i did a blackstone oil analysis and everything came back a-ok, my biggest thing to stress is MAKE SURE you get a thorough PPI and check everything first, although i'm sure you don't need to be told that lol... it really is a hell of a machine, seriously, what... a... vehicle..... you can outrun a ferrari F430 for half the price of a new corolla! all while cocooned in luxury getting a heated and ventilated massage from its sumptuous thick leather seats

compared to modern AMGs which are more kind of well rounded sports cars with AWD and flat handling, the E55 is like a luxury hot rod that's still fighting for traction well into highway speeds... it manages to be both more comfortable and more violently aggressive than the smaller engined turbo'd current offerings, the combination of bigger engine and supercharger just give it these like near tesla levels of immediate shove and sustained force, and THE SOUND!! ughhh it never gets old... plus i prefer the more reserved elegant styling of the W211 to the current stuff

there's two youtubers AMGmeister and LegitStreetCars who are great E55 resources, i wish you luck if you decide to get one! i don't think you'll have regrets if you do

Last edited by Stroock639; 01-02-20 at 04:41 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 01-01-20, 01:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
sure thing, it's been awesome! when you buy a car that cost $87,000 in 2005 for just over $11,000 after it's more than a decade old there's naturally gonna be a few things that pop up and mine was no exception lol... as far as actual parts that needed to be replaced (excluding tires) i've had to do the (all prices include parts and labor):

- dual idler pulley (was getting wobbly and sounding very clackity clackity, cost about $190 and did it myself)
- one of the rear air springs began to leak, got those both done for about $900 per side
- airmatic compressor pump that started to burn itself out from overworking to compensate for the leaking spring, like $650
- one of the rear subframe bolts sheared off somehow, that was definitely an unforeseen mishap... nearly $800 from the labor involved
- alternator began to fail, about $450

i'm pretty sure that's about everything, i wouldn't say it's been the "coke starved stripped" it was suggested it'd be lol... at the end of the day the E55 is basically just a supercharged E500 with beefier drivetrain and suspension components, it has the very tried and proven M113 and 5-speed engine/transmission combo, and it also has 'only' regular air suspension so it doesn't suffer the same problems as the ABC hydropneumatic active suspension of the S/SL/CL which can literally cost upwards of 10 grand to fix
Was that your car on a 0-100+ pull? That's unimpeachable proof that 5 gears is all you need...I've always said that. 6 is good, too, but any more than that is pointless.

I'm glad you've had a good experience....however the Joe Blow who isn't DIY inclined has to take it to the dealer for everything probably spent A LOT more than you hahaha.

Old 01-01-20, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Was that your car on a 0-100+ pull? That's unimpeachable proof that 5 gears is all you need...I
I think I tend to agree.
Old 01-01-20, 04:22 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
Was that your car on a 0-100+ pull? That's unimpeachable proof that 5 gears is all you need...I've always said that. 6 is good, too, but any more than that is pointless.
it just might be lol... you definitely don't need more than 5 gears when there's 540+ ft lbs from 2500 rpm, but i agree there should really never be more than 6

were 'the driver' to have kept their foot down longer, the car wouldn't have shifted out of 3rd until about 135 mph, and it finally pulls 5th at 180! even at 1500 rpm in 5th the torque is so immense there's literally never a need to downshift even to accelerate up a steep hill, an additional 2-3 gears would just detract from the experience

I'm glad you've had a good experience....however the Joe Blow who isn't DIY inclined has to take it to the dealer for everything probably spent A LOT more than you hahaha.
yea it certainly can be an expensive car to maintain if you just go to a dealer and hand them the keys for everything, but with my limited DIY skills and connections with mechanics i'm able make things work out pretty well for the most part lol... me being able to do my own oil changes and diagnose minor issues myself is especially helpful