Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19 | 09:49 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Frog98
J D Power Dependability Study is not "initial quality". In the 2018 study, BMW ranked 8th tied with Toyota out of 29 brands. It measures the number of problems per 100 vehicles experienced by owners of 2015 vehicles for the previous 12 months.
I know. In 2018, I did not see a BMW in the "dependability studies". I only saw in "initial quality" under the compact premium segment. You can see it says zero under dependability segment

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings/bmw/2018

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
05RollaXRS - 2015 Lexus RCF Carbon Package w/TVD

None of you have any issues with your high performance vehicles (BMW, Porsche, Lexus). That should say something.
Zero issues, but then mine only has 11,000 miles on it. So far everything has been great. Had the recall work done on high pressure fuel pumps and that is it. Have a big $400 inspection coming up this spring. Despite having a very high-strung free-revving engine, it runs like a charm.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-18-19 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-18-19 | 10:06 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I know. In 2018, I did not see a BMW in the "dependability studies". I only saw in "initial quality" under the compact premium segment. You can see it says zero under dependability segment

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings/bmw/2018

Zero issues, but then mine only has 11,000 miles on it. So far everything has been great. Had the recall work done on high pressure fuel pumps and that is it. Have a big $400 inspection coming up this spring. Despite having a very high-strung free-revving engine, it runs like a charm.
From your link click “read about this study”. Then click “2019 Highest Dependability ratings infographic”.
Old 01-18-19 | 10:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Frog98

From your link click “read about this study”. Then click “2019 Highest Dependability ratings infographic”.
Still don't see your point. 2019 will be released in June. It goes back to 2018 with the same info I posted above. If I click what you just said, this is the only relevant information I can see

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings...tudy-key-stats

Old 01-18-19 | 10:49 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Is a BMW under warranty not covered for unexpected repairs?
Sorry to enter the discussion. But BMW gives two years of warranty on my market. Whatever, So you don't have a lot of time to discover what is not functionning in your bmw. Also, I don't trust the aftermarket of a brand that was involved in the dieselgate and found ways to temper their european reliability ratings.

Also for this little discussion. BMW is a very strong brand in Switzerland. You have them everywhere. And when you discuss it with the towman, he has a ton of them to tow. He's barley never seeing a Lexus though, and yes, they are around too.
Old 01-18-19 | 11:24 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Still don't see your point. 2019 will be released in June. It goes back to 2018 with the same info I posted above. If I click what you just said, this is the only relevant information I can see

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings...tudy-key-stats

You are clicking on "read about this study" under J.D. Power Quality award. Click on "read about this study" under J.D. Power dependability award.
Old 01-18-19 | 11:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe, I don't want to argue about this anymore? Let's agree to disagree. Here is what it shows. Lexus as no. 1 in dependability. BMW ties Toyota. Maybe that is your point.

Old 01-19-19 | 12:04 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If you think thats a lot of $$$ as upkeep for $70-80k car with a high rev V8 then you’re not a car enthusiast and should buy a Prius.
The more expensive the car will obviously cost more in repairs. Its just that BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and etc... cost outrageously more than other brands.

The repairs for a 100K GT-R is cheaper than a 80K BMW M3. That should say something.

Just because you want cheap repairs doesn't mean you aren't a car enthusiast and should buy a Prius. Since when does being a car enthusiast have to be rich? That's almost like me calling out people who keep their car stock as non-car enthusiasts.
Old 01-19-19 | 06:36 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
The more expensive the car will obviously cost more in repairs. Its just that BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and etc... cost outrageously more than other brands.

The repairs for a 100K GT-R is cheaper than a 80K BMW M3. That should say something.

Just because you want cheap repairs doesn't mean you aren't a car enthusiast and should buy a Prius. Since when does being a car enthusiast have to be rich? That's almost like me calling out people who keep their car stock as non-car enthusiasts.
Where are you getting this info?

Again BMW offers an extended warranty for up to 100k miles.
That should last you 5-6 years.

After that you take your 7yr old M3 with over 100k miles to an independent shop that works on Bimmers.

They also offer extended maintenance plan.
Basically for the first 6-7yrs and 100k miles you will pay zero.

Lets stop spreading false info.

My dad who would only buy Lexus bec of Reliability and has no patience to go to dealer. He has since had 7series, Jaguar XJ and now Sclass. All have not given him 1 problem.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-19-19 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-19-19 | 07:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The point is just because a Car is not "#1" doesn't mean its a poorly made car. I've had Lexus vehicles for many years, and in general they've been very reliable. However, yesterday I sat in a new 750i M Sport, and sorry, but Lexus makes nothing like that car. Its insanely beautiful and well made inside. Its all a tradeoff...
Old 01-19-19 | 07:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I will be very surprised if the new Supra is not reliable. I highly doubt Toyota will allow the German designs to taint their brand reputation. Reliability IMO is a combination of both budgets as well as intentional planned obsolescence. I am willing to bet, lower cost bread and butter BMWs on the homeland are more reliable than the higher trim models sold in the United States.
Old 01-19-19 | 08:03 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
My dad who would only buy Lexus bec of Reliability and has no patience to go to dealer. He has since had 7series, Jaguar XJ and now Sclass. All have not given him 1 problem.
Surprised with the S class. I know a service advisor and a good friend is a salesman at Mercedes and whenever I say I want to buy a Mercedes, they both always laugh and say you better not keep it past the warranty just because of the issues they have and the cost to fix them. Despite what they say I may still lease one this summer. While it doesn’t cost anything because of warranty, my time is valuable and I don’t feel like spending my time at a dealer or just not having my car when I want it if they give me a loaner.
Old 01-19-19 | 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have two colleagues who have older S Classes and find them plenty reliable. Well over 100k miles.
Old 01-19-19 | 08:11 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I will be very surprised if the new Supra is not reliable. I highly doubt Toyota will allow the German designs to taint their brand reputation. Reliability IMO is a combination of both budgets as well as intentional planned obsolescence. I am willing to bet, lower cost bread and butter BMWs on the homeland are more reliable than the higher trim models sold in the United States.
I agree, I wouldn’t be concerned about reliability, at least if left stock.
Old 01-19-19 | 08:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The point is just because a Car is not "#1" doesn't mean its a poorly made car. I've had Lexus vehicles for many years, and in general they've been very reliable. However, yesterday I sat in a new 750i M Sport, and sorry, but Lexus makes nothing like that car. Its insanely beautiful and well made inside. Its all a tradeoff...
I recently sat in a 7 Series (non M Sport) while I was in the dealership and agree, it's a beautiful car. I also sat in an A8 which was very nice too but overall I preferred the interior on the 7 Series.
Old 01-19-19 | 09:47 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

BMW reliability has gotten better, I know colleagues who lease them with zero issues. With Lexus going turbo's their reliability might soon lessen to some degree. My IS200T engine needed new sparks plugs and injectors at less than 30k miles. Lexus cars are partly more reliable to the Euro's due to being less technologically advanced. Lexus is the laggard when it comes to new tech.

Regarding the new so-called supra, i don't foresee it being anymore reliable than it's cousin the Z4. They share everything else right down to the door jam plate except the fugly Toyota steering wheel.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra