Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 07:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
But you did not merely express a 'different point of view'; you strongly questioned the existence of an entire established segment of the automotive industry. If your point was in fact that you do not understand the finances and/or enthusiasm of the car tuning industry, I suggest you start with that next time and leave out the rhetoric as that only made you appear ignorant. You will get less blowback that way, make this a more pleasant community, and avoid having to come back and attempt to play victim as you have in your posts above.
Sorry Mr Trump. I'll get back into my corner.
Old 08-01-18, 08:00 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Sorry Mr Trump. I'll get back into my corner.
My friend if you have nothing to add about Supra - please stop posting and taking this thread off topic. We all got your point by now.....
Old 08-01-18, 08:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure if this was posted but this was a release from Toyota UK:
http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-...r-tetsuya-tada

This is from Tada:
I think the new Supra will be the last present from Toyota to those who enjoy hearing the pleasing sound of a pure petrol engine at high revs.
The last hurrah for Toyota sports cars with regular engines. Very sad!

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-01-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 09:12 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

This is from Tada:

There will always other brands for people who want real sports cars.
Old 08-01-18, 09:15 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

This is from Tada:

oh jeez......that means all hybrids or BEVs from hereon.....
Old 08-01-18, 09:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the last wroom you hear from Toyota will actually be BMWs
Old 08-01-18, 12:37 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vladi
So the last wroom you hear from Toyota will actually be BMWs
So true that it's funny and sad at the same time hahahaaaaa.
Old 08-01-18, 02:52 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah, even BMW announced their M cars will be hybrid/electric by 2030.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/07/21/b...ctric-by-2030/
Old 08-01-18, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
There will always other brands for people who want real sports cars.
but 'real sports cars' won't have regular internal combustion engines for much longer.

didn't you know, 'smart people' want to rid the planet of all ICEs as quickly as possible, and given the regulatory landscape (except for what trump has and is attempting to roll back), powers that be have forced auto mfr's hands toward hybrids, plugins, etc.
Old 08-01-18, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i just got back from the uk where is every other car now seems to be bmw audi or mercedes and it got me thinking... why oh why did toyota make the supra a joint project with bmw? i just don't get it. clearly this is going to be mostly bmw with toyota tuning...

i get that it will save toyota a load of money, but what's next, toyota jointly developing a sedan with honda?
Old 08-01-18, 08:03 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i just got back from the uk where is every other car now seems to be bmw audi or mercedes and it got me thinking... why oh why did toyota make the supra a joint project with bmw? i just don't get it. clearly this is going to be mostly bmw with toyota tuning...

i get that it will save toyota a load of money, but what's next, toyota jointly developing a sedan with honda?
It's not surprising and that has mostly been the case even in the past. Just even more so now with Lexus letting its lineup linger without significant updates for what seemed like a decade at a time. That landscape should change, slightly, now that the TNGA is ready and new models should rapidly follow.
Old 08-02-18, 03:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

but 'real sports cars' won't have regular internal combustion engines for much longer.

didn't you know, 'smart people' want to rid the planet of all ICEs as quickly as possible, and given the regulatory landscape (except for what trump has and is attempting to roll back), powers that be have forced auto mfr's hands toward hybrids, plugins, etc.
"for much longer" is very long period of time... 10+ years at least, maybe more... hybrid still has combustion engine inside.

As to why did BMW and Toyota join efforts on low volume low profit vehicle... it is self explanatory.
Old 08-02-18, 06:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
As to why did BMW and Toyota join efforts on low volume low profit vehicle... it is self explanatory.
it may be self-explanatory (save money) but bean counters never factor in a huge 'cost', loss of reputation. the world won't see this as any achievement by toyota at all.
Old 08-02-18, 07:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

it may be self-explanatory (save money) but bean counters never factor in a huge 'cost', loss of reputation. the world won't see this as any achievement by toyota at all.
It all depends on how the Supra performs and the level of autonomy that Toyota has with the BMW hardware. If it can outperform the Z-whatever at a lower price with the same hardware, it can gloat a bit. Then again, the Z-whatever isnt exactly an iconic model to begin with.
Old 08-02-18, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sure, all those "smart people" are just switching pollution sources with electrics they think are so good for the environment. They don't seem to understand that hundreds of millions more cars being charged every single day and night is still going to increase pollution and current electric grids likely can't even handle all that extra usage. Electricity does not come from butterflies flapping their wings or happy feelings.

Sports cars are pretty niche cars these days, I think companies will still offer straight IC engines for them into the future for buyers who want them or will just add a very mild hybrid/KERS systems to satisfy the dimwit politicians/regulators. I don't mind a mild hybrid system, I was talking about full electric or mostly hybrid with a small engine.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra