Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 11:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This will be an interesting long term take. not like 40K is even that much.

Source
Old 05-09-20, 02:33 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Is Paying So Cal Dealers $5,000 To Buy The Supra

https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-art...-buy-the-supra
Toyota Is Paying Dealers $5,000 To Buy The Supra

While most automakers are primarily focused on helping consumers amidst COVID-19, Toyota is giving dealership employees a $5,000 reason to buy the 2020 Supra. According to a bulletin sent yesterday to dealers here in Southern California, the deal is aimed squarely at dealer employees instead of the average buyer.

Unlike a traditional dealer cash incentive that can be passed along to customers, the offer in question is treated as purchase assistance for dealer associates. No other Toyota benefits from such a large employee discount, and the offer is worth more than twice other Supra incentives that are available in May.

So why is Toyota paying dealers to buy its most expensive car?

The fact is that the Supra is a very expensive, limited production car. Last year's sales figures show the brand managed to sell just 2,884 Supras, making it the company's lowest-volume passenger car apart from the Mirai, which isn't sold outside California. For reference, over 304,000 Corollas were sold in the same period.

It's also worth noting that the Supra is due for an update later this year. The 2021 Supra V6 will gain a boost in output and Toyota plans to introduce a new 4-cylinder turbo with a heavily-rumored lower price tag. Interestingly, this isn't the first time that we've seen Toyota offer discounts on the Supra.

Back in March, the brand began offering dealers in most parts of the country a $1,000 dealer cash incentive to help lower prices for consumers. The offer was doubled in April to $2,000, although most car buyers may not have even noticed because Toyota still isn't advertising it like its other rebates & offers.

Supra prices start at $50,945 but can exceed $57,000 with options. But that's not the only obstacle. Our early analysis found that the car could be almost $150/month more expensive to lease than the BMW Z4 even though they share the same underlying platform and have nearly identical MSRPs.

Sadly, most dealership employees outside Socal likely won't find a $5,000 Supra discount waiting for them at work. We looked at bulletins for 19 different regions and were unable to find a reference to a similar deal elsewhere. That said, with Memorial Day around the corner, anything is possible.
Old 05-09-20, 03:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Probably just an oversight in the article, but they refer to the 2021 Supra V6 getting an update. Should be straight 6 or just 6 cylinder would do.
Old 05-09-20, 09:02 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

One thing about Supra its a great value now with all the discounts if you can get past its shortcomings. Not sure if they have any lease support for it.

Right now BMW has amazing lease program on the M4, although I have an M3 - the idea of leasing a base Manual M4 has crossed my mind LOL. BMW is also doing 0.9% financing. M4 is only about $10k more than Supra. Lease rates on M2 are still horrible though.
Old 05-13-20, 09:26 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-13-20, 09:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It's "Supra Week" on Car and Driver. Some good articles from the archives, dyno testing the 2021 Supra, history of the Supra, etc. Some good reading if you have time.
Old 07-15-20, 10:40 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I just made a long test run of the MK5 Supra yesterday.

And this car is puzzling me on who it is actually aiming for.

The design of the car was not fluid in my eyes. It is generally better IRL than on picture, but you feel that the project was butchered on the way and the proportions are unfinished. It's really obvious standing at the car.

There was a lot of negative to talk about. But really. Some very logical things, like looking at the traffic lights, or driving on a congested street, are actually difficult to do, due to the lack of visibility from the inside. The logic of the buttons is hard to follow. The trunk is ridiculously small, the driver cabin is small and cramped and the headroom is not existent.

The car felt planted with plenty of reserve in regard of chassis performance, but it was easy to overwhelm this chassis, by applying a little too much of the behemoth power coming out of the engine. It means, that I made the car break loose on absolutely normal road use, multiple time during the test drive. Especially when the automatic gears down for whatever reason, and you have sudden spikes of power rushing to the wheels. Also, the lightening of the rear by braking to acceleration phases, or the opposite, is remarkable on higher speeds. When you attack and then press the brake pedal for slowing down in front of a cuve, I had a strange impression of floating in the rear. This doesn't occur at normal speeds though, you need to go tougher for feeling it.

Sound insulation is too good on this car. You can't really hear what is going on with your tires, your engine or other elements. I find it problematic to offer a sportscar, for ruining the experience in putting gran turismo sound insulation. Makes no sense for me.

I was also under the impression that this car was ridiculously overpowered. When you leave a town, even on steep hill, and you want to build up your speed, all it takes is two seconds for you to reach the legal speed limit. One second more on the gas, and you are in heavy fines and jailtime territory. So this is not really relaxing at all, and the joyful experience of engine sound taking over in the cabin is getting lost too. You can't really enjoy the capacity of the car.

But the biggest problem is the price, 87'700 $ price for the entry version is not possible. I thought Toyota banded with BMW to bring this car at a price, but 87'000 bucks for this is unreasonable. For this price, I will stick with the RCF or a used ISF. Both cars that suit my tastes much more.