Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove a new 2018 Honda Odyssey today! Thoughts vs Sedona and Pacifica

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i need to think of ways to turn that into reasons why people should still buy the sienna lol
AWD.....it's the only American-market minivan with it. But, admittedly, not everyone needs or wants that feature.
Old 05-26-17, 07:39 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I really enjoy driving the '16 Accord I leased for my cousin when we visit her on weekends. I even forget it has a CVT when I'm driving it. It is the lowest level trim (LX) but it is nicely finished and has Apple and Android Carplay. The only thing I hate is all the piano black plastic. It is a dust and smudge magnet. Assuming the Odyssey you are considering doesn't have much of that?
Old 05-26-17, 09:50 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
AWD.....it's the only American-market minivan with it. But, admittedly, not everyone needs or wants that feature.
well yea that's always a genuinely great selling point for the sienna... thing also turns on a dime and is actually very nice to drive and can be very well equipped so i'm curious how the honda could blow it away
Old 05-27-17, 05:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

haven't really experienced the new odyssey so i can neither confirm nor deny, but care to go into more details? i need to think of ways to turn that into reasons why people should still buy the sienna lol
The Sienna is just ancient, shame on Toyota for refreshing it a second time. The Odyssey is cheaper, much nicer to drive, better technology, better adaptability inside, bigger. Pacifica is all of those things also.

I don't see any reason to even test drive the Sienna, and we don't plan to.
Old 05-27-17, 07:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

i need to think of ways to turn that into reasons why people should still buy the sienna lol
why are you trying to sell the sienna? do you own one?
Old 05-27-17, 07:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Sienna is just ancient, shame on Toyota for refreshing it a second time. The Odyssey is cheaper, much nicer to drive, better technology, better adaptability inside, bigger. Pacifica is all of those things also.

I don't see any reason to even test drive the Sienna, and we don't plan to.
You haven't driven the Sienna, yet the Odyssey is "much nicer to drive". Interesting... now I don't doubt it considering the Odyssey is a far newer design, but hard to say that without even driving it.
Old 05-27-17, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why are you trying to sell the sienna? do you own one?
He sells Toyotas lol

Originally Posted by hypervish
You haven't driven the Sienna, yet the Odyssey is "much nicer to drive". Interesting... now I don't doubt it considering the Odyssey is a far newer design, but hard to say that without even driving it.
I have driven the Sienna, several of them. I bought a Minivan 2 years ago and extensively shopped the Sienna. The Sienna is the same van as it was then, no reason to drive it again now.

Back then they were all pretty similar in terms of drive. But the newest crop, the Pacifica and Odyssey feel much more premium and refined than my Sedona or the Sienna.
Old 05-27-17, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

of course by the time your lease is almost up, a new sedona will be available or near.
Old 05-27-17, 07:51 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I have driven the Sienna, several of them. I bought a Minivan 2 years ago and extensively shopped the Sienna. The Sienna is the same van as it was then, no reason to drive it again now.

Back then they were all pretty similar in terms of drive. But the newest crop, the Pacifica and Odyssey feel much more premium and refined than my Sedona or the Sienna.
Ahh, makes sense!
Old 05-27-17, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

He sells Toyotas lol
I'm beginning to believe it.

The AWD, of course, IS a good selling point. But I think you have made it clear that you don't want or need it.....just like I turned down some of the features on the Lacrosse Essence and Premium versions when I ordered my less-expensive Preferred version.
Old 05-27-17, 09:11 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

He sells Toyotas lol

I know you hate the sienna but your facts didn't checkout.

for 2017 the sienna get the New engine and 8 speeds auto. 3.5L v6 295 hp with both port and DI. So I think this is not the same old one, eh?
Old 05-27-17, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

for 2017 the sienna get the New engine and 8 speeds auto. 3.5L v6 295 hp with both port and DI. So I think this is not the same old one, eh?
I think he was arguing that the chassis dates back to 2010. But yes the 2017+ got the revised 2GR-FKS with D4-S and DI, as well as the 8AT. 2015 was the first real mid-cycle facelift, and 2018 is simply a second mild mid-cycle lift. This includes a new grill, headlights, side skirts, some NVH measures, extra USB ports, and updated semi-digital instrument cluster.
Old 05-27-17, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course by the time your lease is almost up, a new sedona will be available or near.
Could be, I would buy another one if they addressed access to the third row and improved the refinement a little. I don't think one is that close though.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm beginning to believe it.
Nothing to believe, he really does sell Toyotas for a living.

The AWD, of course, IS a good selling point
I don't think its that big a selling point in the segment. Honda for instance could have easily made the Odyssey AWD, its based off the Pilot. Why didn't they?

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

I don't hate the Sienna, its a minivan I don't love or hate any of them, its just a tool. The Sienna as Hoovey said dates back to 2010, its old and with brand new platform vehicles out like the Pacifica, Odyssey and even the Sedona which is much newer it feels really old.

The engine being updated does nothing for me. I had no issue with the old 3.5, the Sienna just isn't as refined or premium feeling to drive as the Odyssey or Pacifica, its less efficient inside, the technology is behind because its so old. I chose the Sedona over the Sienna in 2015, why would I all of a sudden choose the same Sienna over the Sedona now? I'd choose the Sedona again...but the Odyssey and Pacifica at this point I would choose over the Sedona.
Old 05-27-17, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think its that big a selling point in the segment. Honda for instance could have easily made the Odyssey AWD, its based off the Pilot. Why didn't they?
You'd have to ask the engineers and designers, but my guess is that the added AWD hardware and drive shafts might (?) have interfered with the way the rear seats fold. True, it shares a platform with the Pilot (and both ultimately come from the Accord)....but the Pilot sits higher off the ground and has more room underneath for AWD hardware.
Old 05-27-17, 01:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I lucked out and stopped by a Honda dealer right after their demo Odyssey was delivered and got to spend some time with it and take it for a drive. Didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with it (there was literally a line to drive it), but did want to post my thoughts relative to the Sedona which I have and compared to the Pacifica which I am considering.

The one I drove was an EX-L with navigation and rear seat entertainment. So this model has radar cruise, lane keep, blind spot monitoring, navigation, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, leather seats, heated seats but lacks cooled seats, the vacuum, kick operated hatch and doors, LED headlights, which are available spread throughout the upper two trims, Touring and Elite. Its 99% an SX-L Sedona (lacks cooled seats and HID headlights). Sticker was $40,500 which I thought was very reasonable. This model does NOT have the new 10 speed auto. Its a fairly big jump to the Touring, about $4,500. That gets you LED headlights, foglights, the vacuum, foot operated hatch and sliding doors, CabinWatch, CabinTalk, different 18" wheels, the 10 speed auto. The Elite is another $2,500 and that gives you cooled seats, upgraded audio, 19" wheels, rain sensing wipers, LED cabin accent lighting. So $45,000 for the Touring and $47,500 for the Elite. Loaded Pacifica is $49,500. Transaction price will be much lower though.

Styling:

Van is better looking in person, doesn't look as "weird" as it did in some pictures. Good paint quality and build quality which you would expect. I would say better looking than the Pacifica, not as good looking as the Sedona. So, 1. Sedona, 2. Odyssey, 3. Pacifica.

Interior:

Overall finish is not to the level of the Sedona, but comparable to the Pacifica. The Sedona has better materials, better leathers, gloss trim where there is plastic trim in the Odyssey. The Odyssey is more utilitarian than both. Comfort is very good, seats are excellent. Instrumentation is all digital, no analog speedo or tach which I don't prefer but my wife will like. Honda's infotainment system is EXCELLENT. Very snappy, great touchscreen and smooth sliding access to apps. Huge upgrade from the Sedona, significant upgrade from the Pacifica. Honda uses Garmin nav too now but the interface is different than Chryslers. This model didn't have CabinWatch or CabinTalk to test. The magic slide seat is great, getting into the rear is still a little annoying, but vastly improved over the Sedona. Third row seats stow much more elegantly and smoothly than in the Sedona. No stow and go in the second row like the Pacifica, isn't an issue for us but could be for others.

It has a ton of little cubbies and storage, USB ports everywhere. Onboard WiFi where passengers can control HVAC and infotainment and rear seat entertainment from their phones. Very cool. The rear seat entertainment will simply mirror an iPhone or iPad which is ideal for us. Big spot in the console for my wife's purse like the Pacifica.

The interior, while not as "luxurious" as the Sedona for sure, is more practical and utilitarian. Big upgrade from the old Odyssey. Lack of rear seat entertainment is almost a disqualified for the Sedona nowadays. As a "quality car" I would rate the interiors 1. Sedona, 2. Pacifica, 3. Odyssey, but from a utility standpoint as "a van" I would rate them 1. Odyssey, 2. Pacifica, 3. Sedona.

Ride and Drive:

Was really impressed with the ride and drive. I would say it rides better and is slightly quieter than the Pacifica, which is considerably better riding and quieter than the Sedona. Body motions are controlled, and 18" wheels have good sidewall hight and deliver a great ride. Very quiet, no wind or road noise, on the highway briefly up to 75, I would say it was pretty darn close to as quiet as my Lexus. HUGE upgrade over the Sedona in this department, and it will be a much more comfortable and enjoyable to drive vehicle on trips. Has a brake hold feature like the Lexus which I love (vehicle will hold the brake at a stoplight so you don't have to leave your foot on it, feature is absent in the Sedona and Pacifica.

Honda puts the BSM indicators inside the cabin as opposed to on the mirrors, which is where I've always had them which is a huge adjustment for us.

Overall, very impressed and all things being equal, I would certainly choose the Odyssey over the Pacifica or Odyssey. However...the real test will be deals. Like I said, there was a line to drive this van. They got three in right after I left, another EX-L, a Touring, and an Elite, I'm sure all will be gone. We have time, so we'll see what the landscape looks like in 9 months. I'd pay some extra for the Odyssey over the Pacifica, but as to how much I don't know. Would I buy another Sedona with these two competitors? Probably not honestly. Its been a great vehicle, but it lacks some convenience areas for us which I've mentioned the big one is third row seat access, rear seat entertainment and as a vehicle ride comfort and sound isolation.

Toyota...DOA...why in the world they chose to refresh the Sienna vs an all new Sienna is beyond me. We don't plan on even test driving a Sienna.
There will be no deals to be had for many months on the Odyssey--even 9 months from now, I'd be surprised.

Quick Reply: Test drove a new 2018 Honda Odyssey today! Thoughts vs Sedona and Pacifica