Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19 | 03:45 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i see comments like this a lot, but i think a tesla 3 could beat it... electric cars really are a game changer in terms of performance.
On 0-60 yes electric cars will kill most but mid to top end runs they won't.
Old 01-14-19 | 04:23 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

ok so this is basically a bmw with toyota body panels and tuning. nothing wrong with that, it's a bit like the alfa romeo version of the miata.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, pretty much.
No offense. Then you two are too old to understand why this Supra is important to stay Japanese. This BMW-Supra is a cheapen way out. Toyota should have engineered the Supra from the ground up. This is literally, like it was mentioned here, a detuned BMW Z4.

I would not get this Toyota Supra over the BMW M340i or BMW M2.
For the M340i, I get the faster engine, 2 more seats and the badge for less probably. The Toyota Supra will probably be marked up.

and yet millions of people throughout the world include many friends of mine thoroughly enjoy their german cars long out of warranty with no 'nightmares'.
Please. Lets be fair about this. BMW reliability is utter trash. Audi and Porsche are okay. But BMW and MB are not good. Their electrical parts fail first and fail often. And guess what? This Toyota Supra has BMW electrical wiring...

Originally Posted by Kense
You're obviously doing something wrong.

Vehicle Details

M2 Competition

3.0-liter BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology inline 6-cylinder Rear-wheel drive
  • STANDARD FEATURES
  • BASE MSRP$58,900
  • COLORBlack Sapphire Metallic$550
  • WHEELS19" M Forged Black Y-Spoke Wheels Style 788 M with Mixed Performance Tires
  • UPHOLSTERYBlack Dakota Leather with blue stitching
  • TRIMCarbon Fiber Interior Trim
  • PACKAGES + OPTIONS
    Executive Package$1,200
    M Double-clutch Transmission with Drivelogic$2,900
    M Driver's Package$2,500
    Moonroof$1,050
  • DESTINATION + HANDLING$995
  • TOTAL MSRP as Built$68,095
Fixed it for you.
Real MRSP: $61,645

1) Moonroof is not a good option on a track car like the BMW M2. It makes the car less rigid.
2) Auto? On a BMW M2? Popular option is stick.
3) M Driver package is driving school and speed limit increase. AKA: useless.

You fully loaded a BMW M2 to prove that the Supra cost less. The fact is - no one buy those BMW M2s.

Old 01-14-19 | 04:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Their partnership with BMW not sure true reasons my guess is they wanted to keep an Inline 6 turbo because of the history and they didn't have their own already. Developing an engine from scratch may have been too costly for them especially when their focus is on the CUV market and how many other cars could you share the I6 with in the Toyota line. So hence the partnership. I would have rather them use the 3.5 TTV6 from LS500 with a DCT trans but it is what it is.
You are likely correct about the reasons Toyota didn't want to build the car from scratch, however Toyota is swimming in cash. As for it having a V6 heck no such a car would not be a Supra in any way. As it is the car is not really a Supra IMO.
Old 01-14-19 | 04:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

i see comments like this a lot, but i think a tesla 3 could beat it... electric cars really are a game changer in terms of performance.
0-60 and 1/4 mile the Supra probably has no chance plus the 3 will likely be even faster with sticky tires.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...etting.138284/

Old 01-14-19 | 04:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by plex
Their partnership with BMW not sure true reasons my guess is they wanted to keep an Inline 6 turbo because of the history and they didn't have their own already. Developing an engine from scratch may have been too costly for them especially when their focus is on the CUV market and how many other cars could you share the I6 with in the Toyota line. So hence the partnership. I would have rather them use the 3.5 TTV6 from LS500 with a DCT trans but it is what it is.
You're right, why wouldn't they just drop the brand new TTV6 from the LS in there? I'm sure it could be tuned for the Supra application.

BMW makes sweetheart engines but they are unreliable on a good day and flat garbage, junk on a bad day. I wouldn't trust a turbo BMW motor with 50k on it.
Old 01-14-19 | 05:34 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJT123
You're right, why wouldn't they just drop the brand new TTV6 from the LS in there? I'm sure it could be tuned for the Supra application.

BMW makes sweetheart engines but they are unreliable on a good day and flat garbage, junk on a bad day. I wouldn't trust a turbo BMW motor with 50k on it.
cause it wouldn't fit and it's too heavy?
Old 01-14-19 | 05:58 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pman6
my god, that's a fake door vent, and they couldn't make the whole door one piece.
HAHA...a real shame....this is an abomination, there's no point in defending Toyota on this epic failure of a car. I was hoping Jill was wrong lol but she was right. Epic failure. The BMW interior is a slap in the face, i mean, there's no Toyota here, it's straight up BMW. Buy a BRZ/FRS and supercharge it or get an M2. This is a poseur mobile....

I mean we waited two decade for this...SMH...
Old 01-14-19 | 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But then you have to drive a Tesla Model 3...
Old 01-14-19 | 06:14 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by venom21
BMW engine, BMW electrics, BMW interior, man this thing is going to be a nightmare out of warranty.
Not entirely. Toyota used their own engine ECU, not BMW’s. The turbo is Toyota’s. They also spent R&D dollars going through and improving upon the weak or failure prone parts in BMW’s engine. They just saved tremendously by not investing hundreds of millions of dollars designing their own new I-6 engine that would only ever be used in one of their models.

Then again... this is only the regular model available at launch, not the GRMN model that will be released later with a LOT of Toyota specific tuning.

The interior... I’m not happy with it but I can understand if the reason it’s not changed much if at all is to have used what worked so as to focus on the chassis, suspension and driveline improvements.

Toyota tested the BMW sourced parts used on this car well beyond what BMW engineers were used to, raising their eyebrows. That should suggest it’s far more than a rebadge job.

Toyota wanted an I-6 and a customized platform for JUST this model alone but they didn’t have either in their stable. The Z4 may share the platform with the Supra but it is a new platform they co-developed together from the ground up.
Old 01-14-19 | 06:22 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kense
You said a full loaded M2 with all options tops out at $64,500. Whether you think those options are worth it or not doesn't matter. Some people want them. You're not getting an M2 Comp for 64K.
$61K. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...CarId=1de5ea71
Old 01-14-19 | 06:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Why didn't Lexus make a coupe and the Toyota Supra based on that like they did before? Helps spread out the R&D costs.
Old 01-14-19 | 06:28 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Funny thing, the same kind of comments came when the MKIV premiered : what's with the hideous wing? And the insect headlights? And only 320bhp....de ja Vu.

Hopefully more people dislike it, so I can pick mine up under MSRP (unlikely, I know). My Q60 will then be my DD and the Supra can be my weekend / track car...
Old 01-14-19 | 06:36 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
BMW Agreed to this alliance as long as Z4 is top dog.

Yeah... for the more common Supra GR’s that is

I honestly had hopes Toyota would make custom block or heads, something- get Yamaha involved.
To slap on a detuned version of BMWs motor is just weak and lazy.
Oh.... but Yamaha IS involved Just not with the regular 335hp I-6 Supras. They’re involved with tuning the GRMN models that are using the 380hp B58 as a basis... with a CGI iron block... and a strong ZF 6-speed manual.

A 0-60 of 4.1 seconds from the launch Supras with the ZF 8HP autos is pretty damn good actually. Compare that to the stock 0-60 of 5.1 seconds from the old A80 TT 6-speed Supras.

The launch Supra A90 is NOT going to be the most impressive A90. But this one isn’t a bad car at all.

Right now, at the onset, the main issue is that they don’t have the manual transmission ready for the model year one Supra GR’s, let alone the GRMN’s.

For me, that omission alone, until it is corrected, is enough to make an excellent BMW M2 Competition 6MT much more attractive. Which is a shame but as rare as manuals are getting today I'd not consider an automatic in a sports car no matter how superior it’s supposed to be.

Once Toyota corrects this with a 6-speed manual on the Base models on up to the highest performance trim, I'll consider it totally worth it. They will, but for now it’s auto-only.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-14-19 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-14-19 | 06:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
Funny thing, the same kind of comments came when the MKIV premiered : what's with the hideous wing? And the insect headlights? And only 320bhp....de ja Vu.
It didn't take long for people to realize how great the car actually was, plus Toyota lied about the hp.

Old 01-14-19 | 06:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
No offense. Then you two are too old to understand why this Supra is important to stay Japanese. This BMW-Supra is a cheapen way out. Toyota should have engineered the Supra from the ground up. This is literally, like it was mentioned here, a detuned BMW Z4.
None taken... but i completely understand your point about why it should have stayed japanese in an ideal world. But it didn’t and i was trying to say something nice while there will be critics saying it’s not a ‘true’ supra, there will be lots of fans too.

Please. Lets be fair about this. BMW reliability is utter trash.
I don’t agree with that extreme characterization, but parts and service are certainly expensive out of warranty but they are for all high end brands.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra