Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The $70,000 car with 4 door question . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-17, 08:10 PM
fscoblete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think I progressed with car buying over the years, put 30% down and financed for 60 mos. on my first car. 50% down and 36 mos. on the 335. 75% down on the 3rd car but fell off the wagon and did 60 mos. But my wife and I split it so we paid it off in 24 mos. Last car the LS430 put 100% down (although it was a 11 y.o. car). I'm not so sure I ever want a car payment again, but realistically, I don't see how I could put more than 50% down on a nice car like say a M2. If I had discipline, what would change is my desire for the M2 (no 100% down, no dice), but I'm only human....it's a tough call. When I'm on the road, getting breakfast at hotels, I see some folks going for cereal or oatmeal over the eggs and sausage. That's discipline. Sometimes hard to apply the same to spending money...
Very well said. It is true, though. Thank you for the analogy- you are spot on!
Old 06-04-17, 09:57 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
sounds like a civic.... just stated by my gf haha

that video reminds me of the RCF when I floor it everytime from a stop, can never get any grip. Too much power for a rwd. I actually almost bought the Yas Marina M4 when shopping. But couldn't pass on getting the 73K RCF for 59k
Yeah, it's not the best sounding car. The M3/4 isn't too heavy, but it's not a lightweight either, and 406 lb-ft of torque makes the rear tires light up too easily. Even your 3900lb RCF with only 389 lb-ft will light up the tires. What rubber does it come with anyway?
Old 06-05-17, 03:01 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
uh, 20 mos?
I wouldn't bother. towards the tail end of the loan you're not paying hardly any interest anyway. I share your annoyance at the existence of the monthly payment though.

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Under $100k, to me, is for the masses. At least compared to the LFA. The LC is the current top Lexus performance car that's attainable is what I mean.
Nothing can be described as "for the masses" when it costs 2x the median annual household income.
Old 06-05-17, 04:55 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Yeah, it's not the best sounding car. The M3/4 isn't too heavy, but it's not a lightweight either, and 406 lb-ft of torque makes the rear tires light up too easily. Even your 3900lb RCF with only 389 lb-ft will light up the tires. What rubber does it come with anyway?
Michelin PSS 275/35/19

1st gear forget traction. Even second gear free spins the rear in a straight line. 305s would be more suitable for the RCF and M3/M4, but it would hurt the mpg rating for the manufacture
Old 06-05-17, 09:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
1st gear forget traction. Even second gear free spins the rear in a straight line.
doesn't your rcf have limited slip diff?
Old 06-05-17, 10:49 AM
Shaummy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not an idiot, I've posted here 18,000 times you don't think I know the difference between an RC-F and an RC350 F Sport? I do lol. The basic interior is the same. The lower doors and dash are hard plastic, as they are in any RC, small nav screen, painted faux metal trim in places. The GS has soft touch plastics in all the areas where the plastic is hard touch in the RC and IS. Yes the seats are great in the RC-F, but the basic interior is the same as any RC, just with some additional trim and stitched areas. I'm glad you're happy with it but it's not for me.

Interior material quality and build quality is a big thing for me. IS, RC, ES, NX, RX in many ways don't do it for me in that department. Even the LX has a lot of hard plastic inside in places. The LC has none, zero. Every material is very high quality.

Lexus advertises the RC too, it just doesn't have the same level of appeal. 99% of people don't know the difference or can't tell between an RC F Sport and an RC-F. I was sitting in a bar with my cousin and an LC ad came on, he immediately goes "wow, what sort of Lexus IS that? It's incredible". Never happened before.

I think they'll sell the LC just fine. I think what we have at play here is a little envy lol
I finally got a chance to see the LC in person at my dealer over the weekend. I agree that it's a sexy piece of exterior styling and for the most part I like the interior except for one thing...the seat inserts and the door panels. Visually that material takes me back to the days of velour seats of the 70's and 80's and it just looks out of place to me. The rest is nicely done. I'm comparing against an RC F-sport if that matters and I agree that there is entirely too much plastic in it, but hey...it's really the wife's car

I know it's not a coupe or a lexus for that matter, but I actually think the interior finishes are better in my Ghibli, there is a lot more leather, including the dash in that car, but it gets a bad rap due to the Chrysler parts bin comments... Those don't bother me a bit actually.

To each their own!

Shaummy
Old 06-05-17, 10:59 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
doesn't your rcf have limited slip diff?
With sufficient torque, the only difference between an open and limited slip diff is how many tires you melt with on a surface with uneven traction. But on a consistent surface, in a straight line, there's no difference.
Old 06-05-17, 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaummy
I
I know it's not a coupe or a lexus for that matter, but I actually think the interior finishes are better in my Ghibli, there is a lot more leather, including the dash in that car, but it gets a bad rap due to the Chrysler parts bin comments... Those don't bother me a bit actually.
I've also sat in and driven the Ghibli, can't say I agree there either. The LCs I saw inside had stitched leather on the full dash also.
Old 06-05-17, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
With sufficient torque, the only difference between an open and limited slip diff is how many tires you melt with on a surface with uneven traction. But on a consistent surface, in a straight line, there's no difference.
Agreed. Most drivers, most of the time, don't need an LSD. It only aids when driving on very slick surfaces or, when you are on a paved dry surface, cornering very aggressively and trying to accelerate out of the corner....and most people shouldn't be driving that aggressively on a public road to start wth.
Old 06-05-17, 12:45 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Automotive vehicles are low tech product on today's standard with very little ROI. Look at what is ROI for various manufacturers. Personally I don't care much about what vehicle I drive. Just like a biggest consumable appliance for a household. Low value depreciating asset a person owns. I have never bought any car on borrowed money..
Old 06-05-17, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
Personally I don't care much about what vehicle I drive. Just like a biggest consumable appliance for a household. Low value depreciating asset a person owns. I have never bought any car on borrowed money..
If that's true, then why do you post on an automotive enthusiasts forum?

Do you also post on websites for your refrigerator and toilet?
Old 06-05-17, 01:27 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

If that's true, then why do you post on an automotive enthusiasts forum?

Do you also post on websites for your refrigerator and toilet?
Are you trying to say, just ordinary Lexus driver is not welcome here? If that is the case, I'll excuse myself from here and go back to Bimmer, Prosche forums to talk about olden days. When I was young I was crazy about anything with cars that is B4 the days of Lexus.I even taught Journeyman mechanic course(automotive electronics) as a volunteer instructor. Now I feel I had enough funs and troubles with cars in general. Driving RX hybrid is enough for me. Getting old is not fun as others say.
Old 06-05-17, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not at all, my point is if you choose to spend your leisure time discussing cars on a car enthusiast forum, cars are clearly not just an appliance to you.
Old 06-05-17, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Are you trying to say, just ordinary Lexus driver is not welcome here? If that is the case, I'll excuse myself from here and go back to Bimmer, Prosche forums to talk about olden days.
Not at all, my point is if you choose to spend your leisure time discussing cars on a car enthusiast forum, cars are clearly not just an appliance to you.
Not only that, Htony, but we all (including me) spend a lot of time here on Car Chat talking about just that...appliance-like vehicles. Not all of us own or drive sports or high-performance cars...or even care to. And, indeed, when one looks at the U.S. sales-figures nationwide (and perhaps also where you are in Alberta?)...it is obvious that vanilla sells (Camry, ES, Corolla, RX, etc...). I myself grew up and learned to drive in the days of the classic American muscle-cars (late 60s)...and, yes, liked them, just like any normal teen-ager back then......but my real heart, even back then, was with big, luxury American luxo-cruisers. Still is, today....almost half a century later. I just ordered one of the most comfortable-riding cruisers today, short of a Lexus LS or Mercedes S550....a Buick Lacrosse. Waiting on delivery.

(For a good snow-car, though, at an inexpensive price......can't beat Subarus)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-17 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 05:11 PM
Shaummy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also sat in and driven the Ghibli, can't say I agree there either. The LCs I saw inside had stitched leather on the full dash also.
The dash was fine on the LC...just didn't like the look of the seat inserts or door panels. Maybe it was the camel color or something...just looked out of place to me, guess I prefer full smooth/regular leather surfaces. Can't deny...it's a beautiful car though.

I know not many like the Ghibli...but it's been a very nice ride for me...and since it's a thread about $70k...that's about what they were going for at the end of the 2016 model year.. the discounting was out of control...almost $25k off MSRP

Quick Reply: The $70,000 car with 4 door question . . .