Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Which would you rather have? A BMW Supra or a Supra with a V6? 1 has the traditional inline 6 the other is all Toyota.
i think a toyota branded car should not be a joint venture with a major competitor, so given your choices i believe the new supra should have a toyota engine - if that's a v6, so be it. we all know how 'legendary' the stout supra i6 was and how unique and silky smooth the bmw i6's are, so i get that, but it's not essential.

I wouldnt be surprised if the LS V6 was a Yamaha engine based on the supposedly weak low end response that a lot of reviewers are complaining about. That engine will definitely come alive with 2000lb less weight to haul around but how likely will Toyota open up the ECU to allow the level of tinkering that Supra owners are likely to do?
toyota has never been interested in letting anyone tinker with the ECU. everything pretty much has been piggyback, and with today's engine management, transmissions, emissions and efficiency challenges, i dare say that even if they published all the source code hardly anyone would be able to understand it.
Old 08-03-18, 12:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Which would you rather have? A BMW Supra or a Supra with a V6? 1 has the traditional inline 6 the other is all Toyota.

I wouldnt be surprised if the LS V6 was a Yamaha engine based on the supposedly weak low end response that a lot of reviewers are complaining about. That engine will definitely come alive with 2000lb less weight to haul around but how likely will Toyota open up the ECU to allow the level of tinkering that Supra owners are likely to do?
Oh I would pick the Toyota powerplant in a heartbeat. Who cares if the engine planned is a traditional inline-6. What is traditional about the new Supra other than the name?? The car is a BMW Z4 in Toyota clothing, and the mill is BMW. The car will be manufactured in Austria by Magna-Steyr. There is nothing traditional about this car. Tradition was thrown to the wind on this project.
Old 08-03-18, 12:37 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think a toyota branded car should not be a joint venture with a major competitor, so given your choices i believe the new supra should have a toyota engine - if that's a v6, so be it. we all know how 'legendary' the stout supra i6 was and how unique and silky smooth the bmw i6's are, so i get that, but it's not essential.

toyota has never been interested in letting anyone tinker with the ECU. everything pretty much has been piggyback, and with today's engine management, transmissions, emissions and efficiency challenges, i dare say that even if they published all the source code hardly anyone would be able to understand it.
Oh? I thought the JZ was infinitely tuneable because the ECU was open besides being overbuilt. I guess I was wrong.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Oh I would pick the Toyota powerplant in a heartbeat. Who cares if the engine planned is a traditional inline-6. What is traditional about the new Supra other than the name?? The car is a BMW Z4 in Toyota clothing, and the mill is BMW. The car will be manufactured in Austria by Magna-Steyr. There is nothing traditional about this car. Tradition was thrown to the wind on this project.
Totally agree even though I will probably never buy one. Like the GT86, the Supra is just a farce. Well at a minimum the GT86 has Toyota's D4S system so at least there's some Toyota in there.

Old 08-03-18, 12:40 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
too many upper management though look at 'the numbers' without consideration of any intangibles. john sculley did that with apple - it almost went out of business. jobs came back and didn't do that, 1T valuation now.
To be fair, Apple had terrible products along with terrible marketing before Jobs came back. Now they just have ok outdated products under Cook but still the best marketing out there. That 1T valuation is the beginning signs of a stock market bubble.
Old 08-03-18, 01:00 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

To be fair, Apple had terrible products along with terrible marketing before Jobs came back. Now they just have ok outdated products under Cook but still the best marketing out there. That 1T valuation is the beginning signs of a stock market bubble.
You do raise some good points about the bubble - prepare for a crash (market self-correction adjustments).

Hoovey2411, historically the Supra lineage has always been paired up with an I6 configuration of engine, so I guess that would be the tradition. Though, it really is not necessary to maintain that if this iconic model is to SURPASS (as indicated by its name); an evolution of some sort is needed.

Rest assured (and I'm now jumping on the bandwagon of Supra enthusiasts), this Supra SHOULD impress a lot of people when revealed. Have some faith and patience.
Old 08-03-18, 01:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mk416
Hoovey2411, historically the Supra lineage has always been paired up with an I6 configuration of engine, so I guess that would be the tradition. Though, it really is not necessary to maintain that if this iconic model is to SURPASS (as indicated by its name); an evolution of some sort is needed.
In the literal sense of an I6 layout yes. But those straight sixes were built by Toyota. I don't blame Toyota for this, it's genius. Give BMW some secrets on hybrids and solid-state battery technology and in return BMW builds you a new Supra and even supplies the powertrain, add in you don't have to manufacture it either. They saved a lot on R&D. To me though the new Supra is simply a Z4 in Toyota cloth, just as the 124 Spider is a Miata.

To me the new 3.5L TTV6 which is already in the LS, and appears to be slated for duty in the LC, LX, and Land Cruiser, (I also believe it will serve as a hi-po version in a future Lexus F vehicle) is the perfect opportunity to put it in your sports car. It is derived from Toyota's efforts in WEC LMP1. The TS050 and Toyota GR Super Sport Concept utilize a 2.4L TTV6. Look at what Ford has done with their ubiquitous 3.5L TTV6 EcoBoost, finding it's way into Raptors, SHO's, and the mighty GT. I personally think Toyota missed the mark as they begin to phase out V8's, and show the capability of their new FI V6.

I have no problem with BMW working on the chassis and suspension, they are some of the best in the business. The powertrain is what disappoints me, simply because I think 'what if'. The new Supra is a German car with a German heart in a Japanese komodo. If the engine is the heart and soul of a car, then I wish Toyota had once again worked with Yamaha. Yamaha has a wonderful history of having a hand (like I mentioned above) on the 2000GT, Celica GT4, Lexus IS F, and the unbelievable LFA. They also produced the 4.4L V8 for Volvo and a bi-turbo version of it for the Noble M600.

The BMW I6 will be smooth and strong, it's a good engine that has been mentioned Ward's 10-best engines before. It's just a 'IMO' that I would have preferred an in-house powertrain, specifically one tuned by Yamaha. But it is what it is. I'm tired of this near decade long fiasco of the Supra is coming. Just reveal it already!
Old 08-03-18, 08:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
In the literal sense of an I6 layout yes. But those straight sixes were built by Toyota. I don't blame Toyota for this, it's genius. Give BMW some secrets on hybrids and solid-state battery technology and in return BMW builds you a new Supra and even supplies the powertrain, add in you don't have to manufacture it either. They saved a lot on R&D. To me though the new Supra is simply a Z4 in Toyota cloth, just as the 124 Spider is a Miata.

To me the new 3.5L TTV6 which is already in the LS, and appears to be slated for duty in the LC, LX, and Land Cruiser, (I also believe it will serve as a hi-po version in a future Lexus F vehicle) is the perfect opportunity to put it in your sports car. It is derived from Toyota's efforts in WEC LMP1. The TS050 and Toyota GR Super Sport Concept utilize a 2.4L TTV6. Look at what Ford has done with their ubiquitous 3.5L TTV6 EcoBoost, finding it's way into Raptors, SHO's, and the mighty GT. I personally think Toyota missed the mark as they begin to phase out V8's, and show the capability of their new FI V6.

I have no problem with BMW working on the chassis and suspension, they are some of the best in the business. The powertrain is what disappoints me, simply because I think 'what if'. The new Supra is a German car with a German heart in a Japanese komodo. If the engine is the heart and soul of a car, then I wish Toyota had once again worked with Yamaha. Yamaha has a wonderful history of having a hand (like I mentioned above) on the 2000GT, Celica GT4, Lexus IS F, and the unbelievable LFA. They also produced the 4.4L V8 for Volvo and a bi-turbo version of it for the Noble M600.

The BMW I6 will be smooth and strong, it's a good engine that has been mentioned Ward's 10-best engines before. It's just a 'IMO' that I would have preferred an in-house powertrain, specifically one tuned by Yamaha. But it is what it is. I'm tired of this near decade long fiasco of the Supra is coming. Just reveal it already!
I highly encourage you to READ up on Supra MKV forums.
From rumors its not a regular BMW B58 engine. Its has iron block and Toyota had large influence in developing it with help from Yamaha.

Lets wait for the specs before we right it off.

Tada said its not like the 86 twins - Z4 and Supra will be very different.
Just like Audi/Porsche share some platforms/engines but final products are vastly different.
Old 08-03-18, 11:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I highly encourage you to READ up on Supra MKV forums.
From rumors its not a regular BMW B58 engine. Its has iron block and Toyota had large influence in developing it with help from Yamaha.

Lets wait for the specs before we right it off.

Tada said its not like the 86 twins - Z4 and Supra will be very different.
Just like Audi/Porsche share some platforms/engines but final products are vastly different.

Well this is a promising post. Especially since you have BMW, Lexus, and Toyobaru experience

I love Yamaha hah
Old 08-04-18, 05:46 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Oh? I thought the JZ was infinitely tuneable because the ECU was open besides being overbuilt. I guess I was wrong.
Hmmm another sarcastic cheap shot I see. I've been playing with JZ cars for the last 14 years. Stock 6spd Supra TT ECU has some tunability with rev, speed and boost limiter removal. Some JDM companies have also offered several options. The TT JZ stock ECU's are the only ones I know that have these options. The NA 2jz for example does not that I know of. As you stated JZ's are infinitely tuneable because of the aftermarket options like Motec, ProEFI, AEM Infinity etc....the options they offer meets and surpass any tunability a street car would ever need. Seems you are bashing and taking shots at a platform because you don't believe in modding a car. Maybe you should venture into the SC forums here or Supra forums and read and understand before making statements about stock JZ ECU's.
Old 08-04-18, 04:56 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plex
Hmmm another sarcastic cheap shot I see. I've been playing with JZ cars for the last 14 years. Stock 6spd Supra TT ECU has some tunability with rev, speed and boost limiter removal. Some JDM companies have also offered several options. The TT JZ stock ECU's are the only ones I know that have these options. The NA 2jz for example does not that I know of. As you stated JZ's are infinitely tuneable because of the aftermarket options like Motec, ProEFI, AEM Infinity etc....the options they offer meets and surpass any tunability a street car would ever need. Seems you are bashing and taking shots at a platform because you don't believe in modding a car. Maybe you should venture into the SC forums here or Supra forums and read and understand before making statements about stock JZ ECU's.
Ummm no sarcasm on my part. I seriously didn't know it wasn't open sourced.
Old 08-05-18, 08:30 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Ummm no sarcasm on my part. I seriously didn't know it wasn't open sourced.
No Toyota ECU's are compared to Nissan, Honda, US and German cars........
Old 08-05-18, 11:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

No Toyota ECU's are compared to Nissan, Honda, US and German cars........
I remember when TME (Toyota Europe) started selling piggy backs under TTE brand for diesels, and when I asked one of the key regional engineers about remapping, he said that Toyota Japan (whatever unit was in charge of engines) does not even let TTE access ecu
Old 08-05-18, 07:54 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it ready yet? tired of the waiting......
Old 08-06-18, 03:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Is it ready yet? tired of the waiting......
ha, this thread is only just over a year old. Probably have another year at least.
it'll take toyota a while to make sure all the roundels are removed,
Old 08-06-18, 09:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Hopefully the ECU is like the GTR so you don’t need a piggyback and can tune everything you want.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra