Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 04:59 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Downsized turbocharged motors suck, IMO and experience. A V8 is way better than a V6.

No replacement for displacement, I'll say that until death.

Dropping the V8 and putting this V6 in the LS is unforgivable, I've said that from the start.
I don't consider more low end torque, higher output over a wider power band, and improved fuel economy in a lighter engine as sucking.
Old 02-21-19, 05:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
I don't consider more low end torque, higher output over a wider power band, and improved fuel economy in a lighter engine as sucking.
How bout turbo lag, more parts, and way more complexity?

Fuel economy myth is BS-- for a turbo to work it needs boost; the 6.2 Silverado gets not insignificant better gas mileage than the 450hp 3.5 Ecoboost. Also I might add LS500 owners aren't reporting great fuel economy numbers, especially around town. Both of the previous V8s got upper 20s HWY, with some 460 owners reporting 30MPG.

A good size engine won't lack low end torque in the first place, and you won't have to wait for it either.

Yes, turbos suck. I'd rather have a 200hp NA V6 in my E300 than the 2.0L turbo.
Old 02-21-19, 05:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Downsized turbocharged motors suck, IMO and experience. A V8 is way better than a V6.

No replacement for displacement, I'll say that until death.

Dropping the V8 and putting this V6 in the LS is unforgivable, I've said that from the start.

Fuel economy myth is BS-- for a turbo to work it needs boost; the 6.2 Silverado gets not insignificant better gas mileage than the 450hp 3.5 Ecoboost. Also I might add LS500 owners aren't reporting great fuel economy numbers, especially around town. Both of the previous V8s got upper 20s HWY, with some 460 owners reporting 30MPG.

A good size engine won't lack low end torque in the first place, and you won't have to wait for it either.

So cliche

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Not at all cliche.
Old 02-21-19, 05:13 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

What turbo cars have you owned? Modern turbo setups with newer tech come on early and comparable or better than bigger displacement engines in some cases.
Old 02-21-19, 05:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

So cliche
Lol that's your argument? It's absolutely true. I've driven my share of turbos and hated them all. I'm not saying my opinion is fact for everyone else, but yes, I do not care for downsized turbo BS.
Old 02-21-19, 06:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Lol that's your argument? It's absolutely true. I've driven my share of turbos and hated them all. I'm not saying my opinion is fact for everyone else, but yes, I do not care for downsized turbo BS.
I am not looking to argue. Its cliche in the sense that Lexus is playing the naturally aspirated theme while all of the peers among the high end brand have a turbo V8. The hybrid is lame in that here is no plug in and performance is not great. Both 500 and h are overweight and really could use a new engine. A V6 turbo would not solve it as it already has weight problems.

Auto journalists are lame in that they cannot afford these models (I can’t either, how refreshing is that for someone to say that onhere) and they pretend they are so thrilled with the naturally aspirated theme, they just don’t want to lose their invites to press launch tests . This LC could definitely use 550+ horses or even more. How do you get there with no turbo? Lexus should of built a V12 for this level of car, but they did not and that will be its downfall for the LC and the brand at the high end.

Your comments are definitely not wrong, you’re right about displacement, but the 5.0 is a decade old.

PS. I use a spigen magnet on my vent. My husband uses the same. We discovered this amazing way of mounting my phone in our cars because the owner of Lexus in Toronto was driving to an event we were at. We saw him and looked at the car for the first time ever at the lake we were all attending, we asked why he used the spigen vent magnet mount, he told use the navigation in the brand he represents and owns is so difficult to use he just does not bother. So there’s that too.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-21-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 06:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Disgusted.
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that's what's more than likely to happen.
  • The naming scheme is already in place '500'
  • The 5.0 is on the way out
  • The LC F spotted with large intercoolers means the TTV8 is near, so doubtful they'd keep two V8s

But we're getting a little off topic. This thread is about the Supra.
Old 02-21-19, 06:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I am not looking to argue. Its cliche in the sense that Lexus is playing the naturally aspirated theme while all of the peers among the high end brand have a turbo V8. The hybrid is lame in that here is no plug in and performance is not great. Both 500 and h are overweight and really could use a new engine. A V6 turbo would not solve it as it already has weight problems.

Auto journalists are lame in that they cannot afford these models (I can’t either, how refreshing is that for someone to say that onhere) and they pretend they are so thrilled with the naturally aspirated theme. This LC could definitely use 550+ horses. Lexus should of built a V12 for this level of car, but they did not and that will be its downfall.

Your comments are definitely not wrong.

PS. I use a spigen magnet on my vent. My husband uses the same. We discovered this amazing way of mounting my phone in our cars because the owner of Lexus in Toronto was driving to an event we were at. We saw him and looked at the car for the first time ever, we asked why he used the spigen vent magnet mount, he told use the navigation in the brand he represents and owns is so difficult to use he just does not bother. So there’s that too.

LOL I don't have the $100k ready for a check to be written either, that's pretty funny actually this whole thing.

And yes the Lexus interface is tragic; ironically the GX which is the oldest has the best stuff to use. We have that same stuff on our '11 IS350 and it's easy to use. We are still on the lookout for a lightly used GX half the reason bc it's so old, tried and true.
Old 02-21-19, 06:11 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

A BMW Supra? Another bad decision from Toyota/Lexus. Beginning to think there needs to be some leadership changes.
Old 02-22-19, 07:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Auto journalists are lame in that they cannot afford these models (I can’t either, how refreshing is that for someone to say that onhere) and they pretend they are so thrilled with the naturally aspirated theme, they just don’t want to lose their invites to press launch tests . This LC could definitely use 550+ horses or even more. How do you get there with no turbo? Lexus should of built a V12 for this level of car, but they did not and that will be its downfall for the LC and the brand at the high end.
I have driven both turbo and non-turbo vehicles. The most refined powertrain experience I have had, as far as I can remember, was the 5.0 in the G80. So smooth and yet powerful. And the fuel economy was actually about the same as what I get in my IS 300 (though, the G80 was RWD and not AWD). I would happily take the 5.0 over the 3.3T even with a hit to fuel economy. Though I am sure the 3.3T is a great engine, that 5.0's smoothness and sound are awesome.
Old 02-22-19, 08:02 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

From a marketing standpoint, if you are not going turbo, you will lose. Plain and simple. Too many armchair and paper specs racers and most consumers are uninformed. All they see is 3.0 6cyl twin turbo, 400hp, 0-60mph in 4.0s, 20/30/25 EPA rated, but none of them realizing once you get into boost, those EPA numbers plummet. Everyone expects a free lunch but all they get are table bread and tap water.
Old 02-22-19, 09:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
I have driven both turbo and non-turbo vehicles. The most refined powertrain experience I have had, as far as I can remember, was the 5.0 in the G80. So smooth and yet powerful. And the fuel economy was actually about the same as what I get in my IS 300 (though, the G80 was RWD and not AWD). I would happily take the 5.0 over the 3.3T even with a hit to fuel economy. Though I am sure the 3.3T is a great engine, that 5.0's smoothness and sound are awesome.
Nice. That V8 in the G80 is turbo?
Old 02-22-19, 09:14 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Nice. That V8 in the G80 is turbo?
Nope, it is naturally-aspirated!
Old 02-22-19, 09:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Nope, it is naturally-aspirated!
Was not sure what it was.
Old 02-22-19, 02:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,937 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Same.

As for Toyota not being able to make a new Supra themselves this is ridiculous they have unmatched engineering resources, tech, cash etc. the decision to partner with BMW was strictly financial.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra