Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 09:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

To those that love to haggle, they're 'pleased' knowing they got a deal better than most other people, so they feel their haggling was 'worth it'.
with margins on cars, some end up paying too much, and others end up haggling the deal down to the minimum the dealer will accept, which of course varies by dealer, time of month, year, how things are going, inventory levels, etc. if the spread between 'paid too much' and 'bare minimum' is say 10% of the price, then if a no haggle price were 5% under msrp (assuming symmetrical distribution) the dealer might make the same revenue, assuming they gained as many sales as they lost to people who couldn't stand not haggling. However, they might do more sales because a) the transactions ought to be completed a lot more quickly, and b) i submit there's way more people who would love to not to feel they have to haggle, vs those who expect to and enjoy it even.

so i don't see an obvious answer to all this. I for one HATE the song and dance at the dealer and knowing i have to haggle, because they by default want to make more margin for a commodity than is reasonable.
Old 05-19-17, 09:22 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Because you're basically asking the fox to guard the hen house, and having to make a leap of faith that the fox has turned over a new leaf and can suddenly be replied upon...
Well, we already know from the pilot program that such is not the case for many people - and I'd think that even if distrust cannot be cured for some people, then offering a system wherein new car buyers never have to be exposed to a distrustful system is the next best solution.

And IMO, new and younger car buyers are what is fueling the shift in buyer dynamic anyway. As it has with many other systems, technology is what has influenced change here. Car forums like this provide much more insight into how car dealers operate, and car buying websites and agencies now provide up-to-date information on what prices certain models are selling for in their geographic areas. I read an article once that interviewed a dealer manager (IIRC Cadillac) complaining about how the transparency gained from car info websites was severely cutting into margins. Once again, this is how dealerships operate. They want things to be as opaque as possible so that consumers cannot understand the relationship between prices and costs so that they can fool the customers into thinking they get a "deal". Technology is what's influencing the shift because dealers can't as effectively manipulate buyer emotions like they did in the past, and I think it's going to influence dealers to be more receptive of no-haggle sales systems.

Anyway - time will tell. If more dealers come on board AND Lexus sales volume doesn't drop then maybe you are right.
I think the biggest takeaway from the pilot program so far is that (at least at one dealership) sales increased while margins stayed the same.
Old 05-19-17, 09:30 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
However, they might do more sales because a) the transactions ought to be completed a lot more quickly, and b) i submit there's way more people who would love to not to feel they have to haggle, vs those who expect to and enjoy it even.
Just to note that a) was mentioned in the article I linked to above - one of the dealership owners was attracted to the no-haggle system because it would cut transaction time in half. That's another win for both the dealer and the customer.

And yes, I think it's quite clear from Lexus exec statements and various other sources that Lexus believes they will gain far more customers with a no-haggle system than they will lose.
Old 05-19-17, 09:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
And IMO, new and younger car buyers are what is fueling the shift in buyer dynamic anyway. As it has with many other systems, technology is what has influenced change here. Car forums like this provide much more insight into how car dealers operate, and car buying websites and agencies now provide up-to-date information on what prices certain models are selling for in their geographic areas. I read an article once that interviewed a dealer manager (IIRC Cadillac) complaining about how the transparency gained from car info websites was severely cutting into margins. Once again, this is how dealerships operate. They want things to be as opaque as possible so that consumers cannot understand the relationship between prices and costs so that they can fool the customers into thinking they get a "deal". Technology is what's influencing the shift because dealers can't as effectively manipulate buyer emotions like they did in the past, and I think it's going to influence dealers to be more receptive of no-haggle sales systems.
The obvious flip-side of that, though, is that, if dealers DON'T make adequate margins, they won't have the funds to provide all of the perks and programs that their customers want.....coffee/latte machines, play areas for the kiddies, Internet access, car-washes, etc.....

So, if one wants that nice new car at the absolute lowest price (yes, even by excessive haggling), then be prepared to (maybe) give something up for it. The world is not always a free lunch.
Old 05-19-17, 09:46 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The obvious flip-side of that, though, is that, if dealers DON'T make adequate margins, they won't have the funds to provide all of the perks and programs that their customers want.....coffee/latte machines, play areas for the kiddies, Internet access, car-washes, etc.....
Those amenities are primarily for service customers and are primarily funded by the service department, which by far contributes more to revenue and operating income than sales.
Old 05-19-17, 09:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

I don't "love" to haggle, just want to know that I'm not being taken advantage of, and that I'm getting a good deal.
Old 05-19-17, 10:00 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 686 Likes on 430 Posts

Lexus.com can point you to only 10 dealers who operate Lexus plus (https://www.lexus.com/lexusplus/), and one of those, in Bellvue WA so an affluent area with competition, has an RX with broadly the same spec as my wife's car.

They want $55,744 as their Lexus Plus upfront price on an RX which has an MSRP of $58,319.

I paid $50,400 for my wife's car, which had an MSRP of around $57,500. For now, I'm sticking with my own methods
Old 05-19-17, 10:21 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus.com can point you to only 10 dealers who operate Lexus plus (https://www.lexus.com/lexusplus/), and one of those, in Bellvue WA so an affluent area with competition, has an RX with broadly the same spec as my wife's car.

They want $55,744 as their Lexus Plus upfront price on an RX which has an MSRP of $58,319.

I paid $50,400 for my wife's car, which had an MSRP of around $57,500. For now, I'm sticking with my own methods
I thought there were 13 dealers in the program?

What's interesting is that Lexus of Bellevue is owned by O'Brien Automotive Group, which also owns Lexus of Tacoma down the road - but is not in the Lexus Plus program. The only competing dealer in the area - Lexus of Seattle - is owned by Kuni, which also owns Lexus of Greenwood Village (Colorado) which is in the Lexus Plus program.

In any case, the question being posed in this thread is what the system will be like when Lexus switches completely to a no-haggle system. Lexus Plus is not that system, as it is intended (and even marketed) specifically to co-exist with competing Lexus dealerships that haggle.
Old 05-20-17, 05:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Something tells me that this can't be true. The invoice for the RX is not that low off $57.5K Did you have a trade?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-20-17 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 06:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Something tells me that is can't be true. The invoice for the RX is not that low off $57.5K Did you have a trade?
The invoice is about $5k off of $57.5K and then beyond that there are incentives, bonus cash, and holdback.

How do you think it's possible to get 20% off of an LS460 right now? Invoice isn't 20% off.
Old 05-20-17, 06:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, we already know from the pilot program that such is not the case for many people - and I'd think that even if distrust cannot be cured for some people, then offering a system wherein new car buyers never have to be exposed to a distrustful system is the next best solution.

I think the biggest takeaway from the pilot program so far is that (at least at one dealership) sales increased while margins stayed the same.
Seems like you have a really good understanding of this system and the car industry in general. Very interesting to read your posts.
Old 05-20-17, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

How do you think it's possible to get 20% off of an LS460 right now? Invoice isn't 20% off.
Probably because of SUV sales. Dealerships are trying to get rid of sedans that just aren't selling.
Old 05-20-17, 08:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Local dealers are not going to give away a RX SUV for $5000 less than a no haggle delaer who is giving it for $5000 more. This is just rediculous and stupid on both dealers.

I am sorry, but I simply do not believe a Lexus delaer is willing to give $7000 off the MSRP of a new Lexus RX. Prove to me otherwise and I will believe it.
Old 05-20-17, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably because of SUV sales. Dealerships are trying to get rid of sedans that just aren't selling.
You miss my point. The point is that deal is possible even though it's dramatically below invoice. Lexus has a lot of dealer cash on the LS because it's so late in the run. I've seen rebates as high as $8,000. I got $10k off my LS460 in 2015, there was I believe a $2,000 rebate at that time.

And yes I can buy an RX for $5k off MSRP with zero effort. Literally one phone call. $7,000 with effort I believe if there's a rebate, which is very common on these vehicles. Whether you believe that or not Jill is meaningless lol. The RX is not hot, they sell well but they are incentivized, and dealers have plenty of stock. It's not a Range Rover.

Why do we care if it's "stupid" for the dealer? The dealer is your adversary.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-20-17 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 09:16 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

But they don't do it now! We know that because not every car at dealers comes full of dealer options. As I mentioned, only the three GS-F had undergone the full dealer option BS treatment. No other car I looked at in the showroom had all those dealer options added. Some had absolutely none, and most that did only had the rear bumper applique.

Even today, typically the dealer will try to get you to add the window tint, clear bra, platinum warranties, wheel/tire warranties, etc. after the customer decides to buy the car. They don't normally lump these things in just to inflate the sticker and increase room for negotiation.
I was just at the dealer this morning and almost all of the cars I looked at had dealer add-ons including the front clear bra but I know it varies from dealer to dealer. At least none of them had pinstriping like some dealers have. All of the Toyota and Honda dealers around me have pinstriping added to the car which I hate but when shopping for a car for my father, we couldn't buy one without them.

Just to be clear - Lexus' intended sales system is a no-haggle system, not a one-price system.
Right, I misspoke as did one person that was quoted in one of the LexusPlus articles I read did as well.

Quick Reply: Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs