Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 10:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Toyota has read this thread. Toyota Supra with japan made 3JZ and manual transmission announced for 2022.
https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-supr...kWasowji_Z3CVY

Was that written for April fools day? not quite sure.
Old 04-02-20, 10:22 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It could, maybe. But I have the 3rd of april on my computer, and the article is mentionned to be from yesterday. So could it be a second april fools day ?
Old 04-02-20, 10:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It could, maybe. But I have the 3rd of april on my computer, and the article is mentionned to be from yesterday. So could it be a second april fools day ?
Me too. I have the 3rd...so I was trying to figure that out. Would be very special if Toyota actually did that.
Old 04-03-20, 12:14 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Toyota has read this thread. Toyota Supra with japan made 3JZ and manual transmission announced for 2022.
https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-supr...kWasowji_Z3CVY

did you read that article? 1000hp and AWD? come on that has april fool's all over it... toyota isn't nearly that awesome anymore
Old 04-03-20, 04:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Yes usually with BMW the stated HP # is what the car actually makes at the wheels.
At the crank, Supra is probably around 425-450hp.

With tunes and downpipes these are making over 500hp at the wheels with the old motor.
I know my 2007 is rated 300/300. When Automobile mag tested it on a dyno back in late 2006, they got 340 HP at the wheels. They thought most likely this is a pre-production model, but at the same time, it implies the powertrain is capable of way more than 300/300. I've been out of warranty for what almost 10 years, my cousin said what are you waiting for $1500 gets you 500 HP, even the S63 you want is in the 500's, and $1500 is way cheaper. Intercooler, charge pipe, and fuel pump are upgraded so not simply mapping. But think about how cheap $1500 is for 500 HP. To clarify mine is a N54, not a B58 obviously. imho my turbos are much smaller and I have a true dual.

edit To tell you the truth, I'd probably rather pick up another car like mine used and turn it into 500 HP....I'd rather keep mine stock and know it's pretty reliable.....then play with another car. I'm pretty sure by now they can be bought for $8000-$11000 etc. Play money for a play car....much cheaper to insure too than a LS430 which is not cheap (not sure if driver demographics or loss experience that drives it up).

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-03-20 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 03:57 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
yes. It was. It clearly says “April 1st” as the date of the article.
come on, why would toyota commit money and time to work with bmw, if they had 3jz ready for 2021 year. That would make zero business sense.

Old 04-03-20, 08:14 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I meant to post this sooner but March has been super hectic month lol.

Anyway before this Coronavirus- i went to a Toyota dealer and finally sat in new Supra.
when it first came out, several dealers i went to refused to let me sit in the damn car! Now nobody even cares, it was parked on the side of the showroom not in main area even.

Let me preface below opinions by being an owner of a BRZ which has in my opinion one of the best driving positions of any car in any price range that i have sat in with amazing visibility and headroom.

New Supra is complete opposite! The only recent modern car that has a more horrendous seating position and outward visibility is the Camaro.
Some examples:
1)There is no way to properly get out of the Supra without hitting your head on the headboard above the door.
2)The dash ergonomics are awful. Everything points away from the driver and I wasn’t impressed by materials quality for $57k.
3) The seating position itself is very poor. You are not sitting low enough, there is little to no space inside and forward visibility is nonexistent.
In summary -
This chassis was made by BMW to only be a Roadster.
The coupe is a complete afterthought.

Even if they put a manual and raise it to 500hp - I would still take a pass.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-03-20 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 09:21 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

1)There is no way to properly get out of the Supra without hitting your head on the headboard above the door.
i did that the first time i sat in one haha... yea i wasn't too impressed
Old 04-03-20, 10:09 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I meant to post this sooner but March has been super hectic month lol.

Anyway before this Coronavirus- i went to a Toyota dealer and finally sat in new Supra.
when it first came out, several dealers i went to refused to let me sit in the damn car! Now nobody even cares, it was parked on the side of the showroom not in main area even.

Let me preface below opinions by being an owner of a BRZ which has in my opinion one of the best driving positions of any car in any price range that i have sat in with amazing visibility and headroom.

New Supra is complete opposite! The only recent modern car that has a more horrendous seating position and outward visibility is the Camaro.
Some examples:
2)The dash ergonomics are awful. Everything points away from the driver and I wasn’t impressed by materials quality for $57k.
3) The seating position itself is very poor. You are not sitting low enough, there is little to no space inside and forward visibility is nonexistent.
In summary -
This chassis was made by BMW to only be a Roadster.
The coupe is a complete afterthought.

Even if they put a manual and raise it to 500hp - I would still take a pass.
So u didn't drive it?

1) Ingress/egress is fine for me 5'9", and I even have aftermarket seats.
2)Ergonomics very German, but I have a HUD so don't look down much.
3) I'm perfectly fine with seating (they are 9 way adjustable). Outward visibility is fine for me again even slumped in position. The only thing I don't like being shorter is the a-pillar view to the sides, because the large mirrors obstruct it on 90 degree turns.

I've not heard of much complaints from other owners, but different strokes for different folks...still living mine and hope to bump it up to 600-700whp soon.

Last edited by ST430; 04-03-20 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 06:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i did that the first time i sat in one haha... yea i wasn't too impressed
As mentioned I saw one at Lowe's 2 weeks ago and the guy didn't even park it far away, like I did the LS430. I thought I would if that were mine, and I noted it did not look outrageous like say a 2019 or a 2020 Vette would, and also the owner was clearly mid 70's.

But then I got home and looked the car up and it's in the 3's for 0-60? dang!! I would love to see a clutch appear out of nowhere, but then again, even BMW doesn't have one. Old habits are just hard to break, that's all. I need that 3rd pedal.

Just asking. How hard would it be for Toyota Motor to come up with their own inline 6 that could be deployed even in Lexus and Toyota? That would have been my preference over the B58, but who am I anyway lol
Old 04-04-20, 06:49 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
As mentioned I saw one at Lowe's 2 weeks ago and the guy didn't even park it far away, like I did the LS430. I thought I would if that were mine, and I noted it did not look outrageous like say a 2019 or a 2020 Vette would, and also the owner was clearly mid 70's.

But then I got home and looked the car up and it's in the 3's for 0-60? dang!! I would love to see a clutch appear out of nowhere, but then again, even BMW doesn't have one. Old habits are just hard to break, that's all. I need that 3rd pedal.

Just asking. How hard would it be for Toyota Motor to come up with their own inline 6 that could be deployed even in Lexus and Toyota? That would have been my preference over the B58, but who am I anyway lol
Toyota lead eng responsible for Supra 2020 has said that in order to design a new sports car, they would have to spend about 1-1.3 BILLION dollars to bring it to the market with all regulations and stuff. So, for just a new inline 6, I would say it would cost about 500-600M dollars to R&D.... minimum.
Toyota knew that they wont be able to recover the costs, so they never bothered. Instead, just like with a BRZ/FRS they found someone to shoulder the risk/rewards with.

Last edited by sunamer; 04-04-20 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-04-20, 07:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 04-04-20, 07:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
Toyota lead eng responsible for Supra 2020 has said that in order to design a new sports car, they would have to spend about 1-1.3 BILLION dollars bring it to the market with all regulations and stuff. So, for just a new inline 6, I would say it would cost about 500-600M dollars to R&D.... minimum.
Toyota knew that they wont be able to recover the costs, so they never bothered. Instead, just like with a BRZ/FRS they found someone to shoulder the risk/rewards with.
people can complain all they want about this but if it werent for the team up the supra and Z4 would have never existed. They need to be at least grateful for this.
Old 04-04-20, 07:05 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
people can complain all they want about this but if it werent for the team up the supra and Z4 would have never existed. They need to be at least grateful for this.
yep. It is better than nothing, especially if they complain about the lack of sports cars.
Old 04-04-20, 07:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sunamer
Toyota lead eng responsible for Supra 2020 has said that in order to design a new sports car, they would have to spend about 1-1.3 BILLION dollars to bring it to the market with all regulations and stuff. So, for just a new inline 6, I would say it would cost about 500-600M dollars to R&D.... minimum.
If I'm not mistaken the BRZ/FRS will definitely still have a stick. Might be a nice alternative for having a fun car if one doesn't need the boldness of a Supra or Vette.....I could live with a 4 cyl turbo I guess if it's a fun car. At least that will give it modern day torque...

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra