Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got my CX-5!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17 | 07:29 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Yes, lots of back-and-forth on the CX-5 forums re: the new wheels vs. the old ones. I like them. They aren't nearly as horrendous as the new Honda wheels.

BTW, the wheels look small in pics because there is black body-side cladding around the wheel wheels so that makes the gap look enormous. In person, they fill out the wheel wells very nicely. My GT has 19" wheels. Thanks, and check it out!
Old 05-26-17 | 08:17 PM
pman6
Racer

i wish they would stop using black plastic cladding.

looks like these need 26" wheels.
Old 05-27-17 | 04:42 AM
TripleL
No Substitute
CL Folding 1M

Congrats. Looking good enjoy it!
Old 05-27-17 | 05:51 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, lots of back-and-forth on the CX-5 forums re: the new wheels vs. the old ones. I like them. They aren't nearly as horrendous as the new Honda wheels.

BTW, the wheels look small in pics because there is black body-side cladding around the wheel wheels so that makes the gap look enormous. In person, they fill out the wheel wells very nicely. My GT has 19" wheels. Thanks, and check it out!
yeah, I've only seen pics of them so far
im hoping seeing it in person, will make me look at them differently. Lol

btw: which Mazda forum is the one to use ?
seems like there are a few...

Last edited by 96SC4; 05-27-17 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-27-17 | 06:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

The last Mazda I test drove was a Miata for a $50 gift card, more than 10 yrs. ago....but always liked this car co. and buddy raves about the 3, has had 3 of them and not one single warranty claim or repair. Also liked that I read how Mazda studied the movement of the human arm to aid on the assembly line? Awesome.

Just went online and saw that the 3 still comes in a stick. Great. Loaded the touring to the gills, 2 packages over $1k each. And the car now has halogen headlamps?

If I or the website am wrong, that would be nice.

edit if I had to guess, based on the top of the line cx 9, the co. is moving to LED. While that's nice for power consumption, unless it's an adaptive system, imho adaptive xenon is better (still consumes less power than halogen)....my .02 (think of the Ford Explorer's LED headlamps, or Corolla)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-27-17 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-27-17 | 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The last Mazda I test drove was a Miata for a $50 gift card, more than 10 yrs. ago....
Ford still does that each year at the D.C. Auto Show (and maybe other major shows as well)?....at least up to now. (I use my card at Starbucks for bags of fresh-ground French Roast). In addition, Lincoln used to offer a $75 card as well. Cadillac and Buick also did several years ago, but just once or twice (little did I know I would end up taking home a new Verano LOL). Lincoln dropped their card-offer this year, but now donates $75, in your name, to your choice of one of six charities.

Part of Mazda's problem (though it is not as bad a problem as, say, Mitsubishi's) is that it simply does not have a particularly well-developed dealer network. Enticing people with gift-card offers is one thing....but one must also have a good dealer network to back it up, so that one does not have to drive all day to find a franchise. Lincoln also sufferers from this, to an extent, since it only sells out of certain selected Ford dealerships, and does not have its own stand-alone network.
Old 05-27-17 | 04:41 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

very cool, congrats!

I know you said you got a deal - but may I ask how much discount off MSRP? just approx.
Old 05-27-17 | 06:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 96SC4
yeah, I've only seen pics of them so far
im hoping seeing it in person, will make me look at them differently. Lol

btw: which Mazda forum is the one to use ?
seems like there are a few...
Mazdas247.com seems to be very active globally. Lots of great info there.
Old 05-27-17 | 06:19 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
very cool, congrats!

I know you said you got a deal - but may I ask how much discount off MSRP? just approx.
They aren't really discounting much off MSRP, but the residual on the lease was 61%, which is pretty good and kept the down payment and payments down.
Old 05-27-17 | 07:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Congrats! Mazda is definitely upping their game.

Weren't you looking at a Q5 or more recently an NX?
Old 05-27-17 | 08:00 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
They aren't really discounting much off MSRP, but the residual on the lease was 61%, which is pretty good and kept the down payment and payments down.
61% residual? How long is the lease?
Old 05-27-17 | 08:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats on the pick up. A well crafted premium interior. It really is too bad Mazda USA does not offer the unlimited mileage warranty that Mazda Canada does.
Old 05-28-17 | 06:19 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats! Mazda is definitely upping their game.

Weren't you looking at a Q5 or more recently an NX?
I never test drove the NX. I like the interior but just don't care for the exterior styling. Updates are taking place for the '18 model, but I can't wait that long.

I looked at the Q5. I'm sure it drives great, but it has the same interior as my A4 and they cheaped out on some of the interior plastics vs. the A4. They currently don't offer the Sport Seats on a Premium Plus model and I hate the standard seats. They are too short and don't offer much support. The CX-5 seats are perfect. Also, the Q5 is close to $300 per month more on a lease based on what I'm seeing in the forums. I love my A4, but it just isn't worth it.

I won't be the one driving the CX-5 most of the time, but I've hijacked the keys since we got it! My A4 is feeling neglected, but I just love the looks and feel of this car!

Last edited by dseag2; 05-28-17 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-28-17 | 06:28 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sulu
61% residual? How long is the lease?
36 months, 10k miles per year.

What that essentially means is that it probably won't be worth buying at the end of the lease because the projected value is high. My A4, on the other hand, with a low 50's residual and only 4800 miles in 8 months will probably be worth a lot more than the projected value. It might be worth buying and keeping or re-selling.
Old 05-29-17 | 04:44 PM
MJG87
Driver

Mazda's have always held their value really well (apart from the RX8), at least in Australia. They are typically higher priced at dealers and more expensive for parts here too. Have only owned one but it was great, still dream of owning an FDRX7 but common sense keeps putting me off it.

Quick Reply: Got my CX-5!