Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 02:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I read MT review on pre-production Z4 and they basically said the engine response was similar to M240i and the 8speed auto is not as fast as the one in new M5.

Toyota better be working their magic on more aggressive tuning and obviously the Supra should be lighter than Z4.
I’m starting to have doubts after seeing video/ pics of the engine on the Supra that ran at Goodwood Festival and the really cheap FUGLY engine cover it had.

MT lists 380hp for Supra on its new car guide. Historically their info has been accurate and would make sense for Supra / Z4 HP #s to be less than new M2!

Old 08-10-18, 04:15 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ Seconding this. I've been keeping up with the scant insider info on that forum for some time now and this is consistent with what I have learned also, in addition to what tiny crumbs Tetsuya Tada has let fall in interviews: <SNIP>
Thank you for a very well informed post!
Old 08-10-18, 10:29 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I think the chief engineer and all the staff and Gazoo Racing engineers working on the Supra A90 do actually want to offer a manual transmission with the inline-six turbo engine but there have probably been several potential issues in their way beyond just the business case for offering a manual in their halo sports car... in which, ironically, all the fans fully expect a manual to be offered anyway.
Thank you for the comprehensive post. I'll be really disappointed if the A90 doesn't offer an MT. I get that the business case is not strong for MT, but even if they have historical issues with Getrag, surely they can develop one with any of the Japanese suppliers like Aisin? I've never been a big fan of Getrag anyway - it seems Toyota could solve problems by going with a better/more reliable Japanese manufacturer.

Old 08-10-18, 11:06 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,236 Likes on 864 Posts

Welcome, all. My clearly marked speculation section of my post aside, I'm just passing on what I've collected so far. I'm waiting to read about final specs as much as anyone who has been following this car's development.

I did a little more reading on the SupraMKV website and it seems I really am just being hopeful if I think Toyota mending their relationship with Getrag would happen. A recent insider post suggested that, still, due to the burned relationship between them and Toyota directly resulting from the how aspects of the A80's 6-speed manual transmission were handled over the long term... a new manual gearbox won't come from them even if Getrag is now owned by another company (Magna? I'm not sure offhand).

However another recent post from the Japanese rumor mill suggests that apparently there may be development on a manual version, finally, "due to high demand". No one in the threads has confirmed that but I really, really hope it's true. I agree that Aisin could make a 6-speed manual as could ZF... or even Tremec if Toyota would work with them. But more likely it would be based off a 6-speed gearbox that BMW already uses in the M340i, M2, M2 Competition or M3/M4.

Look here but there are many threads to read on this forum (in addition to the many Tetsuya Tada interviews published by many major auto news sites):

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/202...to.370/page-50
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/pet...on.778/page-16
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/let...ite-iron.1340/
Old 08-11-18, 05:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

If there is no Manual its a killer for many potential enthusiasts. Including myself.
All of its competitors offer a manual - Mustang, Camaro, Cayman, 911, M2.

I understand GTR is DCT only but that car is all about brutal acceleration which this Supra will not have.

They need to analyze the take rates for manual for GT86/BRZ and M2 - there is still a huge market.
Old 08-11-18, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Was the last supra available with a stick? I don't think i've ever seen one, only auto.
Old 08-11-18, 08:41 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Last Supra could be had with the Getrag 6sp manual on the turbo models. Non turbo models could also be had with a different 5sp manual too, the option was available.
Old 08-11-18, 11:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Was the last supra available with a stick? I don't think i've ever seen one, only auto.

Yes it was offered with a manual and I’m pretty sure they were the more common choice as back then autos were slower.
Corvette is another competitor i forgot to mention that offers a manual.
Old 08-11-18, 12:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,805 Likes on 2,372 Posts

All Supra's could be had with a manual transmission since 1979.

Old 08-11-18, 03:48 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,236 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If there is no Manual its a killer for many potential enthusiasts. Including myself.
All of its competitors offer a manual - Mustang, Camaro, Cayman, 911, M2.

I understand GTR is DCT only but that car is all about brutal acceleration which this Supra will not have.

They need to analyze the take rates for manual for GT86/BRZ and M2 - there is still a huge market.

^^ Yep. A manual has historically been available on all Supra models from non-turbos to turbos in all markets.

I agree completely about the GTR R35. It's similar in philosophy to the earlier models but very much a different competing class of car from the Skyline R32, R33 and R34's... all of which are known to be quite fun with their stock manual transmissions. The R35 has a different mission than the older models and given that... I can also see why they went DCT-only.

But that's not the target the Supra MKV was designed to chase. It was designed to be modified and raced but also to be a much more involving driver experience than the R35. Remember that Nissan is the company that decided to make the R35 feel how it does in stark contrast to its R34 predecessor. This is the same company that killed the Silvia S16 program when it was mid-way through the R&D phase. The same company that killed the IDX RWD 2+2 manual coupe project after overwhelmingly positive response from the public. The same company that earlier this year killed further development on the next the Z-car (the current one will continue through its model cycle until they decide to stop selling it). They are the same company that thinks that people who don't have $100k++ to spend on a DCT-only R35 would be much happier with a Murano Cross-Cabriolet, Juke Nismo or Kicks.

I too would be very disappointed if the Supra MKV did not come with a manual at all and especially in the inline-six turbo versions. In an era where manuals are increasingly not being offered and in which there is so much emphasis on phasing out the driver through incrementally autonomous vehicle systems, I would also be forced to forego the Supra and look into an M2, Mustang, Camaro, Cayman, etc. And that would be a shame because otherwise this is looking to be a great car in every other aspect.

Toyota sees the take rates of current generation manual FR-S/BRZ/86's as being in line with what that car was designed to cater to: just driving fun, engagement and rear-drive balance.... not power and speed. How they are not connecting that people who love those cars ALSO love high powered manual cars doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, this appears to be the last truly high performance sports car that Toyota will make that isn't electrified in such a way that a manual transmission might not be possible (although since Honda proved that a manual could be offered on the hybrid "performance-oriented" CR-Z I don't see how it would be totally impossible to offer manuals until a vehicle has no gasoline engine driving the wheels at all)... so given that... there really is a responsibility to the legend of this car to offer a three pedal manual on both Supra MKV engines.

That is, unless Toyota actually intends a stock 335-400hp DCT Supra to compete with a stock 600+hp DCT AWD R35 GTR. And they already said they haven't built the MKV to compete with the R35.

I really hope that Akio Toyoda and upper Toyota management got the message that given what this car represents and given the time in history in which it is being built... it would be foolish not to offer a high performance manual MKV. The buyers of this sportscar DO NOT care about integration with the Toyota Safety Sense standard and will not care if the cost of making that work with a manual in a low volume car is what ultimately prevented the Supra I6 turbo from having one.

I still think that Tetsuya Tada and his development team already knew this from the beginning but that the ultimate decisions are not always up to them. But maybe somehow the message got through to Toyota brass to reconsider the initial decision. My fingers are crossed.

However if you read the MKV forum thread on the DCT vs Manual debate, if indeed development on a manual version began late in the development phase it might possibly not be available right at the first model year launch date. I don't want to speculate on how that would work out though-- I just know that a lot of work goes into developing such an option and certifying it for sale. The U.S. crash standards are so draconian that an entire Supra (or two?) with a manual gearbox would have to be crash tested all over again to gain regulatory approval.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-11-18 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 09:41 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
All Supra's could be had with a manual transmission since 1979.
Not 1996 in California; only Auto due to emission regulation FUBAR.
Old 08-13-18, 07:30 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mk416
Not 1996 in California; only Auto due to emission regulation FUBAR.

Incorrect, 1997 was the last MY for the 6-speed in Cali. In 1998, it was no longer available.
Old 08-13-18, 07:46 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 281 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Incorrect, 1997 was the last MY for the 6-speed in Cali. In 1998, it was no longer available.
Maybe in Cali but for everywhere else the 6 speed was available in 1998. 1996 was the only year the 6 speed wasn’t available at all in the U.S. and then they brought it back and dropped the price $10k in 1997.
Old 08-13-18, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

i just never ever saw a last gen supra with stick.
Old 08-13-18, 08:19 PM
ST430
Pole Position

i just never ever saw a last gen supra with stick.
Definitely was available as I traded my 93' in for a 97'. I still have the original brochure as well!

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra