Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 08:30 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Still a hardcore purist. Always one and always will be.

I wanted this Supra to be Japanese. It was suppose to be the Japanese sports car. But what I got from reading a few of the reviews - its pretty much a BMW Sports car that is tuned by Toyota. If I was going to buy a Toyota with BMW reliability, I would buy a BMW.

And to add insult to injury - the rumor price is in the 63K. Like damn. That's BMW M2 Comp Pack money and that thing comes with a 6MT. Like I said before, purist of the Toyota/Supra name will bail because they don't want a German Supra. And German petrol-heads will probably just buy a BMW M2.
Well per the article, Toyota engineers are saying that this car has not been finalized yet, so hold on to your lunches...
Old 09-20-18, 08:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
One would think that even for service, they'd just have you take it to BMW? How would a Toyota dealership be setup (physically, i.e. equipment to include software that uploads to Munich) to work on what's essentially a BMW? The techs would be like pelicans hanging around Wanchese Harbor.
Lexus dealerships service all makes and models now. I would think the same is true for Toyota dealerships.
Old 09-20-18, 09:33 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Well per the article, Toyota engineers are saying that this car has not been finalized yet, so hold on to your lunches...
Yup. I heard the car isn't finalized yet. But what else can they do to make it "more Japanese Supra" though? I believe - what they mean by not finalized - is that they are still working on the tune. Everything else is set in stone though.

It'll be a Supra with a BMW Engine, BMW Chassis, BMW infotainment system, BMW interior, BMW tranmission and etc... The only thing Toyota Supra about it is the name, design and the tune of the engine. Its still a German Supra at the end of the day to me which is the part that is hard to stomach.
This is why I think purist will stay away and German car shoppers will stay BMW.
Old 09-20-18, 09:46 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They are saying it feels about as quick as 335hp BMW cars so in 20 years it gained 15hp. Definitely is not the Corvette/911 killer/competitor it used to be, won't even be able to compete with 8 cylinder Mustangs or Camaro's now. From what I am reading and seeing they really shouldn't have bothered.
Old 09-20-18, 10:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

HOWEVER!

The rear needs to be wider. Ain't nobody like small, caved-in ***. Show me some of that iconic Latina-size rear-end please!
Yessssssssssssssssss! Agree 100%, Colombian rear-end plz, LOL!

Old 09-20-18, 11:25 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Yup. I heard the car isn't finalized yet. But what else can they do to make it "more Japanese Supra" though? I believe - what they mean by not finalized - is that they are still working on the tune. Everything else is set in stone though.

It'll be a Supra with a BMW Engine, BMW Chassis, BMW infotainment system, BMW interior, BMW tranmission and etc... The only thing Toyota Supra about it is the name, design and the tune of the engine. Its still a German Supra at the end of the day to me which is the part that is hard to stomach.
This is why I think purist will stay away and German car shoppers will stay BMW.
I want to believe that the interior/exterior parts were just for the purpose of having a functional model that's pretty close to the production model; this demonstration is to get feedback for performance.

I mean, I reallllly don't think they will put a BMW shift **** on a Toyota even if the transmission is sourced from Germany...
Old 09-20-18, 12:09 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
They are saying it feels about as quick as 335hp BMW cars so in 20 years it gained 15hp. Definitely is not the Corvette/911 killer/competitor it used to be, won't even be able to compete with 8 cylinder Mustangs or Camaro's now. From what I am reading and seeing they really shouldn't have bothered.
Agreed seems like it's up to the aftermarket to get the power and performance up. Will be curious to see what they do, I'm sure once released the limits of the stock motor and drivetrain will be found. For the R35 GTR it's 600HP/600TQ before going built, for MKIV Supra I would say 850HP/650TQ are limits. If tuners can get this new BMYota up to 600/600 with tune and bolt on parts it may be a good thing.
Old 09-20-18, 12:37 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I want to believe that the interior/exterior parts were just for the purpose of having a functional model that's pretty close to the production model; this demonstration is to get feedback for performance.

I mean, I reallllly don't think they will put a BMW shift **** on a Toyota even if the transmission is sourced from Germany...

This is the spy spot of the Toyota Supra interior. The interior looks pretty much done. As you can clearly see - the transmission lever (E-Gear) looks like its from BMW. Its also looks like the Supra will be using the BMW iDrive as well.

Like I said - the only thing Toyota Supra about this Supra is that its the name, the design and its tuned by Toyota.
Old 09-20-18, 12:43 PM
situman
Pole Position

If the rumored $63k retail price is true, they certainly believe they can be a killer/competitor to the Corvette and 911.
Old 09-20-18, 03:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

But what I got from reading a few of the reviews - its pretty much a BMW Sports car that is tuned by Toyota.
yup, what i said a bit back here...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seems like it's a bmw pretty through and through, with toyota software for the engine.
it will still no doubt be a great car, but i find the brand dilution a really crazy way to go... but the bean counters are happy.
Old 09-20-18, 04:00 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, what i said a bit back here...
it will still no doubt be a great car, but i find the brand dilution a really crazy way to go... but the bean counters are happy.
Ahh! I didn't know you said that but agreed.

Its still a great car. Not knocking the car itself. Its just the branding is out of whack. I wouldn't have a problem if they don't call this the Supra. I'm still hoping they don't call it a Supra because in theory - its not a Supra. Its a BMW.
Old 09-20-18, 04:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
If the rumored $63k retail price is true, they certainly believe they can be a killer/competitor to the Corvette and 911.
Not with that horsepower rumors and testers are saying it feels like, around 335-360hp at most. Corvette has 455hp base, last Supra and Corvette had around the same power in the 90's when it debuted and the Supra was quicker, handled better, and was a much nicer car. 63K price tag will ensure sales are rare, rarer then the last Supra and this one is no looker either judging by its profile and what it is based on. If it had LC500 looks and proportions like it should have had then it could sell more on looks but this thing looks like what it is based on, a hard top relatively entry level roadster.
Old 09-20-18, 07:55 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
if you were driving specs and not cars, i would say you are right... But you are not, lol.

4.5s 0-60 is nice... if it is true that they changed the materials for stronger engine, higher tuning options, this car will be a beast.
Driving cars? Well now, check out these reviews when the 370Z Nismo was released back in 2009:

First Drive: 2010 Nissan 370Z Nismo simply rocks

C'mon, Try Me: From Boy-Racer to Ground-Effects Track Car

Putting adventure on the table.

P.S. A RWD sports car without a mechanical LSD is not a sports car, end of discussion.

Old 09-20-18, 08:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
P.S. A RWD sports car without a mechanical LSD is not a sports car, end of discussion.
i believe most 911s and i think maybe even bmw m3's did not offer a mechanical lsd. i believe at least 911's do now. were they not sports cars?

but i get your point because an lsd is awesome. new electronic ones can be at least as effective from what i've read so to me it doesn't have to be mechanical, but maybe i misunderstood the pros/cons.
Old 09-21-18, 07:01 AM
situman
Pole Position

Not with that horsepower rumors and testers are saying it feels like, around 335-360hp at most. Corvette has 455hp base, last Supra and Corvette had around the same power in the 90's when it debuted and the Supra was quicker, handled better, and was a much nicer car. 63K price tag will ensure sales are rare, rarer then the last Supra and this one is no looker either judging by its profile and what it is based on. If it had LC500 looks and proportions like it should have had then it could sell more on looks but this thing looks like what it is based on, a hard top relatively entry level roadster.
I agree. So far, Toyota and Lexus sports cars are not great values. Even looks can only get you so far as evident by the tanking sales of the LC in its second yr on the market.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra