Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 04:30 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Wow that is a pristine 1997 MKIV right there and even looks unmolested/stock. I never liked renaissance red in the MKIV. The red on your Zupra is more my style.
The 97' mkiv has some (stealthy and tasteful) mods. I actually almost bought this 98' TT (auto though) w/ 64k miles. No regrets that I didn't get I though.....

Last edited by ST430; 04-06-20 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 04:36 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plex
@ST430 nice pic next to the MKIV. I like the newer Ren Red paint compared to the old one.
The new a Rennaisance Red is really interesting. Normally it looks like a Crimson Red (BMW color), but in the sunlight, it has a very bright red look to it...

Old 04-06-20, 08:31 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

awesome shot! i know it's of the period but i never thought the supra should have chrome wheels, not very sports car... the zupra is lucky to be that close to such esteemed company lol

also love the super red IV, my supra is the exact same color (in gran turismo)
Old 04-07-20, 04:59 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
The new a Rennaisance Red is really interesting. Normally it looks like a Crimson Red (BMW color), but in the sunlight, it has a very bright red look to it...
You're right I've seen one in person and it does pop better in the sunlight compared the original Ren Red. I'm not a red color guy but really like this one.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
awesome shot! i know it's of the period but i never thought the supra should have chrome wheels, not very sports car... the zupra is lucky to be that close to such esteemed company lol

also love the super red IV, my supra is the exact same color (in gran turismo)
Considering the MKIV owner chased him down to talk and get pics I'm not that sure about being lucky lol. A lot of my Supra buddies that "hate" the MKV talk big online but when they see one they take pics ha ha.
Old 04-07-20, 11:22 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Considering the MKIV owner chased him down to talk and get pics I'm not that sure about being lucky lol. A lot of my Supra buddies that "hate" the MKV talk big online but when they see one they take pics ha ha.
that's the influence of the supra name, i'm sure those people wouldn't take pictures of a BMW Z4 branded as a BMW

also we weren't there, who knows which one really did the chasing lol

Last edited by Stroock639; 04-07-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 12:09 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

that's the influence of the supra name, i'm sure those people wouldn't take pictures of a BMW Z4 branded as a BMW

also we weren't there, who knows which one really did the chasing lol
The MKV's are pretty quick from a dig, most of the BPU MKIV Supra's I know of will struggle off the line against one even if the MKIV is making more power. On the highway already rolling would be a different story. The 2021 MKV is switching to a normal 6 plenum exhaust manifold and will have more base power instead of the integrated manifold design with 2 exhaust ports the current 2020 MKV has. That setup will be better suited for highway pulls with a bigger turbo. Will be interesting to see how that does once the aftermarket gets a hold of it.
Old 04-07-20, 04:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The MKV's are pretty quick from a dig, most of the BPU MKIV Supra's I know of will struggle off the line against one even if the MKIV is making more power. On the highway already rolling would be a different story. The 2021 MKV is switching to a normal 6 plenum exhaust manifold and will have more base power instead of the integrated manifold design with 2 exhaust ports the current 2020 MKV has. That setup will be better suited for highway pulls with a bigger turbo. Will be interesting to see how that does once the aftermarket gets a hold of it.
They are really good from a dig surprisingly. Take a look at this drag race...i've never seen a car take off faster from a dig than a Tesla but this one ran away from it at the beginning. This one had a simple tune pushing 500hp only. Good cars.

Old 04-07-20, 06:34 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

i was just jokingly suggesting that mr. ST430 was perhaps not totally honest about who actually wanted to stop and chat

the supra has nothing to prove, the zupra has everything to prove... also i'd never deny that it's a fast car, i'm waiting for the day when i'm on the highway in the E55 and a mildly tuned zupra pulls up next to me lol

both cars totally stock though, in the car and driver instrumented test the zupra with its quick shifting 8 speed is only about 2 seconds quicker from 0-150 than the supra with a 6 speed manual, so essentially the supra got no faster in over 25 years... idk how someone can say that's not disappointing

now if toyota didn't call this new car a supra i'd be ok with that
Old 04-07-20, 07:10 PM
ST430
Pole Position

both cars totally stock though, in the car and driver instrumented test the zupra with its quick shifting 8 speed is only about 2 seconds quicker from 0-150 than the supra with a 6 speed manual, so essentially the supra got no faster in over 25 years... idk how someone can say that's not disappointing
150 mph is 220 ft/sec, so basically the MkV beats the MKIV by 440ft or about 10.5 bus lengths.....ya that's not progress for being more fuel efficient , less polluting, and cheaper (in today's dollar).

I can still see there are guys still in denial over the car since they keep on talking about it even when they supposedly have no interest!

​​​
Old 04-07-20, 07:12 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
They are really good from a dig surprisingly. Take a look at this drag race...i've never seen a car take off faster from a dig than a Tesla but this one ran away from it at the beginning. This one had a simple tune pushing 500hp only. Good cars.

https://youtu.be/UbVMwlliSKw

Stock, they are great... At 500whp, not so good lol....ull need some meat (I run 315/35s!)....

Old 04-07-20, 07:37 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 281 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ

https://youtu.be/UbVMwlliSKw
That is the opposite of what I thought would have happened. I would’ve expected the Tesla to take it to 60 and then the Supra to start reeling it in. Stock for stock the trap speeds are close but tuned with 500hp the Supra should be trapping a good bit higher than the Tesla and in the video the Tesla started to reel in and pass the Supra, weird. That was also one race, the Tesla is so consistent out of the hole that I bet it would take the Supra 9 out of 10 tries out of the hole.
Old 04-07-20, 07:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
That is the opposite of what I thought would have happened. I would’ve expected the Tesla to take it to 60 and then the Supra to start reeling it in. Stock for stock the trap speeds are close but tuned with 500hp the Supra should be trapping a good bit higher than the Tesla and in the video the Tesla started to reel in and pass the Supra, weird. That was also one race, the Tesla is so consistent out of the hole that I bet it would take the Supra 9 out of 10 tries out of the hole.
I was surprised at how fast that Supra shot out. The Tesla is crazy out of the dig and that thing shot out faster! You're right though, it's super consistent so I'd expect the Tesla to win most of the races due to consistency.
Old 04-07-20, 09:46 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

150 mph is 220 ft/sec, so basically the MkV beats the MKIV by 440ft or about 10.5 bus lengths.....ya that's not progress for being more fuel efficient , less polluting, and cheaper (in today's dollar).
lol touché but you know that's pretty much all down to the transmission and tires (neither of which have anything to do with toyota or BMW)... while that looks nice on paper for specs and stat sheets, the real world fun doesn't start until after the first 30-40 mph, once you're both up to speed the main advantage is pretty much lost

i haven't driven the zupra but i have put my foot down at 50 in a stock supra turbo for a few sustained seconds and it was shockingly impressive lol, as someone who's had both can you really say putting your foot down at 50 in the zupra is noticeably more impressive? assuming the supra is in the right gear first of course
Old 04-08-20, 05:25 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

lol touché but you know that's pretty much all down to the transmission and tires (neither of which have anything to do with toyota or BMW)... while that looks nice on paper for specs and stat sheets, the real world fun doesn't start until after the first 30-40 mph, once you're both up to speed the main advantage is pretty much lost

i haven't driven the zupra but i have put my foot down at 50 in a stock supra turbo for a few sustained seconds and it was shockingly impressive lol, as someone who's had both can you really say putting your foot down at 50 in the zupra is noticeably more impressive? assuming the supra is in the right gear first of course
No offense but you're just talking from the side lines with not having owned either car. I get you're another upset MKIV fan, tons of you guys online. I guess it comes with the territory of owning a car like the MKIV but fans are annoying AF. It's more to a sports car than straight line power and the MKV is very impressive on road courses and that came directly from a friend that builds MKIV's Jose Valle of Kaizen Motorsports. The 2020 MKV is not a top end car like the MKIV is, not everyone cares about roll racing to 160 plus. As pointed out the 2021 setup is different with the manifold setup but doubt you even read about that stuff to understand the differences with having a true 6 port exhaust setup off the head because you hate the car. It is what it is sometimes I wonder why you post and follow this thread.
Old 04-08-20, 05:35 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Stock, they are great... At 500whp, not so good lol....ull need some meat (I run 315/35s!)....
How do you like those tires? Those are NT05R's? I just switched from Toyo R888's to new R888R's on my MKIV in 305/35/18's they seem to need more time to heat up compared to the old ones. I'm just over 800hp and they seem to spin more will see how they do when it's warmer out.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra