Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 03:12 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
why don't you have BMWs then? it's also showing that toyota really couldn't care less about disappointing its most avid fans and is happy to stick a giant middle finger up to them by desecrating the famous Supra name, a car known as a JDM legend and one of the finest vehicles ever to come out of japan, the ghidorah to nissan's godzilla

nissan came out with their own in-house GT-R not even a decade after being on the verge of bankruptcy and it was an unbelievably phenomenally performing car that could put cars costing 2-3x as much to shame, meanwhile here we are with the world's most profitable car company doing as well as ever and they can't even be bothered to make a car only intended to be as fast as a porsche cayman

also it's not just shared with BMW it is a BMW so you get the dreaded BMW bonggggg bonggggg bonggggg when you open the door and start it up... unbelievable laziness on toyota's part, how would you feel if your 4runner was a dodge durango underneath that used chrysler parts?
I agree with everything you said in your post. But It’s clear the people running Toyota today are not the same folks who ran Toyota while they built amazing sports cars back in the 80’s snd 90’s. I assume all those old timers have retired and they have hired a bunch of bean counters to replace those free thinkers. You should definitely check out this book. It gives a lot of insight to what goes on behind closed doors at these big automakers headquarters.

Old 04-04-20, 03:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

why don't you have BMWs then? it's also showing that toyota really couldn't care less about disappointing its most avid fans and is happy to stick a giant middle finger up to them by desecrating the famous Supra name, a car known as a JDM legend and one of the finest vehicles ever to come out of japan, the ghidorah to nissan's godzilla

nissan came out with their own in-house GT-R not even a decade after being on the verge of bankruptcy and it was an unbelievably phenomenally performing car that could put cars costing 2-3x as much to shame, meanwhile here we are with the world's most profitable car company doing as well as ever and they can't even be bothered to make a car only intended to be as fast as a porsche cayman

also it's not just shared with BMW it is a BMW so you get the dreaded BMW bonggggg bonggggg bonggggg when you open the door and start it up... unbelievable laziness on toyota's part, how would you feel if your 4runner was a dodge durango underneath that used chrysler parts?
I'm surprised that the Supra has the bong chimes. I have two BMW's right now and they don't do it. Maybe Toyota wanted them included for safety or something?
Old 04-04-20, 03:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

n?
Because at some point, people just have to move on from the idea that it has BMW chassis. Otherwise, it is just constant negativity, some people want to enjoy this forum or thread and read something a little less dreary than so much negative stuff. I am most curious to see how Toyota does with this and if it strengthens the Toyota brand.

how would you feel if your 4runner was a dodge durango underneath that used chrysler parts?
I would probably be disappointed. I guess I shall cross that bridge when it comes...but if I did not like it, I would probably just move on.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-04-20 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 03:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I didn't know you had a BRZ...those cars are pretty cool to drive and i'd only get a manual if i owned one. I was thinking of getting a beater BRZ or Miata in the future as I'd love the small car experience again. If I ever track a car again, i'd do the whole BRZ / Miata thing. Consumables are so cheap unlike these $50k+ sports cars like the Supra where tire replacements are over $1,200 and more if something breaks. These things are better reserved for canyon runs
Car is very fun to drive but engine is just not special enough to be in a car like this.
Looking to get something new but limited choices for fun, light weight, NA, manual car.

here is a pic:

Old 04-04-20, 03:52 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because at some point, people just have to move on from the idea that it has BMW chassis. Otherwise, it is just constant negativity, some people want to enjoy this forum or thread and read something a little more dreary than so much negative stuff. I am most curious to see how Toyota does with this and if it strengthens the Toyota brand.

I would probably be disappointed. I guess I shall cross that bridge when it comes...but if I did not like it, I would probably just move on.
I know what you mean, I don't own a watch that cost more than $200. I have a yellow seiko automatic and it's odd how many compliments I have gotten. But a watch discussion with people at work or at parties (not sure if those are a thing of the past) inevitably takes us on a journey where suddenly people are saying that well you can imagine we're now in the $20,000 range and I feel like saying back the truck up. My dream watch is around $5,000 today, I don't have it, and likely never will, so to say a Rolex that costs $15k isn't a real rolex, we're not really at the same wavelength. I know you believe what you do and are not lying, $15k isn't a real watch to you. But we're all different. Even though you don't consider that a real Rolex, I don't even have it and never will and don't even want it. That's the part that those knocking the Supra actually don't understand. Some people bought the car and they love it. You can point out everything that sucks about it, but they still love their car. And last time I checked, it was their sixty thousand dollars that bought it.
Old 04-04-20, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That's the part that those knocking the Supra actually don't understand. Some people bought the car and they love it. You can point out everything that sucks about it, but they still love their car. And last time I checked, it was their sixty thousand dollars that bought it.
What a great comment And those who people love their Supra, personally I would find it more interesting to hear what THEY do not like about their Supra than just some of the constant hate on this forum.
Old 04-04-20, 04:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Nobody is knocking ppl for buying it as everyone has their own criteria for what they prefer.

Many ppl hate 86/BRZ - to me its still an amazing fun car. But i know its not perfect and well aware of its shortcomings. Same for this Supra.
i think for ppl that remember the MKIV, this new one is a disappointment.
Old 04-04-20, 04:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Here is the 1 month update from C&D on their long-term test of the Supra:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ign=nl19902922
Old 04-04-20, 05:38 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That's the part that those knocking the Supra actually don't understand. Some people bought the car and they love it. You can point out everything that sucks about it, but they still love their car. And last time I checked, it was their sixty thousand dollars that bought it.
i mostly just knock on it because it's called the supra lol... i'm sure it's dynamically a fantastic car and i'd have an absolute blast to rip one down a nice backroad, and i don't even necessarily dislike BMW (my all time favorite mclaren f1 uses a fantastic BMW V12, and i'll always stand up for a nice E39 540i) as long as all the BMWness is isolated to BMWs... the supra was always renowned for its total rock solid reliability and i don't trust all those BMW parts to still be worry-free
Old 04-04-20, 05:41 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because at some point, people just have to move on from the idea that it has BMW chassis. Otherwise, it is just constant negativity, some people want to enjoy this forum or thread and read something a little less dreary than so much negative stuff. I am most curious to see how Toyota does with this and if it strengthens the Toyota brand.
i have to disagree, toyota needs to know that this should not be repeated, had they just called it something else much of people's negativity would be completely avoided... but they know that the hype from the old supra is enough to make this whole project financially worth it for them
Old 04-04-20, 05:45 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm surprised that the Supra has the bong chimes. I have two BMW's right now and they don't do it. Maybe Toyota wanted them included for safety or something?
i wouldn't know, but the zupra i sat in made this sound

Old 04-04-20, 07:32 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by highrev6
I agree with everything you said in your post. But It’s clear the people running Toyota today are not the same folks who ran Toyota while they built amazing sports cars back in the 80’s snd 90’s. I assume all those old timers have retired and they have hired a bunch of bean counters to replace those free thinkers. You should definitely check out this book. It gives a lot of insight to what goes on behind closed doors at these big automakers headquarters.
that certainly seems to be the case, i'd like to know how my main homie Eiji would feel about akio's leadership... they have more reputation to rely on now, and toyota execs obviously realize they can still sell cars off of that without needing to build them as well, or even at all lol

thanks for the book recommendation, i just might!
Old 04-04-20, 09:07 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

that certainly seems to be the case, i'd like to know how my main homie Eiji would feel about akio's leadership... they have more reputation to rely on now, and toyota execs obviously realize they can still sell cars off of that without needing to build them as well, or even at all lol

thanks for the book recommendation, i just might!
Akio's leadership has kept the bean counters and stockholders happy. Toyota is very different than Nissan and Honda, they are literally worth both than both of them combined yet Nissan has the GTR and Honda the NSX neither of which was done with any partnership but Toyota doesn't have their own in house sports car. That alone should tell you where Toyota's focus is.
Old 04-04-20, 09:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by plex
Akio's leadership has kept the bean counters and stockholders happy. Toyota is very different than Nissan and Honda, they are literally worth both than both of them combined yet Nissan has the GTR and Honda the NSX neither of which was done with any partnership but Toyota doesn't have their own in house sports car. That alone should tell you where Toyota's focus is.
with me it's never been a question of what toyota's focus is, just disappointment that it is what it is... i can only hope that all this extra counting of beans as of lately is to help fund some really big secret project in the works, akio is an avid racing enthusiast too which makes his decisions even more confusing
Old 04-04-20, 10:24 PM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to disagree, toyota needs to know that this should not be repeated, had they just called it something else much of people's negativity would be completely avoided... but they know that the hype from the old supra is enough to make this whole project financially worth it for them
Above is exactly my point!

They are cashing in on people's nostalgia. Some even pointed out that they could've recycled the Lexus' V6 engine for the Supra if they really wanted to. I even implied this on the AE86 thread here but people were actually denying that a modern Corolla isn't related to the AE86.

Last edited by laiyukchun; 04-12-20 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra