Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Then don't make the car at all.
But they wanted to make the car and they can sell the car and make money.

Remember, this is a business thats designed to make money. We'd love to think carmakers should only make awesome cars and make them as well as they can, but thats just not reality. People will buy this car, and sharing the design and the assembly with Toyota they'll have good margins on it.
Old 01-14-19, 09:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is most certainly my next car. Don't know why so many complaints, but this is a perfect coupe.
Old 01-15-19, 04:23 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This is most certainly my next car. Don't know why so many complaints, but this is a perfect coupe.
Good to hear be sure to make a thread etc....a lot of the complaints seem to be people just repeating what others say. I'm optimistic about this car and don't want it to fail.
Old 01-15-19, 05:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I believed all these rumors about iron block etc and Really had my hopes up.
This is a detuned Z4 coupe with fake vents and Toyota badge & dealer service.

This magical GRMN version will never come and if it does will be limited to 100 units!

Great article from Autoblog on Supra disappointment.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/14/...021&yptr=yahoo

Since you love BMW so much that you posted many times in the thread how you would get BMW, you can also look at it as better handling, lighter and 15k cheaper version of z4.

Seems perfect coupe for BMW fans, that prefer road and track manners over hairdresser convertible.

Otherwise I am pretty surprised how different they look inside, even if all electronics are from BMWs, interior is actually very different.
Old 01-15-19, 06:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Since you love BMW so much that you posted many times in the thread how you would get BMW, you can also look at it as better handling, lighter and 15k cheaper version of z4.

Seems perfect coupe for BMW fans, that prefer road and track manners over hairdresser convertible.

Otherwise I am pretty surprised how different they look inside, even if all electronics are from BMWs, interior is actually very different.
Thats exactly how I view the new Supra - a perfect rwd BMW coupe. Since the bloated M4 has utterly lost its edge, the only interesting coupe in BMW's line up is the M2, and even then its faith is not clear. The new Supra seems to be a perfect choice for those of who want a small and nimble coupe that is true to BMW roots.
Old 01-15-19, 07:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

toyota trying to hard to keep this an inline 6 i think is its downfall. Things were set in motion a long time ago but imagine if this had the 3.5 V6TT from the LS500 and future ISF making 416 hp 442 torque, it can even be tuned up over the LS500 specs. A far more appropriate engine and it would be more of a toyota. An ancient 370Z made 335 hp, just not the torque. A Q60 Red Sport makes 400 already from a 3.0 V6TT. As of now the paper specs of the engine are lackluster. Unless its hiding something, that remains to be seen.

Now one buys a toyota but has to pay BMW tax on parts, potentially have the most unreliable toyota since this car is mainly BMW. But hey maybe BMW owners can start buying shared parts at the Toyota dealer.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-15-19 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 07:31 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
toyota trying to hard to keep this an inline 6 i think is its downfall. Things were set in motion a long time ago but imagine if this had the 3.5 V6TT from the LS500 and future ISF making 416 hp 442 torque, it can even be tuned up over the LS500 specs. A far more appropriate engine and it would be more of a toyota. An ancient 370Z made 335 hp, just not the torque. A Q60 Red Sport makes 400 already from a 3.0 V6TT. As of now the paper specs of the engine are lackluster. Unless its hiding something, that remains to be seen
I agree - the V6TT from LS500 would be a phenomenal fit in the Supra. Toyota probably was worried about pricing or maybe the V6TT was exclusively for Lexus, but the Supra is such a vaunted name I don't think the market would react negatively if it was priced higher than what they're wanting to sell it for...
Old 01-15-19, 08:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I’m a HUGE Supra fan. I don’t fault Toyota for partnering with BMW but I hoped it would be an equal partnership like BRZ/86 project with Subaru.
Plus I believed the rumors of the iron block and Yamaha involvement etc.

In the end we got a detuned B58 engine that is not SPECIAL enough to be in a SUPRA. Its the same exact motor thats in your everyday Vanilla X5 and 540i!

The styling is very busy on the sides with the idiotic side door vent.
I do LIKE the front and rear.
The interior is not at all what SUPRA is about.
Add the fact there is no manual transmission option - this is just big disappointment for me personally bec im ready to upgrade my BRZ.....

If i was going to add another BMW - i would pick the M2 over this every time but i wanted a Supra lol

Also the other BMW that ppl are forgetting is the M240i which has the same exact engine, cheaper, and offers manual. I just want something more hardcore and special.

Old 01-15-19, 09:45 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I, too, do not fault Toyota for partnering with BMW on the i6 drivetrain. Nothing wrong with partnering with the best i6 engine manufacturer imo, it's like asking Samsung to spin their own Snapdragon for their Galaxy phone. It probably saved them hundreds of millions in research, development, engineering, testing etc in developing a new I6. They do have the 2JZGE and GTE to leverage from, but even then, there would still be a great deal of manhours converting everything to the new solidworks, not to mention all the firmware they would need to convert from assembly to the new RTOS(es) etc for all the latest and greatest control modules.
Old 01-15-19, 09:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I’m a HUGE Supra fan. I don’t fault Toyota for partnering with BMW but I hoped it would be an equal partnership like BRZ/86 project with Subaru.
Plus I believed the rumors of the iron block and Yamaha involvement etc.

In the end we got a detuned B58 engine that is not SPECIAL enough to be in a SUPRA. Its the same exact motor thats in your everyday Vanilla X5 and 540i!

The styling is very busy on the sides with the idiotic side door vent.
I do LIKE the front and rear.
The interior is not at all what SUPRA is about.
Add the fact there is no manual transmission option - this is just big disappointment for me personally bec im ready to upgrade my BRZ.....

If i was going to add another BMW - i would pick the M2 over this every time but i wanted a Supra lol

Also the other BMW that ppl are forgetting is the M240i which has the same exact engine, cheaper, and offers manual. I just want something more hardcore and special.

many BMWs offer same engine, i suggest you wait until you drive one to make determination if the car is special or not.
As to the engine, Toyota simply opted to get version with particle filter that BMW also gets for the Europe.

Old 01-15-19, 11:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

many BMWs offer same engine, i suggest you wait until you drive one to make determination if the car is special or not.
As to the engine, Toyota simply opted to get version with particle filter that BMW also gets for the Europe.
This is incorrect. The particulate filter is NOT related to the updated B58 inline 6. See link below for technical info on the update.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/31/b...88-horsepower/

The updated B58 comes in 2 states of tune.
The Lower one is 335hp and used in everyday non-sporty applications such as new X5.
The High output version is intended only for Mperformance models such as new M340i and Z4 M40i.
X3 and x4 M40i will get it for 2020MY.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-15-19 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 12:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i think in the end if it doesnt sell well toyota will still not have lost much being since its mostly a BMW car. Toyota did their own exterior and pay some royalties to BMW. So they wont bear anywhere near 100% of the total cost
Old 01-15-19, 01:30 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thats exactly how I view the new Supra - a perfect rwd BMW coupe. Since the bloated M4 has utterly lost its edge, the only interesting coupe in BMW's line up is the M2, and even then its faith is not clear. The new Supra seems to be a perfect choice for those of who want a small and nimble coupe that is true to BMW roots.
I'm sorry then you don't know jack about the Supra. To call a Supra a perfect BMW coupe to BMW roots is disregarding the history and the fan-base the Supra name carries. Its insulting to the Supra name that you would even relate it to a BMW.

The problem with the Toyota Supra Mark 5 is not is not Japanese enough nor Supra enough. The problem is - once you strip off the exterior design and Toyota/Supra badges - its a BMW Z4 hard top.
Hell - I would even accepted the Toyota Supra Mark 5 if Toyota just did their own interior design.

Side note: Imagine if the Nissan GTR R35, one of the greatest sports car ever made (legend), was made in Germany, had a BMW M5 engine, BMW transmission, BMW chassis, and BMW interior? How would the GTR fan-base feel? They would riot like the Supra fan-base is now.

The Nissan GTR R36 is rumored to be a hybrid with the engine 100% hand-made in Japan with Nissan engineers. Nissan is the only car company that did the rebirth of their sports car right. The Honda and Toyota royalty F'd up.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 01-15-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I'm sorry then you don't know jack about the Supra. To call a Supra a perfect BMW coupe to BMW roots is disregarding the history and the fan-base the Supra name carries. Its insulting to the Supra name that you would even relate it to a BMW.

The problem with the Toyota Supra Mark 5 is not is not Japanese enough nor Supra enough. The problem is - once you strip off the exterior design and Toyota/Supra badges - its a BMW Z4 hard top.
Hell - I would even accepted the Toyota Supra Mark 5 if Toyota just did their own interior design.
I agree. I am starting to like the styling. Howeve, it’s a BMW at heart.
Old 01-15-19, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I'm pretty sure he said very clearly "I view THIS NEW SUPRA..."

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra