Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 05:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

I don't think anybody buying an M3 or Corvette is worried about the cost of replacement tires. If they are, they wouldn't be spending the coin on an M3 or Corvette, or they shouldn't be.

Yeah it's a sports car, with huge meaty tires. They're expensive Lots of other expensive things about them too. It's like going out for Kobe beef and choosing the cheapest place to have it.

Cannot imagine living my life that way. What's the point in working and succeeding if one is to worry about money all the time to such a degree?! I worried about money like that when I was poor

I would never put a tire on a loaner. I would take it back with the spare and get another loaner. Thinking it makes sense to buy a tire on a loaner car but not wanting to buy a Corvette because the tires are too expensive?!? I don't get it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-23-17 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 07:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't think anybody buying an M3 or Corvette is worried about the cost of replacement tires. If they are, they wouldn't be spending the coin on an M3 or Corvette, or they shouldn't be.

Yeah it's a sports car, with huge meaty tires. They're expensive Lots of other expensive things about them too. It's like going out for Kobe beef and choosing the cheapest place to have it.

Cannot imagine living my life that way. What's the point in working and succeeding if one is to worry about money all the time to such a degree?! I worried about money like that when I was poor

I would never put a tire on a loaner. I would take it back with the spare and get another loaner. Thinking it makes sense to buy a tire on a loaner car but not wanting to buy a Corvette because the tires are too expensive?!? I don't get it.
imho the more money one has, the more one is concerned, not necessarily with all details (for example how many hours the corp. jet is billing is not a detail, it is a real concern), but if anything, a person becomes more human with mo' monay. I personally know a billionaire who was displeased his iPad was over $1,200, it seemed like a lot to him for an iPad. I disagree that a person should not know how much or what tires are on a vehicle, but to each his own.

In your world, would you roam in Africa at $20.48/mb, or only connect on wifi? This was a few years ago, it's now $2.05/mb, which is still huge.

edit: I know someone who went on a trip, and when the trip (lasted 2 1/2 wks) was done, his cell bill was over $18,000. Live large baby!

edit2: this is going back to about 2004, I remember a colleague whose office phone in his house was running $12k/mo. Sitting idle. When it was brought to his attention, he said that's fine, the co. must provide this to me as part of my contract. This is imho a disconnect that is more acceptable today, than it was back then.

edit 3: You seem to often come up with analogies that are unrelated, or not clear on how related, like the Morton's Steak one, that was out of left field! Not following repairing a tire on an Audi, and not buying a corvette.

I can't resist
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ires-ouch.html

Last edited by Johnhav430; 08-23-17 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
imho the more money one has, the more one is concerned, not necessarily with all details (for example how many hours the corp. jet is billing is not a detail, it is a real concern), but if anything, a person becomes more human with mo' monay. I personally know a billionaire who was displeased his iPad was over $1,200, it seemed like a lot to him for an iPad. I disagree that a person should not know how much or what tires are on a vehicle, but to each his own.
There's a difference between being annoyed something is so expensive, and not buying things that you want or need because of what they cost or aspects of what they cost. If I were going to buy a Corvette or a 911 or a Ferrari or some other expensive sports car that I was buying as a luxury purchase and for the joy of having such a car, the last thing I would be worried about is the cost of tires, is my point. Tires are going to be expensive, whether tires cost $1,000 or $2,000 is not going to be a deciding factor in whether or not I'm going to buy a Corvette or 911, no.

If your billionaire friend frets over $1,200 for an iPad or decided not to buy an iPad he really wanted because of the cost, I would question "why be a billionaire?" yes. I know that people like that exist in the world, I just don't get it is all.

In your world, would you roam in Africa at $20.48/mb, or only connect on wifi? This was a few years ago, it's now $2.05/mb, which is still huge.
1. I wouldn't be in Africa. No interest.
2. It would depend on whether I needed to roam when not on WiFi for some reason. If I needed to roam for a business reason or an important personal reason than I would roam. I wouldn't roam to upload selfies to Facebook, no.

But I have a client in Kenya right now I'm paying $2 a minute to talk to...but I need to talk to him. Am I worried about it? No...its a cost of doing business. Talked to him for 30 minutes this morning.

I'm not a spendthrift, of course there are things I would like to have that I don't have because of the cost. However, if I'm going to go out to dinner I go out to dinner...I order what I want I don't worry about the cost. When my car needs tires, my car is important to me and I want it to perform the best it can, I buy the best tires. When I go on vacation I go on vacation, I don't hold back from doing things on vacation because they're expensive. When I buy clothes, I buy what I like and don't really worry about the cost. The ability to do that is a big part of why I work as hard as I do.

know a guy who has plenty of money and waited on a bench while his family went to an Aquarium because he didn't want to spend $40 on a ticket. Thats just stupid IMHO, how much longer are your preteen kids going to want to go to an aquarium with you!?! Must really want that $40. Same guy went to Disney with his kids at Christmas, and refused to go to the special Christmas party they all wanted to go to because you had to buy extra tickets. Yeah...because you're in Disney with your family at Christmas every day...so why spend the $500?

edit2: this is going back to about 2004, I remember a colleague whose office phone in his house was running $12k/mo. Sitting idle. When it was brought to his attention, he said that's fine, the co. must provide this to me as part of my contract. This is imho a disconnect that is more acceptable today, than it was back then.
If his company is paying for it who cares? I wouldn't care either.

edit 3: You seem to often come up with analogies that are unrelated, or not clear on how related
The point of the analogy is...you're buying a very expensive item that serves no purpose other than to provide you joy and excitement. Nothing practical about it...why cheap out or worry about an ancillary expense such as tires as a part of owning that entirely leisure related item? Perhaps a better analogy is its like going out for Kobe beef for $350 and being concerned about the cost of a $12 drink or appetizer, or the fact that the valet costs $5. If you were worried about the cost of such details, you shouldn't be, or wouldn't be, going out for Kobe beef.

Sports cars have expensive tires. Don't want to buy expensive tires? Don't buy a sports car. If the cost of tires deters you from buying a sports car, it would have been wasted on you anyways.

Read the responses.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-23-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Michelin may be charging the prices they do because of the quality that goes into the tire. They are continually rated ontop, and that can easily be due to the cost of a higher standard (materials, testing, design, etc.). I don't think they come up with a high price just because they feel they can get away with it.
Btw, my dad's newish Hyundai Santa Fe came with fancy Continental tires. They ended up being the worst tires we've ever had. After about 21k miles (with plenty of tread left), they hummed and sang so loud we had to have the car inspected by the dealer several times to make sure there wasn't a bearing or other problem. A quick look in some Hyundai forums confirmed similar experiences. We were surprised a modern company such as Continental could not figure a way to make a tire that didn't make a vehicle sound like it was falling apart. The minute he bought new tires (Michelins), it was a whisper quiet ride.

Can't speak for all the Continentals, but in my experience, the Contipro Contacts, IMO, are excellent...as god as equivalent Michelins. Consumer Reports ranks them quite high, too.

One thing I'd like to see ALL tire companies do, though, is make the tread-block areas from thicker rubber, so that they are not so easily punctured by nails and screws. It's annoying to have to deal with getting plugs and/or patches so often. Also, of course, all else equal, the deeper the tread-grooves, the longer they will last, the more they will resist sharp objects getting down into them, and the more water they can displace.
Old 08-23-17, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sports cars have expensive tires. Don't want to buy expensive tires? Don't buy a sports car. If the cost of tires deters you from buying a sports car, it would have been wasted on you anyways.
That's true to an extent, but it is also becoming more and more difficult to avoid relatively large, expensive tires on even inexpensive or entry-level cars to start with. The trend (mostly to satisfy the auto press and enthusiasts) has been to put more and more tire contact-patch on the road, and less and less sidewall.
Old 08-23-17, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's true to an extent, but it is also becoming more and more difficult to avoid relatively large, expensive tires on even inexpensive or entry-level cars to start with. The trend (mostly to satisfy the auto press and enthusiasts) has been to put more and more tire contact-patch on the road, and less and less sidewall.
Tires on mainstream cars are still pretty inexpensive.
Old 08-23-17, 08:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Tires on mainstream cars are still pretty inexpensive.
I thought that woman colleague from a decade ago was pretty smart reseraching tires prior to buying a car. You've expressed you're at the opposite end of that spectrum.

But the one solid she did do me, I would have to admit, without her advice, I'd still have a mortgage today, so in Denzel's words, Each one, Teach one. This was real.

I keep getting emails from a Lexus dealer and it's part of the network that got slammed by the two US Senators last year....I get it, one email a day, but 3? lol
Old 08-23-17, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I thought that woman colleague from a decade ago was pretty smart reseraching tires prior to buying a car. You've expressed you're at the opposite end of that spectrum.
Its not bad advice at all, if somebody is buying a car as a tool or appliance which is what I said. If you're buying a Camry or a mainstream car, or even a Lexus then sure, thats good advice. Some cars may have different size tires that are really expensive, you might want to look into that before you buy a certain trim or package.

What I think is silly is applying that advice to buying an expensive sports car. By its very nature that is not a practical or pragmatic purchase, and like I said if the cost of tires are going to dissuade you, then the car would have been a waste of money for you in general.

For instance, my LS460 has the 18s. If you bought the 19s then tires are about $100 a tire more expensive, roughly. Thats a lot, but I didn't buy the 18s because of tire cost, I bought them because I wanted the better ride they give. Had I avoided 19" wheels on an $80,000 luxury sedan because of higher tire costs, and the attributes those wheels gave the car would have made it more enjoyable for me had I selected them, then doing so would have been silly IMO.

But the one solid she did do me, I would have to admit, without her advice, I'd still have a mortgage today, so in Denzel's words, Each one, Teach one. This was real.
I have no interest in having a paid off mortgage, but thats another subject.

Here's a question, you worked hard and sacrificed to have a paid off house right? I know you have said on here that you would love to have a 911, but you deny yourself that because the cost "doesn't fit". What was the purpose of working hard to pay off your house quickly if you continue to deny yourself things and experiences that you want and could have without financially damaging yourself and your family? I don't see the point. If I'm going to live my life like I don't have the money to have and do what I want, I may as well have taken some 9-5 job where I wouldn't have the money, but would have all the time and effort back I've put into becoming what I am...which is considerable.

At the end of our lives, we're both going to be in the same graveyard. Does it really matter if your house is paid off and you have a ton of money sitting there that gets divided up amongst your heirs? I'm going to enjoy my life and what I've worked for...while I'm alive.

I keep getting emails from a Lexus dealer and it's part of the network that got slammed by the two US Senators last year....I get it, one email a day, but 3? lol
People out there trying to make a living. They paid for the lead they got out of you, they're trying to extract value from it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-23-17 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 08:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Its not bad advice at all, if somebody is buying a car as a tool or appliance which is what I said. If you're buying a Camry or a mainstream car, or even a Lexus then sure, thats good advice. Some cars may have different size tires that are really expensive, you might want to look into that before you buy a certain trim or package.

What I think is silly is applying that advice to buying an expensive sports car. By its very nature that is not a practical or pragmatic purchase, and like I said if the cost of tires are going to dissuade you, then the car would have been a waste of money for you in general.

For instance, my LS460 has the 18s. If you bought the 19s then tires are about $100 a tire more expensive, roughly. Thats a lot, but I didn't buy the 18s because of tire cost, I bought them because I wanted the better ride they give. Had I avoided 19" wheels on an $80,000 luxury sedan because of higher tire costs, and the attributes those wheels gave the car would have made it more enjoyable for me had I selected them, then doing so would have been silly IMO.

I have no interest in having a paid off mortgage, but thats another subject.

Here's a question, you worked hard and sacrificed to have a paid off house right? I know you have said on here that you would love to have a 911, but you deny yourself that because the cost "doesn't fit". What was the purpose of working hard to pay off your house quickly if you continue to deny yourself things and experiences that you want and could have without financially damaging yourself and your family? I don't see the point. If I'm going to live my life like I don't have the money to have and do what I want, I may as well have taken some 9-5 job where I wouldn't have the money, but would have all the time and effort back I've put into becoming what I am...which is considerable.

At the end of our lives, we're both going to be in the same graveyard. Does it really matter if your house is paid off and you have a ton of money sitting there that gets divided up amongst your heirs? I'm going to enjoy my life and what I've worked for...while I'm alive.

People out there trying to make a living. They paid for the lead they got out of you, they're trying to extract value from it.
I can see we differ not only fundamentally--keep in mind, the last vehicle I purchased was in the $14k range.

Hate to consider the graveyard, but I've been taught, assets go three places at that point. Heirs, charity, and the IRS. The name of the game is to minimize what goes to the IRS, and maximize what goes to heirs and charity. The more I have in the end, the more that can go to charity and my son (don't believe we're going to have more). The 911 needs to fit in with my needs profile--it isn't something I need, but it would be nice to have. I have purchased a Porsche new in the past, and that was unlike BMW/Audi/Lexus etc., imho another level. It was beyond, and I would love to do it again. I'm still glad they invite me to their events and as mentioned I got to drive the 997's with professional instructors gratis. I just think that to be in a place where you could care less about prices, has nothing to do with wealth, it has to do with values. My cousin just put 4 brakes on his M5, and he told me they were costly. He said they were Zimmermans and $175 per rotor. I could swing them, but they are expensive. I got the Centrics for $29.80 each for the LS430. You, oddly, also got Centrics on the 460, why did you not get OE, they're still under $100, more inexpensive than tires.
Old 08-23-17, 09:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I personally know a billionaire who was displeased his iPad was over $1,200, it seemed like a lot to him for an iPad.
the billionaire then seems to have issues. at 0.00012% of a billion, the ipad is a rather trivial thing, no? some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

I disagree that a person should not know how much or what tires are on a vehicle, but to each his own.
some things are pretty self-evident... sports car, run flat, or extra wide/tall tires are expensive. don't like it, get a different vehicle or trim level.

edit: I know someone who went on a trip, and when the trip (lasted 2 1/2 wks) was done, his cell bill was over $18,000. Live large baby!
all irrelevant today since cell providers have flat daily rates to use one's current plan wherever. in europe with verizon for example, it's $10/day. hardly a problem.

If I were going to buy a Corvette or a 911 or a Ferrari or some other expensive sports car that I was buying as a luxury purchase and for the joy of having such a car, the last thing I would be worried about is the cost of tires, is my point.

But I have a client in Kenya right now I'm paying $2 a minute to talk to...but I need to talk to him. Am I worried about it? No...its a cost of doing business. Talked to him for 30 minutes this morning.
google voice to kenya is ~20c a minute. or what's app, skype, etc. - free
Old 08-23-17, 09:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the billionaire then seems to have issues. at 0.00012% of a billion, the ipad is a rather trivial thing, no? some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

some things are pretty self-evident... sports car, run flat, or extra wide/tall tires are expensive. don't like it, get a different vehicle or trim level.

all irrelevant today since cell providers have flat daily rates to use one's current plan wherever. in europe with verizon for example, it's $10/day. hardly a problem.

google voice to kenya is ~20c a minute. or what's app, skype, etc. - free
lol Verizon wireless does not have roaming agreements with Kenya and Tanzania, and it's $2.99/min. They do have roaming agreements in South Africa. Care to check, I'll bet you $100, paypal, ready, set, go!

Teach one, each one!

What do you mean google voice to Kenya? How about Kenya, while you are there, to the USA? Think outside the box....
Old 08-23-17, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hate to consider the graveyard, but I've been taught, assets go three places at that point. Heirs, charity, and the IRS. The name of the game is to minimize what goes to the IRS, and maximize what goes to heirs and charity. The more I have in the end, the more that can go to charity and my son (don't believe we're going to have more).
But I'd be dead. So what do I care? I'm not working my butt of in my life to provide money to charity after I'm dead. My kids, well...I'm going to raise them up, put them through school. Help them out however I can, help them buy their first homes, etc. Hopefully when I'm gone they're adults with families and careers of their own. If my kids are sitting around waiting for some inheritance from us we haven't done our job as parents. Whatever they get as inheritance will be a bonus. Thats how I've lived my life. My dad is gone, but my Mom is still alive. I have no idea what will be left for me when she's gone, nor do I care. I just want her to live as long a life as she can, if she wants to spend every dime...then I want her to spend every dime.

If I were to die before they are grown, I've prepared for that possibility as well through life insurance, etc. If I've covered all of those bases, why wouldn't I enjoy my money now while I'm alive?

The 911 needs to fit in with my needs profile--it isn't something I need, but it would be nice to have. I have purchased a Porsche new in the past, and that was unlike BMW/Audi/Lexus etc., imho another level. It was beyond, and I would love to do it again.[/quote]

Its never something you need. If all I had was what I "need" I'd have a lot less. Again, I could have what I "need" with a lot less work and sacrifice.

If you have a paid off home and presumably the income to support it without hurting your family, you should get your Porsche. Life is short.

I got the Centrics for $29.80 each for the LS430. You, oddly, also got Centrics on the 460, why did you not get OE, they're still under $100, more inexpensive than tires.
I got the Centrics because they were better rotors than the OE. The whole point was the OE rotors are prone to warpage. I bought what everybody else was buying and having success with, I didn't even look at what they cost.

Weren't you the one who cheaped out on getting the Centric Premium rotors and complained about rusty rotor hats when the Premiums have treated and painted hats? Perfect example...you have ugly rusty rotor hats that obviously bother you...but you have that $60!

I just think its silly, sorry. The desire to amass this big pile of money that you're never going to do anything with makes no sense to me. Its just paper if you're never going to use it.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
google voice to kenya is ~20c a minute. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] or what's app, skype, etc. - free
Assuming you have somebody on the other end who can figure all of that out lol
Old 08-23-17, 09:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

But I'd be dead. So what do I care? I'm not working my butt of in my life to provide money to charity after I'm dead. My kids, well...I'm going to raise them up, put them through school. Help them out however I can, help them buy their first homes, etc. Hopefully when I'm gone they're adults with families and careers of their own. If my kids are sitting around waiting for some inheritance from us we haven't done our job as parents. Whatever they get as inheritance will be a bonus. Thats how I've lived my life. My dad is gone, but my Mom is still alive. I have no idea what will be left for me when she's gone, nor do I care. I just want her to live as long a life as she can, if she wants to spend every dime...then I want her to spend every dime.

If I were to die before they are grown, I've prepared for that possibility as well through life insurance, etc. If I've covered all of those bases, why wouldn't I enjoy my money now while I'm alive?

The 911 needs to fit in with my needs profile--it isn't something I need, but it would be nice to have. I have purchased a Porsche new in the past, and that was unlike BMW/Audi/Lexus etc., imho another level. It was beyond, and I would love to do it again.
Its never something you need. If all I had was what I "need" I'd have a lot less. Again, I could have what I "need" with a lot less work and sacrifice.

If you have a paid off home and presumably the income to support it without hurting your family, you should get your Porsche. Life is short.

I got the Centrics because they were better rotors than the OE. The whole point was the OE rotors are prone to warpage. I bought what everybody else was buying and having success with, I didn't even look at what they cost.

Weren't you the one who cheaped out on getting the Centric Premium rotors and complained about rusty rotor hats when the Premiums have treated and painted hats? Perfect example...you have ugly rusty rotor hats that obviously bother you...but you have that $60!

I just think its silly, sorry. The desire to amass this big pile of money that you're never going to do anything with makes no sense to me. Its just paper if you're never going to use it.

Assuming you have somebody on the other end who can figure all of that out lol[/QUOTE]

Think I gotcha. You put $29 rotors on your car, a LS460, but weren't concerned about the cost? Meaning, you didn't realize they are 1/4 the cost of OE? haha

My thing was OE are superior, I know, but $93 plus shipping, vs. $28.xx free shipping. Have a look:

Amazon Amazon

As soon as I took them out of the box, I thought, this may have been a case where the $93+ would have been a better play. My rusted hats came with the car, I bought it used. At the end of the day the Centrics are so cheap, that if necessary, I could take them back off and get OE, again, like an impulsive eating out, you can't win them all. But it's interesting to think Centrics are superior to OE, what planet are we on? I was hoping for superior value.

Back to the no haggle, I think it would work for some on this thread where they're not that overly concerned with price.
Old 08-23-17, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My Centrics weren't that cheap. I think they were $70-80 each. Much better quality than OE. I didn't even price OE because that's what warped in 20k miles. I have Centric premium rotors and Centric position-quiet ceramic pads and my braking is much better than stock, even when it was brand new. No rust because the premium rotors are treated and painted.

It's not about buying the most expensive thing because it must be the best. It's about not having to worry about the cost differences between products if the more expensive product is actually the best. Take tires, I picked the best tires for my needs. They were considerably cheaper than other tires that aren't as well rated. I bought what was better, not what was the cheapest or most expensive. I would have bought the same tires if they were $100 more each.
Old 08-23-17, 10:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

None of this has anything to do with the topic of this thread, or did I miss something?

Quick Reply: Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs