Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 07:42 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Funny thing coming from a FRZ86 owner lol....

Where are you in NY? Have several shops that would be happy to take you out in their Zupra and show you the typical owner experience.

For most Zupra guys, it's their 3rd or 4th car and they'll take it out maybe once a week. I kinda like it rare, so keep on hating and tell ur friends too!
Nobody is questioning that its fast in a straightline.
Any BMW with the inline6 turbo motors could be tuned for crazy power. This is not news.

For brutal speed, i have F80 Comp so this Supra will not be any relevation.
My BRZ provides a pure driving experience that really is nothing like it except maybe for Miata or Cayman. It’s extremely light, great manual, perfect driving position, great steering feel etc. It is very slow though!

Congrats on your Supra and enjoy it in good health.
Unless they come out with a manual and more extreme track edition- I don’t have too much interest.

I’m looking to upgrade from my BRZ but looking for manual car....really nothing out there except maybe C7 GS Corvette or GT350. But those are heavy and have poor build quality.
Old 04-09-20, 11:20 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Once it gets warmer and things get better with the covid stuff I will take it out, curious how they will do when properly heated up. I don't do digs period even with launch control and traction control 1st and most of 2nd is pretty useless unless I turn down to low boost which is still around 550 at the wheels. I plan to get a dragy also. Below is shot of my MKIV next to a Ren Red MKV at a local event last year and below that is a recent shot.

Beautiful! The MKIV will always be near and dear to my heart, as it's the first real sports car I ever owned! Your car must be a beast! I'm hoping to get another one for sentimental reasons, hehe!

I'm hoping to get to your power level once the MKV aftermarket figures out what's good and bad to use. I can slap on some pure turbos now for around 600-700, but even though it has Bimmer roots, it still has a Supras badge, so 800 or bust!
Old 04-09-20, 11:42 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Beautiful! The MKIV will always be near and dear to my heart, as it's the first real sports car I ever owned! Your car must be a beast! I'm hoping to get another one for sentimental reasons, hehe!

I'm hoping to get to your power level once the MKV aftermarket figures out what's good and bad to use. I can slap on some pure turbos now for around 600-700, but even though it has Bimmer roots, it still has a Supras badge, so 800 or bust!
Last dyno was 830 to the wheels which is pushing it for stock short block. I'm happy with the power not sure I want more as this is a lot as is ha ha. Drove a friend's MKIV making over 1100 at the wheels and it was fun but I actually felt like it was too much fun, maybe I'm getting old plus I'm not a fan of drag radial tires. They are fun for straight line but other than that they felt sketchy. I get why they are needed at that power level though.

I've been following various builds and curious about the limit of the ZF 8spd which looks to be 750 plus give or take on torque. That's a lot of torque, also curious what the B58 will hold stock wise. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-09-20, 01:56 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Nobody is questioning that its fast in a straightline.
Any BMW with the inline6 turbo motors could be tuned for crazy power. This is not news.

For brutal speed, i have F80 Comp so this Supra will not be any relevation.
My BRZ provides a pure driving experience that really is nothing like it except maybe for Miata or Cayman. It’s extremely light, great manual, perfect driving position, great steering feel etc. It is very slow though!

Congrats on your Supra and enjoy it in good health.
Unless they come out with a manual and more extreme track edition- I don’t have too much interest.

I’m looking to upgrade from my BRZ but looking for manual car....really nothing out there except maybe C7 GS Corvette or GT350. But those are heavy and have poor build quality.
Don't know why u got a FRZ86, when you could of gotten say a MR-Spyder which is lighter, better handling, a 5 speed, and is a real ToYOTA (see how I did that lol)....

or just get an Elise if you feel like being a snob...

Old 04-09-20, 02:01 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stroock639
what are you going on about? i'm simply asking how the acceleration from 50 or so in a stock supra compares to a stock zupra

those are nice numbers on the draggy btw... your 60-130 is about 2 seconds quicker than mine (totally stock), i'll have to pick on a car less tuned than yours lol
You've gone on and on about the mkiv....so kicking you some knowledge since again, I've owned 2 myself.

Luckily straightline isn't the only cards forthe Zupra has up it's sleeve.....the handling is awesome as well.

Old 04-09-20, 03:22 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

You've gone on and on about the mkiv....so kicking you some knowledge since again, I've owned 2 myself.

Luckily straightline isn't the only cards forthe Zupra has up it's sleeve.....the handling is awesome as well.
you're being particularly dodgy about a very straightforward question... and i imagine it would handle awesomely, that's something BMW does exceptionally well
Old 04-09-20, 09:07 PM
ST430
Pole Position

you're being particularly dodgy about a very straightforward question... and i imagine it would handle awesomely, that's something BMW does exceptionally well

​​​​​​Lol, how am I dodgy? Is this coming from the same dude that said the Zupra is only 2 seconds better? Then tried to say what if it was in higher gears? What are you going to rant about next? If the Zupra had the Lexus v6? If you really wanted to know, Google it. Don't really care about stock Zupra's as I'm not stock nor most Zupra's out there...

Old 04-09-20, 10:42 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

​​​​​​Lol, how am I dodgy? Is this coming from the same dude that said the Zupra is only 2 seconds better? Then tried to say what if it was in higher gears? What are you going to rant about next? If the Zupra had the Lexus v6? If you really wanted to know, Google it. Don't really care about stock Zupra's as I'm not stock nor most Zupra's out there...
this is not the same dude, i never said those things, car and driver magazine did... here's their test numbers:

1993 supra

Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.1 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 19.9 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 29.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.1 sec @ 109 mph

2020 zupra

Zero to 60 mph: 3.8 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 9.5 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 26.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 113 mph

you seem to only respond well to people that compliment you, so whatever i'll stop trying to ask sincere questions... if i haven't said so already, i do think your zupra looks great
Old 04-09-20, 11:36 PM
ST430
Pole Position

this is not the same dude, i never said those things, car and driver magazine did... here's their test numbers:

you seem to only respond well to people that compliment you, so whatever i'll stop trying to ask sincere questions... if i haven't said so already, i do think your zupra looks great
The problem is I can't tell.if you're asking the questions sincerely or facetiously, given your past troll comments, so I respond en kind.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 04-09-20, 11:45 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

The problem is I can't tell.if you're asking the questions sincerely or facetiously, given your past troll comments, so I respond en kind.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i think you might be mistaking my atypical opinions for trolling lol

but i promise there's been no trolling from me, not in this thread at least... just a fan of 90s toyota who's sad to see what their priorities and tactics have become
Old 04-09-20, 11:56 PM
ST430
Pole Position

i think you might be mistaking my atypical opinions for trolling lol

but i promise there's been no trolling from me, not in this thread at least... just a fan of 90s toyota who's sad to see what their priorities and tactics have become
I'm sad that Toyco can't figure out sports coupes either..... A half assed attempt at frankenstein bloated RC, a woefully underpowered FRZ86, and a voluptuous LC that has more bark then bite. However, you don't see me going to those forums and continually badger people. So forgive me if I find it suspicious how someone would continually go and troll on the same dead horse for months on end.

Old 04-10-20, 12:10 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

However, you don't see me going to those forums and continually badger people. So forgive me if I find it suspicious how someone would continually go and troll on the same dead horse for months on end.
i don't think i've done that... there was a post that said 'so what if it's a BMW' (#1584) and i replied with why that's an issue

then i asked an easy question which became a whole drawn out thing lol, either way i think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot but i see a nice future for us
Old 04-10-20, 03:46 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

^^^I may have also taken your responses for trolling and the typical crying about what this car is or isn't. I don't own a MKV yet find myself somewhat defending it. And some people are confused because I own a MKIV and guess I'm supposed to be on the bashing bandwagon for this car. As ST430 pointed out it's not like Toyota is making badass sports cars then all along then suddenly collaborated with BMW using the Supra name. Some consider the RC-F the "real" Supra yet no one is running out to buy them at the base price or the Track Edition price of $97K msrp. Maybe the LC-F will happen and even though that car will probably be about $150K it will be nice to see Toyota build something in house again.
Old 04-10-20, 03:49 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Beautiful pics.
Old 04-10-20, 04:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I like the Supra, no intentions on buying one. I like the Celicas, if I lived where weather were good like SoCal etc., I could see myself rolling in an '84 GT-S, seriously. I think the thing to remember about forums, I think we can like what we don't own, may never own, and we can also dislike or be critical about what we own. I mean after all, how can one critique a movie they've never seen, right? When you look at all the cars I've owned in my lifetime, and there weren't that many, I've never purchased the same make more than 1X, except Volvo. To me, everytime that wheel goes 'round, you're bound to cover just a little more ground. It should be a roulette wheel decision--every new spin has nothing to do with the last (same with buying/selling securities). If future decisions are based on the past ones, then we're restricted.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra