Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 05:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The 340i is a sedan, and they are dollar a bucket here in NYC. The Supra is going to be rare and a million times cooler.
Only issue is the new M340i will have 382hp and AWD - it will walk your SUPRA all day long.
Old 01-15-19, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Exactly, people buy coupes for the cool factor. I personally don't even care for performance all that much, as long as its potent and fun to drive.
Ditto

Originally Posted by AJT123
No way this Supra is "cooler" streetwise than an M340i, IMO at least. I'm not really a BMW guy but the cachet is there. If you could have a heavily loaded 3 series for the same money I'd pick the Bimmer.
?! An M340i doesn't turn any heads, its an entry level sports sedan, they're everywhere. This is eye catching and its going to be really rare...way cooler.

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Okay. If you think most people don't care, then why are majority of the people are hating it? Seems to me only less than a handful of you actually like it.
People on here hate everything. If you look at the vast majority of new car threads, most people hate the car the thread is about.

With all due respect Steve, that's a slippery slope argument and it just fell flat. My point was because the Toyota Supra and the BMW M340i share the same engine and parts. If the BMW M340i handles, drives, and more powerful than a Supra, why not get something that has 2 more seats and doors?
If I wanted something with another row of seats and another set of doors I wouldn't even be looking at a Supra. If I was going to buy something like this Supra, it would be as a fun third weekend car. Why would I buy an entry level sport sedan?!? Makes no sense.

Cars I would consider are this, an RC-F, a Porsche 718 or spendier a 911 or an LC500. I'd even consider a Miata or Fiat 124 to get something cheap and fun. I'm not looking for a sedan.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Are you serious?

The Supra NAME is the only thing TOYOTA has that is cool or performance related.
The Supra NAME is the only reason why ppl even paid attention for past 5years while this thing was developed.

To a lot of ppl with $$$ to buy this and who are enthusiasts - Supra has a strong meaning.
And I don't really see what the big deal here is...do I care about the name "Supra"? Not really.

Only issue is the new M340i will have 382hp and AWD - it will walk your SUPRA all day long.
Happy with the size of my *****, thanks.
Old 01-15-19, 05:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Ditto
?! An M340i doesn't turn any heads, its an entry level sports sedan, they're everywhere. This is eye catching and its going to be really rare...way cooler.
M340i isn't entry level, it's a loaded out 3 series. That's the one I'd pick if I were looking for a new car and in that budget. If we are talking base model 3 series with 4 cyl and leatherette vs this new Supra it's a different story.

Maybe "cooler" because the Supra is rarer, sure. I'd still pick the BMW.
Old 01-15-19, 05:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

most people dont care about the internal firmware, hardware, electrical components nor who developed them.. e.g. your smartphone take a look at all the made in china parts in the BOM. the Supra name will sell. It's curious that they used the same logo as the MK4 or is it? same same but different but still the same lol I'd love to own this and the last 2 generation supras
Old 01-15-19, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

M340i isn't entry level, it's a loaded out 3 series. That's the one I'd pick if I were looking for a new car and in that budget. If we are talking base model 3 series with 4 cyl and leatherette vs this new Supra it's a different story.

Maybe "cooler" because the Supra is rarer, sure. I'd still pick the BMW.
Then you're not a buyer for a car like the Supra. The 3 Series is an entry level sports sedan, regardless of the trim.

A 3 series would never even be on my radar alongside a Supra, nor would it be for any serious buyer for one.
Old 01-15-19, 06:04 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The 0-60 times favor Supra by .01 so getting walked not sure about that the 340i is obviously heavier considering the Supra makes less power.

I own a MKIV and I'm not as upset as many others here that don't own one or never owned one about the new MKV.
Old 01-15-19, 06:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then you're not a buyer for a car like the Supra. The 3 Series is an entry level sports sedan, regardless of the trim.

A 3 series would never even be on my radar alongside a Supra, nor would it be for any serious buyer for one.
Well, it kind of would be on mine since it has so much BMW dna. Also you really think a 60k 3 series is an "entry level" car? To me an entry level sports sedan would be an Accord Sport for 25k ish. A 380hp $60,000 3 series isn't entry level, to me at least.
Old 01-15-19, 06:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, it kind of would be on mine since it has so much BMW dna. Also you really think a 60k 3 series is an "entry level" car? To me an entry level sports sedan would be an Accord Sport for 25k ish. A 380hp $60,000 3 series isn't entry level, to me at least.
Its still not the same sort of car. If you were comparing it to a 2 series or X4 that would be different, but even a 4 series is bigger, more of a grand tourer...but at least its a coupe. People don't traditionally cross shop sedans and coupes, different buyer demographics.

Is a $60,000 3 series entry level? Absolutely when you can buy a $100,000 5 Series. The 3 Series is BMW's entry level sport sedan, always has been. Just because they sell (or sold) a $70,000 IS-F doesn't mean the IS isn't Lexus entry level sedan.
Old 01-15-19, 06:26 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
Here is nice video on how this new Supra prioritized driving feel above all else. I would pick this over a BMW M240/340 or something like a C43 AMG in a heartbeat ! The real competition for this would be the Porsche Cayman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-BXpnAM0PQ
We'll know soon enough, though i highly doubt that now...
Old 01-15-19, 08:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just bec that applies to you - it is not true for everyone especially those that will spend $60k on a 2 seater with ZERO practicality.
I would have no issue if this was called Celica GT or something else but its NOT a real Supra in any way.
Nobody is buying the Supra for practicality - whoever buys it, its going to be their second or even third car. I specifically want a sporty coupe with as least practicality as possible, which is precisely why I chose the M2 over the M4.
Old 01-15-19, 08:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

And I am man enough not give give the slightest bit of pluck.
Old 01-15-19, 08:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The 340i is a great car in its own right, but it is apples and oranges with the Supra. The Supra will compete with M240i, M2, and to a degree with its Z4 sibling.
Old 01-15-19, 08:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Are you serious?

The Supra NAME is the only thing TOYOTA has that is cool or performance related.
The Supra NAME is the only reason why ppl even paid attention for past 5years while this thing was developed.

To a lot of ppl with $$$ to buy this and who are enthusiasts - Supra has a strong meaning.

I get what you're saying about the name and heritage, but given the fact that Toyota can't seems to design anything even remotely performance oriented for the last two decades, if it wasn't for BMW's involvement there wouldn't be a new Supra at all. Or worse yet, if Toyota decided to develop the new Supra all on their own, it would probably be a complete let down. So take it for what it is - proven BMW performance with stunning Supra styling and panache. The best of both worlds.
Old 01-15-19, 09:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

As a consumer in performance cars - i can say the overall reaction is Negative to this car.
Go on any forum or read what the auto journalists are saying.

If this had a Manual and an engine that was upgraded (irob block) in some way by Toyota/Yamaha, not detuned crap then myself and most car ppl would be all over it.
Again i dont mind BMW involvement but the Z4 is the better car of the 2, so why buy the copy with a worse warranty and less power? BMW basically neutered the Supra bec Z4 had to be superior.
Old 01-15-19, 09:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

As a consumer in performance cars - i can say the overall reaction is Negative to this car.
Go on any forum or read what the auto journalists are saying.

If this had a Manual and an engine that was upgraded (irob block) in some way by Toyota/Yamaha, not detuned crap then myself and most car ppl would be all over it.
Again i dont mind BMW involvement but the Z4 is the better car of the 2, so why buy the copy with a worse warranty and less power? BMW basically neutered the Supra bec Z4 had to be superior.
Well, the Z4 is a convertible, so it doesn't directly compare with the Supra. Most direct competitor is probably the m240i, but the Supra has more cool factor. Its a close comparison with the M2 when it comes to the cool factor, but M2 is going to be hard to get.

Perhaps its not a car for everyone, and it is not meant to be, but those who buy it are going to be very satisfied.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra