Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 02:09 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sadly i agree, and have said so, spectacular though the lfa was.

me either. except for seeing one (and getting an amazing ride along with scott pruitt) at a lexus event in s. florida.
you can list me as someone you "know" who's seen one haha

sounded SO damn awesome and driving along with other cars it really looks the part too. but yea despite technically being a great deal even at $400,000 it's still just so much for "a nice toyota" that only very few have the will and the means to buy one.
Old 10-02-18, 06:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

sounded SO damn awesome and driving along with other cars it really looks the part too. but yea despite technically being a great deal even at $400,000 it's still just so much for "a nice toyota" that only very few have the will and the means to buy one.
I have the will, just not the means to buy one. And I dont even care if a current M5 can outrun me in a straight line.
Old 10-02-18, 09:58 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I have the will, just not the means to buy one. And I dont even care if a current M5 can outrun me in a straight line.
well i certainly have the will to buy one too... it's that 2nd part which determines whether or not it's possible though lol

and yea i also am not concerned that it won't win every drag race, that's not the point
Old 10-02-18, 11:14 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

2019 Toyota Supra to be revealed at the Detroit Auto Show

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/02/...oit-auto-show/
Old 10-02-18, 12:00 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Yup 3 month wait.
Old 10-02-18, 02:33 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I currently own a BRZ which i still enjoy driving and would love to upgrade to a Supra BUT it needs to have a manual.

I disagree M2 is a different segment.
They both will have turbo inline 6s and will weigh within 250lbs of each other. They are similar in legth and size. The Supra has better chassis but M2 has better engine, suspension, brakes, and can be used as a regular car as it has back seats and trunk.
People crosshop Cayman and M2 all the time. Unless track weekly both are good cars for occasional run.
Also there are other cars that are very attractive in this price range ($50-100k) for someone looking at a fun weekend car and has $$$ to waste:
1) 911T
2) Corvette
3) GTR
4) Cayman
5) M2 Competition
6) Shelby GT350
7) M3/4
8) Camaro SS 1LE

What concerns me about the 1st reviews about the Supra is its not hardcore enough.
The tuning on it is softer than on Z4. For a weekend car people want a beast and emotional experience not a quiet Camry.
Pricing needs to be in $50s at most.

That's a strange eclectic mix of cars there. I guess I need to ask you why you bought a slow BRZ when you could of gotten a ND Miata or a Mustang / Camaro or the like that can outrun them? Isn't that the same "segment"? To me the Toyoburu twins should of costed more than 20k Max, especially with anemic h4...
Old 10-03-18, 07:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
That's a strange eclectic mix of cars there. I guess I need to ask you why you bought a slow BRZ when you could of gotten a ND Miata or a Mustang / Camaro or the like that can outrun them? Isn't that the same "segment"? To me the Toyoburu twins should of costed more than 20k Max, especially with anemic h4...
BRZ is a special car that is very roomy and comfortable inside. It has the perfect driving position. All the important stuff- steering wheel, shifter, seats are perfectly placed and extremely well executed.
I have sat and driven many sports cars and most of them have HUGE compromises like nowhere to place your left foot, bad visibility, no headroom etc.
BRZ is for pure driving experience not for drag racing. It weighs 2700-2800lbs and is an absolute pleasure to drive. It offers a completely different experience than my M3.

Miata - i dont like convertibles, how it looks and i felt like a clown sitting in it. Its much smaller than a BRZ.
Mustang - Driven and sat in them. It feels your sitting and driving a boat. You sit very high, the interior doesnt wrap aroun you, seating position is poor, I can’t see over the hood.
Camaro - complete joke, cant see anything.
Corvette - I really like and still considering getting a GranSport. Really looking forward to the C8.

The only car that compares to BRZ seating position is a 911.

My M3 also has amazing seating position and all the controls are perfectly placed.

Just by your comments you sound like you never driven a BRZ - please go to a dealer and test drive one on a backroad, I guarantee you will have a smile on your face and be impressed.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-03-18 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 11:39 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

BRZ is a special car that is very roomy and comfortable inside. It has the perfect driving position. All the important stuff- steering wheel, shifter, seats are perfectly placed and extremely well executed.
I have sat and driven many sports cars and most of them have HUGE compromises like nowhere to place your left foot, bad visibility, no headroom etc.
BRZ is for pure driving experience not for drag racing. It weighs 2700-2800lbs and is an absolute pleasure to drive. It offers a completely different experience than my M3.

Miata - i dont like convertibles, how it looks and i felt like a clown sitting in it. Its much smaller than a BRZ.
Mustang - Driven and sat in them. It feels your sitting and driving a boat. You sit very high, the interior doesnt wrap aroun you, seating position is poor, I can’t see over the hood.
Camaro - complete joke, cant see anything.
Corvette - I really like and still considering getting a GranSport. Really looking forward to the C8.

The only car that compares to BRZ seating position is a 911.

My M3 also has amazing seating position and all the controls are perfectly placed.

Just by your comments you sound like you never driven a BRZ - please go to a dealer and test drive one on a backroad, I guarantee you will have a smile on your face and be impressed.
So all I gathered from your rant is that you care about seating position more than anything. If that's the case, you should of bought an older NSX (which as one of the best race car like feel seating positions) or buy a Miata or Mustang and replace the stocks with aftermarket seats. Or heck, why not an Alfa Romeo 4C while we're at it.

Which leads me to your original post on the Supra how it wouldn't stack up on the competition that is 10-$50k more than it; it doesn't need to be. Just like BRZ, it has its own niche and that's the beauty of it. So, if a present Supra MIKV owner believes it is a wonderful car in it's own right, then I believe him.

PS - I have driven the FRS extensively and almost bought it, with the intention to mod it with a JR SC to make up for it's anemic engine. If you think the car is a thrilling, you should drive a MR2 in any of it's previous incarnations. It will put the FRS/BRZ to shame.

Old 10-04-18, 10:34 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ST430
So all I gathered from your rant is that you care about seating position more than anything. If that's the case, you should of bought an older NSX (which as one of the best race car like feel seating positions) or buy a Miata or Mustang and replace the stocks with aftermarket seats. Or heck, why not an Alfa Romeo 4C while we're at it.

Which leads me to your original post on the Supra how it wouldn't stack up on the competition that is 10-$50k more than it; it doesn't need to be. Just like BRZ, it has its own niche and that's the beauty of it. So, if a present Supra MIKV owner believes it is a wonderful car in it's own right, then I believe him.

PS - I have driven the FRS extensively and almost bought it, with the intention to mod it with a JR SC to make up for it's anemic engine. If you think the car is a thrilling, you should drive a MR2 in any of it's previous incarnations. It will put the FRS/BRZ to shame.

How was my post a rant? lol

Show me a 1st gen NSX for $30k thats not beat up or has over 100k miles. I will consider buying it!
MR2 / S2000 - zero interest.
Alfa 4C is a joke - it’s uncomfortable for even a 5ft tall person.
Mustang - it weighs 4,000lbs compared to 2,800 for BRZ. that is HUGE.

BRZ/86 have plenty of mods that make it fast without having to go FI.
Headers, full exhaust and a tune solve most of the torque dip.

BRZ/86 will be around for next 20-30years for tuner crowd like the 240sx.
Toyota/ Subaru should be commanded for developing it.
2800 lbs, RWD, manual, comfort, great seating position, drives like a go cart. True enthusiasts appreciate it.
Supra shares same priciples exept for manual but it is much more capable.
BRZ makes you work for it.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-04-18 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-04-18, 10:44 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a few pics of mine:

Old 10-24-18, 11:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2019 Toyota Supra interior, engine spied mostly uncovered

Though still BMW Z4-based, the Supra's interior is unique

In the lead-up to the 2019 Toyota Supra debut, it has seemed like only the exterior styling made it something other than just a hardtop version of the BMW Z4. It uses the same turbocharged inline-six, the same transmission, and early spy shots indicated the interior might even be the same. But we've learned there may be more differences between the two cars than we expected, and these latest photos of the reborn flagship Toyota sports car further that idea. They show that the Supra does in fact have a unique interior, albeit one with strong BMW influence.

The main differences are in the gauge cluster and dashboard. The Z4 uses a flat screen for its instrument cluster, and it has slightly geometric digital dials that fit the contours of the instrument panel hood. In the Supra, the instruments are dominated by a huge dial for the tachometer, which is sure to please enthusiasts. Nestled in the middle of the tach is an information screen of some sort, and another screen is on the left displaying speed. On either side of all these gauges are simple digital bars that indicate things such as fuel level and coolant temperature.

Old 10-24-18, 11:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

That engine bay is a rats nest holy crap.
Old 10-24-18, 11:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
kinda makes electric cars look appealing. (and faster )

Old 10-24-18, 11:52 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm sure it will have a nice engine cover when complete. it looks difficult to work on IMO. get your DMM and oscilloscope handy. gl toyota master techs
Old 10-24-18, 11:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Yup ha ha no such thing as a simple job with that.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra