Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 11:34 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This is not a true sports car to me.

What i enjoy about my BRZ and most BMWs like my M3 - is the amazing driving position.
They designed the driver to be part of the machine. There are no compromises to visibility, you sit low in the car with the steering column adjustment perfect for aggressive driving.

If you ever sat/driven 911 or any modern mid-engine supercar - they are so comfortable and forward/side visibility is not compromised.
Corvettes / Mustangs/ Camaros and new supra - you sit on like you are riding on top of the car and have poor sight lines almost everywhere.

Can someone get used to this - sure.
For some ppl seating position is not important or they value other things.
For me - the Supra doesn’t have many redeeming qualities.
Lol, u still haven't driven t have you?

I love driving my Zupra... Mkiv purists hates it, while Bimmer affecianados can't fathom that it's more BMW then most bimmers today!

Last edited by ST430; 04-04-20 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 11:42 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Have to chuckle at the responses ...the last time Toyota tried to do a mainstream sports coupe, they gave us the RC line a fa, u derpowered, Frankenstein of a car....I had such high hopes dashed. You truly think Toyco could have a real sports car themselves and not mess it up (again)?

And ps - things I don't like about it: 1) cheap pain job (chips easily) 2) supra-tax on parts (expected) 3) too many people gawking, I'm more of an introvert. 4) running 9s 1/4 mile in first 9 months of existence (should be 8s already according to pursists).

Old 04-05-20, 03:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What a great comment And those who people love their Supra, personally I would find it more interesting to hear what THEY do not like about their Supra than just some of the constant hate on this forum.
This is along the same lines different product. When I was a kid I always dreamed of a Martin guitar--USA made, solid top, quality and heritage, distinctive headstock. I'm sure there are some on this forum who even think, pffffft, $8k for a guitar, that's nothing, I have 6 of them.

Well guess what, I never got a Martin. I honestly don't play enough at all to warrant it. But one day I went to a guitar place, and all by myself, I played every Martin and Taylor from about $2,000, to $10,000. And oddly, in every case (about 5 guitars each), I liked Taylor better. I thought, hmmm...I thought Taylor was a Gen Z or Gen Y thing where it looked good and they played 1 or 2 chords to a 500 mil fortune, and it happened to also be their first name. Maybe a purist says what a joke you think you like Taylor better. But Martin is the best. Um, I do lol I played 10 guitars and I decided what I like. Which actually got me to do the above was when we were in Chicago my wife's aunt's husband had a Taylor and he let me play it. He was in his late 50's so not a Gen Z obviously.

What is strange to me, is how things that were out of our price ranges when small, for the most part, still are. lol

Another example, say I bought the 2013 S63 P30 that I want, for maybe $35k, that was $162k brand new. Or maybe I lease a new one at $162k. Now I go and say hey people, since I'm at the $162k level, I can now clearly judge people that buy 60k cars, and tell them they suck. haha

Things suck, and things don't suck. Based on what I can see, the Supra does not.
Old 04-05-20, 03:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430

I love driving my Zupra... Mkiv purists hates it, while Bimmer affecianados can't fathom that it's more BMW then most bimmers today!
This was funny, "If you ever sat/driven 911." Many of us have at Porsche events. Me, lead and follow with the 997 and 991, and to me the 991 steering was not perfect but whatever. Based on its price point it's not something I would get, as well as serviceability.

If the Supra lacks snob factor, maybe the people driving them are too busy driving them to notice, or care.
Old 04-05-20, 09:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I have no interest in spending 2hrs of my time talking to a sales person to do a 5min drive.
I have driven every BMW imaginable and currently have the X3 M40i with the updated B58 inline 6 with 382hp that Supra will get in 2021. While the engine and trans combo is very good - S55 paired with DCT is way superior.

The styling is OK but as I mentioned I couldn’t get over the poor seating position and visibility.
You literally have to duck your head to see forward as the top of windshield is at eye level lol. Side visibility is even worse.

For similar $$$$$, M2 Comp is a no brainer. Much better powertrain, brakes, suspension, and way more useful interior. Plus you can get it in manual!

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-05-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-05-20, 11:12 AM
ST430
Pole Position

I have no interest in spending 2hrs of my time talking to a sales person to do a 5min drive.
I have driven every BMW imaginable and currently have the X3 M40i with the updated B58 inline 6 with 382hp that Supra will get in 2021. While the engine and trans combo is very good - S55 paired with DCT is way superior.

The styling is OK but as I mentioned I couldn’t get over the poor seating position and visibility.
You literally have to duck your head to see forward as the top of windshield is at eye level lol. Side visibility is even worse.

For similar $$$$$, M2 Comp is a no brainer. Much better powertrain, brakes, suspension, and way more useful interior. Plus you can get it in manual!
Except magazines that have compared the M2 vs the Zupra have the pseudo-Bimmer ahead of it. But hey, if 2 door sedan is your choice, go for it. I'll still be enjoying my Supra and hoping they'll have s58 GRMN version :x

Speaking of race version, you probably heard if Jackie Ding, who used to race an 86, but now has a Zupra. He just set the lap record for street class at GTA at Buttonwillow. Imagine, if it had better visibility for him!

Last edited by ST430; 04-05-20 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-05-20, 11:21 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This was funny, "If you ever sat/driven 911." Many of us have at Porsche events. Me, lead and follow with the 997 and 991, and to me the 991 steering was not perfect but whatever. Based on its price point it's not something I would get, as well as serviceability.

If the Supra lacks snob factor, maybe the people driving them are too busy driving them to notice, or care.
Hehe, this sounds exactly like what purist MKIV and Bimmer bros sound like. For me, I've waited 20+ years for this replacement of my mkiv's and it has been well worth the wait. The fact that there is more controversy riling up the wannabees makes it even more rewarding when they're proven wrong on the street, strip, or track!

Old 04-05-20, 11:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Except magazines that have compared the M2 vs the Zupra have the pseudo-Bimmer ahead of it. But hey, if 2 door sedan is your choice, go for it. I'll still be enjoying my Supra and hoping they'll have s58 GRMN version :x

Speaking of race version, you probably heard if Jackie Ding, who used to race an 86, but now has a Zupra. He just set the lap record for street class at GTA at Buttonwillow. Imagine, if it had better visibility for him!

Happy you are enjoying your Supra. Was the model you wanted difficult to get? Long wait?
Old 04-05-20, 11:30 AM
ST430
Pole Position

I have driven every BMW imaginable and currently have the X3 M40i with the updated B58 inline 6 with 382hp that Supra will get in 2021.
Ps - due to the Zupra, we will be replacing our RX350 with a X3 M40i as well....the engine is that sweet and ridiculously modable. I already drove the Z4 w/ it the mid and top end is ridiculous!

Old 04-05-20, 11:35 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Happy you are enjoying your Supra. Was the model you wanted difficult to get? Long wait?
I actually wanted a base model, because I was going to heavily modify it. After a 2 month wait, I gave up and got a Launch edition, which was fine since the ECUs are unlocked on them. I was lucky to get it at MSRP as well, since they were all going for 5-10k over on the west coast...

Old 04-05-20, 12:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Hehe, this sounds exactly like what purist MKIV and Bimmer bros sound like. For me, I've waited 20+ years for this replacement of my mkiv's and it has been well worth the wait. The fact that there is more controversy riling up the wannabees makes it even more rewarding when they're proven wrong on the street, strip, or track!
Seriously, I had no idea what the numbers were on the new Supra. I had to look them up. No, I have not driven one.

Back in summer 2015 I went to the Porsche event where we drove all kinds of sweet cars. Not just a 991 S, but the GTS. Can you say alcantara? In addition we autocrossed the Panamera S and GTS (my goodness their instructors need to get some personality ala BMW!). Suddenly, the Cayman S and GTS didn't seem as sweet as it really is. I remember telling this guy I met down in Atlanta (this we when I had the GTI rental), who was into E39s including 6 cyl, 8 cyl., and M5, he owned all 3. I told him dang I felt like if I can't buy that 991 there's no reason to be alive. He laughed and said I might as well kill myself now!

Yes, all of us enthusiasts have to have some love for a 911, but way way back in 2015 the Carrera S at the launch was 141k. That was over 4 years ago. Just a RWD S. I'm not ashamed to say that's not likely gonna be in my garage. But a 60k car? Yes with some planning.

If resources were unlimited, the new Supra gets added to the stable. It appears to be worth its price, brand new.
Old 04-06-20, 10:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I have both powertrains in my garage and have driven them back to back many times.

The S55 with DCT is way SUPERIOR!
If you talk tuning - S55 internals are stronger and can manage more power. Not to mention superior cooling.

M2 has also won its share of comparos over Supra.

Love your Red Supra btw - that was my dream color on MKIV and the one i would get on new one.
Old 04-06-20, 01:01 PM
ST430
Pole Position

I have both powertrains in my garage and have driven them back to back many times.

The S55 with DCT is way SUPERIOR!
If you talk tuning - S55 internals are stronger and can manage more power. Not to mention superior cooling.

M2 has also won its share of comparos over Supra.

Love your Red Supra btw - that was my dream color on MKIV and the one i would get on new one.
i hope it beats the stock Zupra given the 80+ hp advantage . As for modded, they're fun to play with

And you'll like this pic then of a MKIV that chased me down to talk and get pix.....

Old 04-06-20, 01:08 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Wow that is a pristine 1997 MKIV right there and even looks unmolested/stock. I never liked renaissance red in the MKIV. The red on your Zupra is more my style.
Old 04-06-20, 02:12 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

@ST430 nice pic next to the MKIV. I like the newer Ren Red paint compared to the old one.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra