Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 02:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Same.

As for Toyota not being able to make a new Supra themselves this is ridiculous they have unmatched engineering resources, tech, cash etc. the decision to partner with BMW was strictly financial.
They use their resourced on making soulless disposable cars. Any of their attempts at making anything that even remotely appeals to enthusiasts have been half assed and utterly disappointing. Its silly to wait for Toyota to develop anything worthwhile.
Old 04-10-19, 07:40 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I’m a Supra fan used to own 2 mk3s, but this jap/German hybrid junk it’s like asking for problems nightmares with 2019 models with all the Bmw **** on it, if you really look where Supra came from sc chassis tweaked partnership with Lexus cal design maybe?
this time they went too damn far all the way to Germany, and after all this waiting for the Supra is marketed for the new buyer, not a 90s, it’s simply for new millennials. And since the reputation is already built we car take shortcuts like everyone else. “Let’s build cheesy looking sorts cars for them they’ll look cool!”
So i wonder if toyota also training their techs to work on Bmw engines,tranys, ecu and all that?, do they even want the service back?
Im really not all that surprised what toyota did to it’s most loyalists In Mkiv Supra world, yeah it’s a big let down so far.
As a Lexus sc owner and fanatic, I would have thought the LC500 would have been the new Supra chassis with a boosted v8
under the hood, but hell no they ****ed up big time I mean majorly sucked all toyota Supra owners ***** in my book!
Ill stick with my Jdm sc300/400s and build them, ride them and enjoy them till I can’t!!!
Old 04-10-19, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
So I wonder if toyota also training their techs to work on Bmw engines, tranys, ecu and all that?, do they even want the service back?
Well, Toyota has been training their techs to work on the Subaru flat-four powerplants in the FT86. They have had to deal with non-Toyota-sourced engines before. Remember, some years ago, rebadged Chevy Cavaliers were sold in the Japanese market under the Toyota name.
Old 04-11-19, 05:10 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I’m a Supra fan used to own 2 mk3s, but this jap/German hybrid junk it’s like asking for problems nightmares with 2019 models with all the Bmw **** on it, if you really look where Supra came from sc chassis tweaked partnership with Lexus cal design maybe?
this time they went too damn far all the way to Germany, and after all this waiting for the Supra is marketed for the new buyer, not a 90s, it’s simply for new millennials. And since the reputation is already built we car take shortcuts like everyone else. “Let’s build cheesy looking sorts cars for them they’ll look cool!”
So i wonder if toyota also training their techs to work on Bmw engines,tranys, ecu and all that?, do they even want the service back?
Im really not all that surprised what toyota did to it’s most loyalists In Mkiv Supra world, yeah it’s a big let down so far.
As a Lexus sc owner and fanatic, I would have thought the LC500 would have been the new Supra chassis with a boosted v8
under the hood, but hell no they ****ed up big time I mean majorly sucked all toyota Supra owners ***** in my book!
Ill stick with my Jdm sc300/400s and build them, ride them and enjoy them till I can’t!!!
Let's say they did build a 100% in house Toyota Supra costing around $90K how well would it sell? Would you buy one at that price? LC500 and RC-F are already GT cars adding a 3rd car is probably more complicated than it seems. Toyota bench marked the Cayman for this car and wanted to stay in same class as Nissan Z even though the Z is way cheaper. I don't agree with everything Toyota did with the MKV but at same time I'm not mad or upset as others. It is what it is.

I own a MKIV Supra had a GTE swapped SC most of my friends with Supra hate the MKV I don't as much as they do. We will never know internally why Toyota went with the BMW partnership my guess is to cut costs. The MKIV Supra was built very well but it is what it is because the aftermarket pushed the limits which I suspect will happen again. I see a few big name vendors already on board and the B58 is very easy to tune, time will tell how it does with reliability. I'm sure we will see a 1000HP MKV within first year of release for those obsessed with big numbers.
Old 04-11-19, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They use their resourced on making soulless disposable cars. Any of their attempts at making anything that even remotely appeals to enthusiasts have been half assed and utterly disappointing. Its silly to wait for Toyota to develop anything worthwhile.
I can't say I disagree. When a Camry SE consists of plastic exhaust tips that are not even tips but appendages, I think that's a new low. But, it's also on the Audi SQ5 which is quite surprising. Just me, I consider this type of thing much worse than fake vents on fenders or fake portholes that were en vogue 5-10 yrs. ago.
Old 04-11-19, 07:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Toyota has been training their techs to work on the Subaru flat-four powerplants in the FT86. They have had to deal with non-Toyota-sourced engines before. Remember, some years ago, rebadged Chevy Cavaliers were sold in the Japanese market under the Toyota name.
Lexus dealers repairs and services all makes and models. Their mechanics are outsourced, not factory techs so they work on all models.
Old 04-11-19, 08:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Lexus dealers repairs and services all makes and models. Their mechanics are outsourced, not factory techs so they work on all models.
Doesn 't mean they actually know what they're doing (Toyota). They told me if I bring the LCA bushings (I'm supplying the parts), and have them install them for me, it would be $1,100. I said I don't think you know what's needed, I was thinking more like $150. The guy actually laughed, and I said what's so funny? He said for a Highlander, it costs $700, you have a LS430. I said so what, all I'm asking you to do is to press the old bushings out, and the new ones in. He goes we can't do $150 for an Avalon either. I said you do realize those are not even remotely similar to my car, those are FWD or AWD but at any rate have drive wheels on the front? He goes we know what we're doing. If you need us, we'll be here. hahahahahahahahaha So I took it to the indie who charged me just under $300. The $150 price I got was from a member here in FLA where I suspect it's a little less.
Old 04-11-19, 08:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Doesn 't mean they actually know what they're doing (Toyota). They told me if I bring the LCA bushings (I'm supplying the parts), and have them install them for me, it would be $1,100. I said I don't think you know what's needed, I was thinking more like $150. The guy actually laughed, and I said what's so funny? He said for a Highlander, it costs $700, you have a LS430. I said so what, all I'm asking you to do is to press the old bushings out, and the new ones in. He goes we can't do $150 for an Avalon either. I said you do realize those are not even remotely similar to my car, those are FWD or AWD but at any rate have drive wheels on the front? He goes we know what we're doing. If you need us, we'll be here. hahahahahahahahaha So I took it to the indie who charged me just under $300. The $150 price I got was from a member here in FLA where I suspect it's a little less.
Well sounds like you were arguing over price rather than know how....
Old 04-11-19, 10:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Well sounds like you were arguing over price rather than know how....
No, because I wanted bushings pressed out, and in, and stated that. I don't even think they know what a LS430 is to tell you the truth, it's probably something they heard of once. Without even understanding the job, they simply like a parrot spit out prices they have seen on Avalons and Highlanders, and proceeded to quote them. When I had a diagram with me and wanted to show them, they weren't interested. That's another reason why I would not want a high end Toyota. It's like having a Golf R. You may have a flagship like car, but you'll be treated like someone with a Jetta lol
Old 04-14-19, 10:37 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a former MKIV owner myself, I don't hate the MKV. I do regret selling my Supra at times, but current MKIV owners should really not be mad at the MKV because the value of MKIVs have increased since the BMW collaboration announcement. With that said, it is a bloodbath in the MKV section at Supraforums. Talk about toxic environment.
Old 04-15-19, 06:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nicedude
As a former MKIV owner myself, I don't hate the MKV. I do regret selling my Supra at times, but current MKIV owners should really not be mad at the MKV because the value of MKIVs have increased since the BMW collaboration announcement. With that said, it is a bloodbath in the MKV section at Supraforums. Talk about toxic environment.
My aunt is kind of amazing when it comes to how many valuable cars she did not hold onto, the Supra being one, but I sorta wish she had kept the M3 lightweight, some are pushing six figs today. Nobody wanted that car in 1995-96 they were so expensive and lacked a/c/radio/sunroof etc. She got it in the high 30's brand new! Also interesting Supra talk is similar to GTI in the MK designations....any other Japanese cars do that?
Old 04-16-19, 03:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Lol, care to post a link to a juicy thread?
Old 04-16-19, 05:44 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol, care to post a link to a juicy thread?
Most of the other MKIV owners are angry at the MKV. I'm not as bothered by it as they are though.

This thread pretty much sums it up: https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...-the-MKV-Supra
Old 04-17-19, 03:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Most of the other MKIV owners are angry at the MKV. I'm not as bothered by it as they are though.

This thread pretty much sums it up: https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...-the-MKV-Supra
Thanks!

425 pages, good lord.

Kinda similar to how most of us "LS traditionalists" hate the new LS. That car is a disaster.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-17-19 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 08:25 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by plex

lol....i hope the hate continues....pushes prices down to maybe below MSRP (one can wish). Right now, my dealers are asking 5k-10k over sticker because of strong demand....

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra