Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 12:03 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

<above>

He said to go and buy a BMW and try to get past 100k.

My cousin had a 1996 M3 and went 320k, and the car was mint body-wise when he sold it for $2800. I said I would take it, and he wouldn't sell it to me--it needed $4k worth of engine work. But the body was mint and it served him for a lot of miles (this was in 2008).

Now he has a 2003 M5 that has 275k, he got it in 2008. I remember when that car was new it was a big deal as 400 HP.

I totally get that as a general rule Toyotas are reliable. Knocking BMWs won't make them any more or less reliable. But you don't have to knock another car as being unreliable when you don't know it to be fact.
Old 01-18-19, 12:40 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

You guys at CL realize that BMW forums exist for owners of E30, E46, E39, E9x, hell even the ugly E60 5series.
Most of these cars are daily driven and have well over 100k.
Im not even talking about the F-generation cars.

I seee a ton of older bimmers on the road every day especially E9x, E46 3series and E39/E60 5series. Not to mention all the older X5s still running strong.
The car that had problems is the Bangle Butt 7series that had lots of new tech and introduced Idrive.
The N63 V8s also have issues. Besides that they are solid cars!
Old 01-18-19, 12:48 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You guys at CL realize that BMW forums exist for owners of E30, E46, E39, E9x, hell even the ugly E60 5series.

I seee a ton of older bimmers on the road every day especially E9x, E46 3series and E39/E60 5series. Not to mention all the older X5s still running strong.
The car that had problems is the Bangle Butt 7series that had lots of new tech and introduced Idrive.
You've been on these forums and have seen a lot of BMW bashing and ignorant statements. I have friends with various models of BMW's some with very high miles a lot of folks here focus on the negative aspects of anything not Lexus. Unfortunately that's their view and nothing not even reliability stats or actual feedback will change that.
Old 01-18-19, 12:51 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't give two shifts about reliability, I wont keep any car for more than 3 years anyway. Tech gets outdated too fast, and life is too short to drive an old car.
That's your call then. You should have opened with that instead of defending BMW's reliability track record with me.

Tech does get outdated way too fast. But I would never let tech stop me from buying a good car. If tech is one of your reasons to buy a car, the Toyota Supra Mark 5 is probably not your best bet, huh? It gets less BMW-tech than the Z4 as RNM RS3 said.

Life is too short to drive a boring car.**** I would drive a R32, R34, R35, Hakosuka, 01 or earlier NSX, MARK 4 Supra, E30 M3, E46 CSL, E92 M3 (V8), and etc... over any of the new trash that is coming out right now. So don't preach new is better.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
<above>

He said to go and buy a BMW and try to get past 100k.

My cousin had a 1996 M3 and went 320k, and the car was mint body-wise when he sold it for $2800. I said I would take it, and he wouldn't sell it to me--it needed $4k worth of engine work. But the body was mint and it served him for a lot of miles (this was in 2008).

Now he has a 2003 M5 that has 275k, he got it in 2008. I remember when that car was new it was a big deal as 400 HP.

I totally get that as a general rule Toyotas are reliable. Knocking BMWs won't make them any more or less reliable. But you don't have to knock another car as being unreliable when you don't know it to be fact.
What I mean is try to get the BMW pass 100K miles without problems.

My friend's parents has a 2005 X5 with 100K miles - constant oil leaks and coolant leaks.

My other friend owns a 2009 BMW 135i with less than 70K miles.
Current problems: oil leaks. Previous problems: Driver window won't go fully up, driver window switch broke, "angel eyes" (right side) went out (this was before 30K miles).

My other friend owns a 2010 BMW 335i with less than 50K miles. (He dailies a Prius)
Current problems: oil leaks.

My other friend (hardcore BMW enthusiast) owned a E36 M3, E92 335i, E46 M3, E92 M3, and currently a F80 M3 and a the BMW M2. He even works as a manager at the BMW dealership.
Straight out of the MF'er mouth: "I wouldn't own a new BMW out of warranty"
His E36 M3 and E46 M3 had tons of problems when we were in college.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 01-18-19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 01:07 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm glad that I own two Japanese, one German, and one American car. This is a tiny sample, but at least I've got skin in the game, and can really see that each forum that I'm on, is biased towards that brand, etc. I guess just human nature, people like to feel they made the right decision and a better one, I suppose. Generally speaking yes, Japanese cars are very reliable, that's been my experience. Are they as fun to drive? It's like eating salad every day--I have a coworker who started doing it and he's lost 11 lbs. His glucose was up to 16x and he's pre-diabetes. It's a great decision, but he's the first to admit he hates salad. He just wants to live longer. The salad is good for him. But does he hate people who drink beer and eat 24 wings to get started, when we're on the road together? No. At least he didn't say he hated me.
Old 01-18-19, 02:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
"I wont keep any car for more than 3 years anyway" - - Very common thing these days which is why leases are prevalent today
"Tech gets outdated too fast" - - Yes
"Life is too short to drive an old car" - - What about people who enjoy their classics? ex. 1930s-1960s
Nothing wrong with enjoying a classic, but not for daily driving.
Old 01-18-19, 02:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Are BMWs as reliable as a Camry- NO
But they are not POS cars. They are above average for Reliability and some models are bulletproof.
I’m actually surprised there are no issues with all these guys on the forums running crazy tunes, downpipes and other mods.

Dont buy a first MY or brand new model - that goes for any brand even Lexus - if you plan to keep it long time and have zero issues.

Oil leaks and angel eyes going out are not crazy problems.
Take it to good dealer if you have warranty- if not there are a ton of independent shops that do great work at normal prices.
Old 01-18-19, 03:11 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm glad that I own two Japanese, one German, and one American car. This is a tiny sample, but at least I've got skin in the game, and can really see that each forum that I'm on, is biased towards that brand, etc. I guess just human nature, people like to feel they made the right decision and a better one, I suppose. Generally speaking yes, Japanese cars are very reliable, that's been my experience. Are they as fun to drive? It's like eating salad every day--I have a coworker who started doing it and he's lost 11 lbs. His glucose was up to 16x and he's pre-diabetes. It's a great decision, but he's the first to admit he hates salad. He just wants to live longer. The salad is good for him. But does he hate people who drink beer and eat 24 wings to get started, when we're on the road together? No. At least he didn't say he hated me.
To generalize all Japanese cars as salads (AKA boring) is crazy and ludicrous.
That's like if I said all German cars are unreliable. I think Audi's are quite reliable. They are the most reliable German brand.

So the R32 Skyline GT-R is not fun to drive?
So the R34 Skyline GT-R is not fun to drive?
So the R35 GT-R is not fun to drive?
So the S2K is not fun to drive?
So the Civic Type R is not fun to drive?
So the 1G NSX is not fun to drive?
So the Supra is not fun to drive?
So the LFA is not fun to drive?

Are BMWs as reliable as a Camry- NO
But they are not POS cars. They are above average for Reliability and some models are bulletproof.
I’m actually surprised there are no issues with all these guys on the forums running crazy tunes, downpipes and other mods.

Dont buy a first MY or brand new model - that goes for any brand even Lexus - if you plan to keep it long time and have zero issues.

Oil leaks and angel eyes going out are not crazy problems.
Take it to good dealer if you have warranty- if not there are a ton of independent shops that do great work at normal prices.
No one is saying BMW are POS cars. I'm saying their reliability is not as good as other cars while some on here is arguing they are amazing. If they are amazing, why are BMW mostly leased and not owned forever?

That's an horrible excuse though. Its not crazy problems but its problems nonetheless. Its problems that wastes time in your day. The way I see it is - if I'm paying at least over 50K for a BMW, they can at least make it where problems don't occur till 100K miles.
This goes back to what I said prior. Owning a BMW out of warranty is expensive because of the reliability concerns. Even my BMW fanatic friend says so.
Old 01-18-19, 03:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Owning a luxury car is expensive, but at least with BMW it is also very satisfying.
Old 01-18-19, 03:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't give two shifts about reliability, I wont keep any car for more than 3 years anyway. Tech gets outdated too fast, and life is too short to drive an old car.
same for me but that view is not for everyone. the self righteousness of some though who do keep or buy cars with very high mileage gets a bit old...
Old 01-18-19, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
People that defend BMW reliability always gets me. Its crazy. If you think BMW is above average reliability, then go buy one and drive it pass 100K miles. Its well-known BMW reliability is trash. Its even admitted on BIMMERPOST but yet, for some reason, we have LexusClub members defending BMW - funny.
Notwithstanding the 1987 Hyundai Excel and 1984 Pontiac Fiero, both of which were disasters, probably the most poorly-built modern vehicle I have ever reviewed (though it goes back some years, to 2008) was a BMW M3. Sitting brand-new, on the lot, before it was even sold, when I sampled the back seat (which is always part of my write-ups), I went to pull down the center arm rest...and the entire assembly, hardware and all, just fell right out of the seat and down on the rear floor LOL. Some brilliant worker (or robot) on the assembly line had simply stuffed the assembly, *****-nilly, into the big hole in the back of the seat, and not even bothered to attach the hinges.

Then, when I went to get into the driver's seat and get ready for the test-drive, another major goof (yes, on the same car). There was an apparent short, motor, switch, or wiring malfunction in the power seat itself. I kept playing with the controls, trying to get the seats to adjust...it either wouldn't move at all, or just in half-inch jerks or so. Two service-techs came out from the shop, looked at it, and they couldn't get it to work properly either. Finally, after about 20 or 30 minutes of screwing around with all of the controls, I got the seat into a position where I could at least adequately drive, if not in the best comfort.....it was a manual-transmission car, and I needed to be able to work all three pedals adequately, especially the clutch, adequately.

Fortunately, I didn't find any other problems, and went on to have quite a test-drive. It rode too harsh for me, but it was a true performance sedan by almost any stretch of the mind. Handled and steered like it was on railroad tracks.
Old 01-18-19, 04:43 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Owning a luxury car is expensive, but at least with BMW it is also very satisfying.
Yes. Owning a luxury car is expensive. Doesn't meant you can't own a luxury car that's reliable as well.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
same for me but that view is not for everyone. the self righteousness of some though who do keep or buy cars with very high mileage gets a bit old...
Self righteousness of some though who do keep cars gets a bit old? Why is it a "self righteousness" to keep cars? There are many factors that would make one that switch up their cars every 3 years - money being one of them.

You think everyone is wealthy enough or has the money to lease a car every 3 years?
You don't think some people might have other priorities in life? Maybe an expensive mortgage keeps someone from buying a new car.
Maybe multiple kids that require a college education.
Maybe health insurance.

Lets be real for a second. No one wants to keep a car for 10+ years. People do it because its the cheaper way out. It saves money and it leaves money for other things they enjoy or need to buy. So its not self-righteous of these people.

If its self-righteous to keep a car for a long time, then I can say its materialistic for people to lease a car every 3 years because they must have the latest tech feature.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Notwithstanding the 1987 Hyundai Excel and 1984 Pontiac Fiero, both of which were disasters, probably the most poorly-built modern vehicle I have ever reviewed (though it goes back some years, to 2008) was a BMW M3. Sitting brand-new, on the lot, before it was even sold, when I sampled the back seat (which is always part of my write-ups), I went to pull down the center arm rest...and the entire assembly, hardware and all, just fell right out of the seat and down on the rear floor LOL. Some brilliant worker (or robot) on the assembly line had simply stuffed the assembly, *****-nilly, into the big hole in the back of the seat, and not even bothered to attach the hinges.

Then, when I went to get into the driver's seat and get ready for the test-drive, another major goof (yes, on the same car). There was an apparent short, motor, switch, or wiring malfunction in the power seat itself. I kept playing with the controls, trying to get the seats to adjust...it either wouldn't move at all, or just in half-inch jerks or so. Two service-techs came out from the shop, looked at it, and they couldn't get it to work properly either. Finally, after about 20 or 30 minutes of screwing around with all of the controls, I got the seat into a position where I could at least adequately drive, if not in the best comfort.....it was a manual-transmission car, and I needed to be able to work all three pedals adequately, especially the clutch, adequately.

Fortunately, I didn't find any other problems, and went on to have quite a test-drive. It rode too harsh for me, but it was a true performance sedan by almost any stretch of the mind. Handled and steered like it was on railroad tracks.
The E92 BMW M3 (V8) was a hell of a car. My friend had one and I drove it too. Like your assessment, I do agree that it was a true performance sedan. It was tons of fun to drive and it handled amazingly. However - the reliability of a E92 M3 is trash. Its just horrible. You wouldn't want to own one without warranty.
Old 01-18-19, 05:08 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Say what?????

E92 M3s are Extremely reliable and the interior quality is better than the current M3. This is personal experience as I owned e92 335i and Current gen M3.
E46 M3 did have many issues.
Old 01-18-19, 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
The E92 BMW M3 (V8) was a hell of a car. My friend had one and I drove it too. Like your assessment, I do agree that it was a true performance sedan. It was tons of fun to drive and it handled amazingly. However - the reliability of a E92 M3 is trash. Its just horrible. You wouldn't want to own one without warranty.
Agreed. I got a taste of both its performance and unreliability when I reviewed one.

E46 M3 did have many issues.
The one I had problems with was a 2008 model.
Old 01-18-19, 05:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Some people just have a depressing worldview, lol. This thread is about the new Supra - and lets just say it is not targeted towards people who live in the past.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra