Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW M5 finally getting all-wheel drive, can be switched off

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 12:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW M5 finally getting all-wheel drive, can be switched off

After months of rumors and speculation, BMW finally announced what we've all been expecting: the next M5 will have all-wheel drive. This is sure to raise the ire of purists who still lament the move away from six-cylinder power, but it was always going to be difficult to send the expected 600 horsepower from a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 to the rear wheels. Unfortunately, the announcement doesn't have final power or performance specs, though we do know the car will go on sale later this year.

BMW promises the M5's all-wheel drive system, suitably named M xDrive, will make the car the "most exciting and emotionally enthralling" M5 yet. That still remains to be seen, but it's sure to be the most advanced and the most complicated M5 ever. To make it feel like an M car, the M xDrive system is set up to be rear-biased, only sending power forward when the rear loses traction. The goal was to deliver optimum traction while providing a similar driving experience to the the current M5.

There are five different drive modes when you combine the various stability control (DSC on, MDM, DSC) and all-wheel drive settings (4WD, 4WD Sport, 2WD). The latter allows the all-wheel drive system to be completely disabled, sort of a bone thrown to purists. What's likely to irk people is that the M5 defaults to 4WD mode with DSC on everytime it starts. Each drive mode allows for more and more freedom, giving some control back to the driver.

Inside, the M5 gets a redesigned instrument cluster and a new screen which BMW dubs "Control Display." There are no photos of the new display, but based on BMW description it will be similar to the current car. Two round dials with red needles are supplemented by a digital speedometer and a rev-counter with adjustable shift lights in the heads-up display. The HUD also has other M-specific functions, though BMW doesn't specify.

Despite all the news on the all-wheel drive system, BMW is holding back on most other details. The photos don't show anything we haven't already seen in spy shots. Horsepower, torque, and performance specs are all up in the air, though BMW does say that the car will have "sprints in the sort of times that leave its predecessor trailing in its wake," essentially meaning it's faster than the old model.
Source
Old 05-17-17, 01:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is going to be fast, but its basically a very fast, capable and high tech luxury vehicle now without much sporty character.
Old 05-17-17, 01:42 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

This is sure to raise the ire of purists who still lament the move away from six-cylinder power
The last six-cylinder M5 rolled off the assembly line well over TWO DECADES AGO! These people need to move on.

As for the topic at hand, AWD was inevitable with the way power has been escalating the last few years. AWD has been standard on the E63 since 2014. Kind of cool that it can be disabled, curious what specific method they're using there.
Old 05-18-17, 05:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The last six-cylinder M5 rolled off the assembly line well over TWO DECADES AGO! These people need to move on.

As for the topic at hand, AWD was inevitable with the way power has been escalating the last few years. AWD has been standard on the E63 since 2014. Kind of cool that it can be disabled, curious what specific method they're using there.
Do people want a 6 in the M5? Nobody that I know. If it got stuffed with a 6, I would feel it's cheapification marching on.....sure, my 335i is an inline 6 and that's the motor I want to own (N54), but I am anti removing V8s from cars that currently hvae them, such as the LS. I just prefer RWD period, as I'm not after the fastest track time nor would I use such a car for performance in foul weather. I don't like what AWD does to the front suspensions of RWD cars....that's just me...so even disabled, the setup is still different....
Old 05-18-17, 07:17 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While purists still gonna complaint about the AWD system carrying extra dead weight to haul around...
i personally welcome the change, since current M5 is consistently losing traction so with added power, AWD will be safer to 80% of the people that driving it daily.
Old 05-18-17, 07:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
While purists still gonna complaint about the AWD system carrying extra dead weight to haul around...
i personally welcome the change, since current M5 is consistently losing traction so with added power, AWD will be safer to 80% of the people that driving it daily.
It's dead weight and to make it even worse it makes the steering feel like FWD.
Old 05-18-17, 08:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

F80 M3 can't put power down, I can spin the wheels all day.
Its unrealistic for "600"hp car to be RWD and put 0-60 in low 3s.

I put 600 in quotations bec in reality that number is significantly underrated like all BMW hp figures.
In reality its probably pushing 600 at the wheels and 650+ at the crank.

I wish BMW will make a M5 GTS with RWD and NA V8 pushing 550hp and a manual trans or DCT.
That can actually put the power down. They should widen the rear fenders a la M3 and put 305s back there.
This would make M5 standout and bring BMW back to being different.
People forget back in its heyday - the ///M cars were never the fastest in a straight line, it was the driving experience that made them special.

This new M5 no longer is any different than E63AMG or RS6/7.
Rocket ship isolated from the road.
Old 05-18-17, 12:09 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mixed feelings about this. This was probably the compromise they had to make in order to keep RWD alive, as I'd assume it would be too expensive to create BOTH a RWD and AWD ///M5.

This is probably what their customers want, as the overwhelming majority of these cars are daily drivers. This adds appeal to anyone living in the northern states, and will certainly attract the crowd who went to Audi by default cause they wanted a super sedan with 365 day usability.
Old 05-18-17, 12:11 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
It is going to be fast, but its basically a very fast, capable and high tech luxury vehicle now without much sporty character.
It sucks but that's pretty much what the market demands now. Luxury and outright speed/power first, handling and "feel" a distant second.

The ///M5, E63, and RS6/7 are all basically the same car: luxurious and tech-laden rocket ships for the Autobahn.
Old 05-18-17, 02:21 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The real problem of course is that the weight of the M5 has absolutely ballooned. The first M5 was only around 3300lbs. That's one reason I liked the E60, because it was basically the same weight as the E39 - and despite having a V10.

The reality is that all of these "compromise" luxury-sport cars are just becoming barges with big engines.
Old 05-18-17, 02:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The real problem of course is that the weight of the M5 has absolutely ballooned. The first M5 was only around 3300lbs. That's one reason I liked the E60, because it was basically the same weight as the E39 - and despite having a V10.

The reality is that all of these "compromise" luxury-sport cars are just becoming barges with big engines.
Weight is not the only factor. It's hard to even really compare M5's with their dimensions growing every generation. With the 7-Series G11/G12 at 200/206in respectively, I wouldn't be surprised if the next 5-Series/M5 gets close to 195in, furthering your luxury barge with big engine argument.

E28 M5 181.9in
E34 M5 185.8in
E39 M5 188.3in
E60 M5 191.5in
F10 M5 193.3in
Old 05-18-17, 08:53 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
F80 M3 can't put power down, I can spin the wheels all day.
Its unrealistic for "600"hp car to be RWD and put 0-60 in low 3s.

I put 600 in quotations bec in reality that number is significantly underrated like all BMW hp figures.
In reality its probably pushing 600 at the wheels and 650+ at the crank.

I wish BMW will make a M5 GTS with RWD and NA V8 pushing 550hp and a manual trans or DCT.
That can actually put the power down. They should widen the rear fenders a la M3 and put 305s back there.
This would make M5 standout and bring BMW back to being different.
People forget back in its heyday - the ///M cars were never the fastest in a straight line, it was the driving experience that made them special.

This new M5 no longer is any different than E63AMG or RS6/7.
Rocket ship isolated from the road

Which is why the RWD NA V8 Lexus GSF with its beautiful steering and agility and its comparable lightness is so commendable. It's basically the purist's driver's luxury super sedan.
Old 05-18-17, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

People complain when there's no v8 and they complain when there IS a v8
Old 05-18-17, 09:20 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Which is why the RWD NA V8 Lexus GSF with its beautiful steering and agility and its comparable lightness is so commendable. It's basically the purist's driver's luxury super sedan.
I don't know about that - when these midrange "sports"-luxury compromise cars are starting at over 4,000 lbs, a 5% weight difference seems like just splitting hairs.
Old 05-18-17, 10:05 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't know about that - when these midrange "sports"-luxury compromise cars are starting at over 4,000 lbs, a 5% weight difference seems like just splitting hairs.
The GSF is the same weight as the legendary E39 M5 which was often considered the quintessential super sedan.

In fact I read or watched a review basically saying the GSF is the spiritual successor to the E39 M5.

Quick Reply: BMW M5 finally getting all-wheel drive, can be switched off